Author Topic: Why are Americans in the dark about the benefits of food stamps to the societ  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Harmony Blue

Why are Americans in the dark about the benefits of food stamps to the society as a whole?

Last edited Sun May 6, 2012, 02:34 PM USA/ET - Edit history (2)

I just don't understand why there hasn't been a push by progressives to educate people about the positives food stamps provide to the people that receive them but even much more. What I am alluding to, is that, most of the business super markets, and Wal Mart are seeing these days are coming from people on food stamps. How do I know this? These businesses openly plan their best sales and deals the first two weeks of the month when food stamp funds are available. In addition, they stagger the majority of their hourly wage shifts front loading them the first two weeks of each month, and then cutting back the rest of the month and the cycle begins once more. From the very bottom (food stamp recipients, wage worker) to the very top (JP Morgan) food stamps has been, and will be an integral way of ensuring the bottom doesn't fall out. This is why corporations are not really receptive to cutting food stamps, because there is something for them to gain as well in all of this. Republicans wanting to cut food stamps are essentially against the entire chain of economic activity from the bottom all the way to the top. My question is what can we do to empower people to be better informed?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002651487

The problem I have with food stamps is, they have become a permanent source of income for some people. When this happens there is no desire for the people receiving them to do anything to better their own situation. This leaves them totally dependent on the government for the very food they eat. When they want more they, simply vote for the democrat who promises them the most increase in their benefits.

When the economy is strong and there isn't much need for food stamps that will benefit society much more than simply just giving people free shit. The more independent that people are, the worse it is for the democrats.

elleng
1. May be an old feeling of embarrassment,

most not familiar with people who needed or used food stamps, and some of the 'us vs. them' mind-set.

I would be embarrassed if I lived off the labor of other people, I would rather eat nothing but Ramen noodles than to eat steak on the taxpayer's dime.

rfranklin
2. Republicans love to whip food stamp recipients because much of their base gets tumescent when...

they hear talk like that. They think, "Oh, those lazy bastards are taking my tax dollars and getting a free lunch!" and that's as far as their thinking goes. Even if they temselves have been out of a job for six months with no prospects.

Then again we will take jobs beneath us rather than collect food stamps, if it comes down to it.

Ruby the Liberal
3. Economically, food stamps are the #1 return on investment

to goose the economy (unemployment benefits are second).

Bottom of the pile? Tax cuts with a negative return on the dollar.

In order to get people to understand what amounts to basic math you first have to overcome that they don't give a rip if people starve. Once you get past that initial objection, it is 2nd grade math of return # minus investment # (no algebra required).

The problem is, when you inject tax dollars into the economy all you are doing is returning a small portion of the money that was taken from the economy in the first place. It's kind of like if you borrow $20 from your dad then use that to buy him a $20 gift card you haven't really given him anything.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Doubleplusungood

There should be a give and take when receiving food stamps. First, you cannot vote in any election till you are off food stamps and any other form of public assistance. Second, you are means tested for ability to work. Those that are able bodied will do community service to offset the cost of the food stamps. Such work as picking up litter along the roads, painting over grafiti on public buildings, and various other custodial duties. There would even be envelop stuffing and paper stapling to off set the costs.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
There should be a give and take when receiving food stamps. First, you cannot vote in any election till you are off food stamps and any other form of public assistance. Second, you are means tested for ability to work. Those that are able bodied will do community service to offset the cost of the food stamps. Such work as picking up litter along the roads, painting over grafiti on public buildings, and various other custodial duties. There would even be envelop stuffing and paper stapling to off set the costs.

They would claim that is slavery. Personally though, I'd love it if they had to do something to get the food stamps.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Kyle Ricky

I don't agree with this, as I know people who work a minimum wage job to support their family and they are food stamps. As long as you working and getting a little bit of help to support your family, I don't find anything wrong with it.

My main problem with food stamps is the people who also get cash assistance. Basically the ones who are full welfare, and the generation welfare bum families. If you are sitting on your ass while I am working 40+ hours a week to support your lazy ass, then we have an issue.

