Author Topic: Where were you on Sept. 11th. 2001?  (Read 947 times)

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
Where were you on Sept. 11th. 2001?
« on: September 10, 2021, 07:22:20 PM »
And what was your reaction & thoughts to what happened that dreadful day?
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline Mr Mannn

Re: Where were you on Sept. 11th. 2001?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 08:02:40 PM »
And what was your reaction & thoughts to what happened that dreadful day?
I was at work when it happened. they shut everything down and let us take shifts watching the TV in the elevator rooms. Then they took us off the job, gave us a crash course training, and put us in the credit department where all charges were approved, even late or over limit cards. auto-approval for everything.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 08:52:50 PM »
I was home, recovering from a work injury. I had got in the habit of doing internet while watching Fox and Friends, though I hadn't found conservative web forums yet.

I was watching when E.D. Hill said that there was news of a small plane hitting the WTC, and the reportage of this "accident" continued until the second plane went in. I knew, then, and I think so did everyone else. I called my mother, who lived elsewhere in the state, after the second plane to get her to turn on the TV, and we called back and forth a couple of times during the morning.

My sister, who lived in Finland at the time, was visiting our mother; they had just been to visit me, and my sister had brought one of her Finnish friends to try to match up with me (it didn't take, and she and I are happily wed to others today), and they were back at Mom's, getting ready to fly back to Finland on the 12th (which obviously didn't happen...they got out 3 or 4 days later).

This friend was a structural engineer by trade. During either the first or second call, before it happened, she said "those buildings will fall; they cannot stand." We asked "how will they fall?" Fearing for those caught under them falling like trees. "Probably straight down," she said. So when it happened we were not terribly surprised, and I was immunized against all of the "deliberate demolition" conspiracy theories before they appeared.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 09:09:42 PM »
I was a freshman in high school. My school had TVs everywhere. I would have been in my physics class when the first plane hit. I think we heard about it either at the end of class, or as I went from one class to the next (history). There was talk of a plane "accidentally" hitting the tower.

We watched the towers collapse on live TV in our history class. The irony is not lost on me. I think we may have stayed late in that class, because that ordeal lasted longer than the class period.

At lunch, I remember bin Laden's face being shown on TV.

My algebra class followed lunch. The teacher was the only one I remember actually trying to carry on with class instruction.

Later we watched Bush's "Freedom itself was attacked today" address in the gymnasium (I don't remember if it was actually gym class, or if they just decided to assemble students there.

As for emotions, well, anger above all else. And this revisitation has rekindled that somewhat. Both anger for the act itself, and anger and sadness for the unity we had then that we have lost now.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 09:36:00 PM »
Was going to type several paragraphs, but this alone will suffice.

Worked in suburban Chicago in a tall office tower when the news broke.  Rumors ran rampant in the area regarding other attacks around the country and specifically locally, and couldn't get ahold of my wife who was teaching school just north of downtown Chicago.  She finally had a chance to call and had not even heard about the Twin Tower/Pentagon attacks.  Remember, this was 20 years ago where cell phones were far less prevalent or even turned on.

By 1 pm, my company called off work for the day and soon after the wife arrived home as well as her school had ended their declared their classes off.

Perhaps the most eerie aspect of driving home next to O'Hare airport was that there were no planes taking off or landing, which continued for most of the week.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 04:53:06 AM »
Living in Salt Lake City at the time, I was preparing for work. Had the TV on, though I find that normally to be an irritant. No bleating, please, at that hour of the morning.

Got to work, and just about everybody was in the break room watching things unfold. Horrifying. I just remember being stunned.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 08:10:26 AM »
20  years ago I had woke up, turned on the TV just after the first plane hit the first tower. Except for a short trip to get our dog Addie from the vet, I sat and watched the horrific events  of that day.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 08:38:46 AM »
Working at Radio Shack's Fort Worth faciility which was attached to an outlet mall.