I guess that is the independent in me talking here.

Edit:

I don't care if you are working a low level job to support your family, be it McD's, BK, or scrubbing toilets at your local YMCA. But, as long as you are working and doing your part, you should be able to get any government assistance you need. As for the lazy asses who refuse to get off their ass and do something with themselves? They can starve for all I care. I am all for helping those who are making an effort to help themselves, and telling the ones who aren't to fudge off.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 03:26:03 PM by Kyle Ricky »

Offline MrsSmith

Personally, I have no problem with the government (and all of us, of course); helping someone get an Associates degree so they can get a real job, WIC food, emergency health assistance, and basic shelter.  However, all those needs would be better and more cheaply met through charity rather than government.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline dixierose

I don't agree with this, as I know people who work a minimum wage job to support their family and they are food stamps. As long as you working and getting a little bit of help to support your family, I don't find anything wrong with it.

My main problem with food stamps is the people who also get cash assistance. Basically the ones who are full welfare, and the generation welfare bum families. If you are sitting on your ass while I am working 40+ hours a week to support your lazy ass, then we have an issue.

Edit:

I don't care if you are working a low level job to support your family, be it McD's, BK, or scrubbing toilets at your local YMCA. But, as long as you are working and doing your part, you should be able to get any government assistance you need. As for the lazy asses who refuse to get off their ass and do something with themselves? They can starve for all I care. I am all for helping those who are making an effort to help themselves, and telling the ones who aren't to fudge off.

Yeah...right now I'm working at a Waffle House, and I do qualify for food stamps. If a better job doesn't come along soon I'm gonna have to take the govt up on them. Hopefully not for long, though. I HATE the idea of having to do it; but I don't feel too guilty because I AM working and paying taxes...
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Zeus

In general I don't have a problem with the food stamp programs. Where I have a problem is the people selling the benefits for cig & beer Money. Those people need to be caught and put in Work camps for awhile.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline dixierose

In general I don't have a problem with the food stamp programs. Where I have a problem is the people selling the benefits for cig & beer Money. Those people need to be caught and put in Work camps for awhile.

They just busted 7 or 8 people in GA for that. They also confiscated a Mazuratti and a couple of Mercedes that people got from their scam. I'm not sure how it worked; but it was a multi-million dollar scam.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Kyle Ricky

They just busted 7 or 8 people in GA for that. They also confiscated a Mazuratti and a couple of Mercedes that people got from their scam. I'm not sure how it worked; but it was a multi-million dollar scam.

Do they still have paper food stamps there? Here in Pa is a debit card. So the chance of fraud is low.

Offline Kyle Ricky

Yeah...right now I'm working at a Waffle House, and I do qualify for food stamps. If a better job doesn't come along soon I'm gonna have to take the govt up on them. Hopefully not for long, though. I HATE the idea of having to do it; but I don't feel too guilty because I AM working and paying taxes...

If you are working to support your family and can't do it all with the income you are getting. Then by all means, take them up on any help they want to give. I applaud you because you are at least making an effort and trying to do your part.

Offline FlippyDoo

• Oh NO!!!!! It's a rebel windmill!!!!
Ruby the Liberal
3. Economically, food stamps are the #1 return on investment

to goose the economy (unemployment benefits are second).

Bottom of the pile? Tax cuts with a negative return on the dollar.

In order to get people to understand what amounts to basic math you first have to overcome that they don't give a rip if people starve. Once you get past that initial objection, it is 2nd grade math of return # minus investment # (no algebra required).

Basic math? Wasn't it the DUmmies who claimed that every dollar that the government stole from people who worked and gave to people who didn't work was miraculously multiplied into $1.33 by the magic unicorn fairy?

Maybe I just have a hard time accepting math from people who say their spirit-guides smell like smoke and bacon.
Fictional spirit-guiding by appointment.
conservativecave.com & conservativeunderground.com

For new members and lurkers: I am a fictional spirit-guide with no smell whatsoever. I am part irish setter and part pigeon. If you don't smell any strange smells it means I'm probably standing next to you. As I am a fictional character anything I post should possibly be considered fictional.

Offline Zeus

Do they still have paper food stamps there? Here in Pa is a debit card. So the chance of fraud is low.

Texas went to the Debit card setup a few yrs back. Reduced the fraud by millions of dollars but they still find a way.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.

I have a problem with food stamps when they become a permanent source of income. People falling on hard times and actively trying to get off them are who it should be for.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
These DUmmies need to be an overnight cashier at Wallyworld on the first of the month.

At 11:45pm or so, you'll see people start "hovering" near the checkout lanes, shopping carts piled up with mostly microwave frozen stuff.  What few that have money will make wine, cigarette, and beer purchases about this time, leaving their overflowing carts parked...wherever.

At 12:01am, they will start thru the checkouts, piling so much onto the belts that the food won't move, some of the frozen food has been in the cart long enough to start thawing.  No produce, no fresh veggies, not much milk or dairy (except for those with WIC checks).  Tons of processed and sugared foods (doughnuts, cookies, candies, chips).

This will continue until 3-4:00am, all ages (mostly under 30), all sizes (mostly 2XL), screaming kids, drunk "baby daddies", reeking of cigarette smoke, alcohol, and BO.  2 or 3 of them will have their cards rejected for some reason, 2 or 3 more will go over the card limit.  I didn't get much grief from these people, mainly because I'm 6'2" and 240lbs, but the female cashiers working with me would sometimes get an earful, all except Vicki.  She is the kind that would (and COULD) kick ass and take names, should the need arise.  She and the overnight manager never got along well, but he was one that would have our backs if the need arose, and it usually did, on the first of the month.

To give you some idea just how busy it was, my average IPH (Item Per Hour) count was around 400-450.  It would be over 700 on the first of the month.  This is AFTER MIDNIGHT, folks!  99% were EBT cards, some so worn I had to manually key in the number, because the magnetic strip on the back was GONE!
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Doubleplusungood

They would claim that is slavery. Personally though, I'd love it if they had to do something to get the food stamps.

The slavery claim would easily be dismissed since it would be purely optional to be on food stamps. If the person didn't like the rules they could voluntarily drop out at any time.

Offline Doubleplusungood

Edit:

I should have clarified that a person who is working a real job would be exempt from the civi duty work requirement. Basically, the people content to never work, collect food stamps, and yet are perfectly healthy and able enough to work a real job are the one's I'm targeting. We have to draw the line eventually as entitlements are currently unfunded to the tune of 100 trillion dollars. There will be no entitlements for anyone if we don't change up the way things are done.

Offline MrsSmith

It's ugly, but I think there should be limits on how much an obese person can get.  We know a couple that ate themselves onto disability, and so also get food stamps, rental assistance, help with utilities, etc.  I think there should be some program for properly feeding that family, to make sure their (rather thin) children get enough good, nutritious food, and the parents get ONLY enough good, nutritious food.  I know that's a lot of government control, but really...we pay ALL their bills simply because they eat too much.  If obesity is such a major health problem, should our government really provide so generously for those that simply eat themselves out of a need to work??

Offline I_B_Perky

These DUmmies need to be an overnight cashier at Wallyworld on the first of the month.

At 11:45pm or so, you'll see people start "hovering" near the checkout lanes, shopping carts piled up with mostly microwave frozen stuff.  What few that have money will make wine, cigarette, and beer purchases about this time, leaving their overflowing carts parked...wherever.

At 12:01am, they will start thru the checkouts, piling so much onto the belts that the food won't move, some of the frozen food has been in the cart long enough to start thawing.  No produce, no fresh veggies, not much milk or dairy (except for those with WIC checks).  Tons of processed and sugared foods (doughnuts, cookies, candies, chips).

This will continue until 3-4:00am, all ages (mostly under 30), all sizes (mostly 2XL), screaming kids, drunk "baby daddies", reeking of cigarette smoke, alcohol, and BO.  2 or 3 of them will have their cards rejected for some reason, 2 or 3 more will go over the card limit.  I didn't get much grief from these people, mainly because I'm 6'2" and 240lbs, but the female cashiers working with me would sometimes get an earful, all except Vicki.  She is the kind that would (and COULD) kick ass and take names, should the need arise.  She and the overnight manager never got along well, but he was one that would have our backs if the need arose, and it usually did, on the first of the month.

To give you some idea just how busy it was, my average IPH (Item Per Hour) count was around 400-450.  It would be over 700 on the first of the month.  This is AFTER MIDNIGHT, folks!  99% were EBT cards, some so worn I had to manually key in the number, because the magnetic strip on the back was GONE!

I have friend from work that works nites at wallyworld to put her kid thru college. She tells me stories exactly like what you are saying DD. Pisses her off.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Kyle Ricky

The best time to get the entertainment at Wal*mart is to go around the first of the month and income tax time. That is when all the welfare bums come out. Especially income tax time. They come in with their 8 kids, probably all on ssi for some fraudulent reason like ADHD or something, and spend their big return checks that daddy received from working 2 weeks out of the year (You know, he works two weeks out of the year, probably with a temp agency; pays in .50 cents, claims head of household, and gets an $8,0000.00 return). You can always tell them because they are all scruffy, smelly, and look like they been living under a bridge. The kids are wearing clothes with dirt and what looks like food all over them. They also have  holes in all their pants, and no socks with what you might call shoes. They usually go running around the store like a pack of dogs screaming and taking things off the shelves and throwing them on the floor while they scream at their parents about how bad they need to have that particular item.

The thing that really ticked me off about these people is that they were the worse ones to deal with, at least in my area. They would walk around the store like they were all that. They expected us to roll the red carpet out for them and praise them just for entering the store. I couldn't tell you how many times I wanted to kick a couple of them in the nads.

That wasn't the worse of it though. The worse was when they would try to break the cardinal rule. That rule was to take a full shopping cart or more down the express lane, you know the lane that is supposed to be 20 items or less. I remember one time I almost got written up because a welfare bum tried to do just that. She showed up with two carts full of stuff and actually had the nerve to ask if she can go through the 20 items or less. I was a CSM at the time and this was already a bad day for me. So I looked at her and said: "Sure I would be happy to help you. Tell me, what 20 items would like to check out". She went straight to the store manager to report me. I got written and told me they should fire me, but instead told me not to do it again.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:54:19 PM by Kyle Ricky »

Offline sybilll

Edit:

I'm sorry, but if ONE minimum wage job is not enough to put food on your families' table, work TWO minimum wage jobs.  I am just one rung above the working poor, so I get a bit pissed when I can fill one shopping bag using my $30/week food budget (during winter when utility bills are so high), while the 3 overflowing buggies in front of me pay with EBT cards, then proceed to get in their cars 8 years newer than mine, and make a call from their iPhones?  Yeah, I have a problem with that. 

Offline I_B_Perky

The best time to get the entertainment at Wal*mart is to go around the first of the month and income tax time. That is when all the welfare bums come out. Especially income tax time. They come in with their 8 kids, probably all on ssi for some fraudulent reason like ADHD or something, and spend their big return checks that daddy received from working 2 weeks out of the year (You know, he works two weeks out of the year, probably with a temp agency; pays in .50 cents, claims head of household, and gets an $8,0000.00 return). You can always tell them because they are all scruffy, smelly, and look like they been living under a bridge. The kids are wearing clothes with dirt and what looks like food all over them. They also have  holes in all their pants, and no socks with what you might call shoes. They usually go running around the store like a pack of dogs screaming and taking things off the shelves and throwing them on the floor while they scream at their parents about how bad they need to have that particular item.

The thing that really ticked me off about these people is that they were the worse ones to deal with, at least in my area. They would walk around the store like they were all that. They expected us to roll the red carpet out for them and praise them just for entering the store. I couldn't tell you how many times I wanted to kick a couple of them in the nads.

That wasn't the worse of it though. The worse was when they would try to break the cardinal rule. That rule was to take a full shopping cart or more down the express lane, you know the lane that is supposed to be 20 items or less. I remember one time I almost got written up because a welfare bum tried to do just that. She showed up with two carts full of stuff and actually had the nerve to ask if she can go through the 20 items or less. I was a CSM at the time and this was already a bad day for me. So I looked at her and said: "Sure I would be happy to help you. Tell me, what 20 items would like to check out". She went straight to the store manager to report me. I got written and told me they should fire me, but instead told me not to do it again.

Back years ago when I worked at the restaurant we could always identify the welfare folks. We are talking a fast food chain restaurant here. Most people come in, know what they want, order, get their food and either eat there or take it with them. The welfare folks would come in, look at the entire menu (Look! They got chicken! They got fish! They got chicken and fish!) and ten minutes later finally order after holding up the line. Their brats would run around in the dining room and make asses of themselves, the adults would leave a damn mess at the table, and complain if you didn't wait hand and foot on them. And they were always dirty.

One thing that always got me then and gets me now. Why are poor people always so dirty? I mean times got tough for the perky family back in the late seventies... but we always bathed. Sometime in cold water when the gas was shut off, but we bathed. I washed my clothes by hand in the sink back when the electric got shut off with a bar of soap cause we couldn't afford clothes detergent. But my clothes were fairly clean, if somewhat wrinkled. I just don't understand it.  :mental:

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline MrsSmith

Back years ago when I worked at the restaurant we could always identify the welfare folks. We are talking a fast food chain restaurant here. Most people come in, know what they want, order, get their food and either eat there or take it with them. The welfare folks would come in, look at the entire menu (Look! They got chicken! They got fish! They got chicken and fish!) and ten minutes later finally order after holding up the line. Their brats would run around in the dining room and make asses of themselves, the adults would leave a damn mess at the table, and complain if you didn't wait hand and foot on them. And they were always dirty.

One thing that always got me then and gets me now. Why are poor people always so dirty? I mean times got tough for the perky family back in the late seventies... but we always bathed. Sometime in cold water when the gas was shut off, but we bathed. I washed my clothes by hand in the sink back when the electric got shut off with a bar of soap cause we couldn't afford clothes detergent. But my clothes were fairly clean, if somewhat wrinkled. I just don't understand it.  :mental:
I'm sure you see a lot of that, but to be fair, I know many people that live on government hand-outs, and none of them are nasty dirty...unless they've just been doing something for $$ under the table.  I see kids that are dirty from playing, but the folks bathe them every day and put clean clothes on them.  That these people exist is obvious, but I do think you're using way too broad a brush.  At least, for the Midwest...

Offline I_B_Perky

I'm sure you see a lot of that, but to be fair, I know many people that live on government hand-outs, and none of them are nasty dirty...unless they've just been doing something for $$ under the table.  I see kids that are dirty from playing, but the folks bathe them every day and put clean clothes on them.  That these people exist is obvious, but I do think you're using way too broad a brush.  At least, for the Midwest...

Well maybe I was a little harsh, Mrs. S.

Broad brush and all that.

What I was really talking about is the... searching for a word here... maybe habitual poor would be a better description. Perpetually poor?  Dunno. I've been poor. I didn't like it. But I was clean. What I was really talking about is this: If I am going out to dinner or the grocery store, I'd make sure I was clean. The people I was talking about didn't just come in and get some food after work. We understood those guys... they looked tired.

I understand dirty. You work for about 2 hrs in the restaurant business, you are dirty. I've stopped off at the grocery store covered in grease. Cashier ask me "Just get off work?" They knew too. What I was talking about is these people looked habitually dirty.

You can tell after a while. That is what I was talking about.  :cheersmate:

Montani Semper Liberi