I heard about it on an Internet Radio station but it and all the stations crashed.  Downstairs in the cafeteria they had TV coverage and that is where I saw the 2nd plane hit.

We all worked on and off that day but the enormity did not hit until later.

I was unable to make it home (then Los Angeles) for 2 weeks!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 09:09:53 AM »
Working at Radio Shack's Fort Worth faciility which was attached to an outlet mall.

I heard about it on an Internet Radio station but it and all the stations crashed.  Downstairs in the cafeteria they had TV coverage and that is where I saw the 2nd plane hit.

We all worked on and off that day but the enormity did not hit until later.

I was unable to make it home (then Los Angeles) for 2 weeks!

Sounds similar.  And probably know exactly where your facility was located as Fort Worth was my old stomping grounds. :cheersmate:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 09:37:02 AM »
I was loading a container-truck with aluminum-coils and assorted rainware, bound for the Caribbean via Fort Lauderdale...  Noticed a bunch of employees suddenly crowding into a conference-room.

I hopped-off the forklift, glimpsed at Tower-1 smoking, then hopped-back on the lift to finish loading.  Weirdly, the truck-driver looked Middle-Eastern... with half-closed eyelids.  He was sitting on the loading-dock, oblivious to everything.  And my brain hadn't  put 2-and-2 together yet about the crash being a 'terrorist-act'.

The truck was gone a few minutes before Tower-1 tumbled, with Tower-2 smoking...  I realized it was a terrorist-act.   

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 04:19:58 PM »
Sounds similar.  And probably know exactly where your facility was located as Fort Worth was my old stomping grounds. :cheersmate:
The old Tandy Towers before they moved to the new HQ campus next to the Trinity.  Then went broke.
We used to stay at the Courtyard that had the gargoyles.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 05:23:04 PM »
Dodge City Kansas, working at the Dairy Queen.  Didn't listen to any news driving to work to open up, got there and the boss said something happened in New York.  No TVs in the store, so we spent the day listening to the radio, hearing descriptions from customers, and wondering if we should be there or getting ready for something to hit the fan. Dodge is in the middle of nowhere, but there's two major meat packing plants, large feed yards, and a lot of railway convergence, so it's an improbable target, but not impossible when something that had never happened before was going on.

My wife was in her first year teaching with a class of first grade sped students.  She was seeing much more than I was and really freaking out while holding together for the kids.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 07:44:04 PM »
I was living in Florida at the time and vacationing in Cashiers North Carolina.

Slept in and was making coffee,  & turned on the TV around 9:00 ... Just in time to see the second plane hit at 9:03. Was stunned, heart was pounding, and screamed "You bastards!" at the TV.

Heard the 'thwap, thwap, thwap' sounds, not realizing until later, that it was people  jumping to their deaths.

When the second tower fell & the huge clouds of smoke started rolling down the street sending all the people running for their lives ...

I lost it & could not stop crying.

Later found out that the terrorists had taken lessons on how to fly (not LAND)  :argh: the planes, just 11 miles north of us, in Venice, Florida!!!

I could go on and on, but won't.  The anger I felt & the memories of the weeks that followed will stay with me forever. 

« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 08:00:43 PM by ABC-2 »
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 05:11:09 PM »
I was working at a Post Office and recently took the janitor job as a way to ease myself into retirement. I had the only radio in the place so walked around keeping everyone updated.

My wife had just started her small business and called crying and said, "is this it ?". I tried to calm her down and told her to go home and "pet her dog".

Part of my job was gassing up some of the trucks. When i got to the gas station they told me one of the towers had collapsed. I was in shock and asked them to repeat what they said. I could not believe the entire building collapsed.

There were all kinds of rumors about various places being attacked but when the Pentagon was reported attacked I was not sure to believe it until it was confirmed later.

The next day I heard all the problems our military was having finding where to send our jets. One report was a couple jets were sent in the wrong direction. I was very concerned that we were not really prepared to protect our homeland.
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne