Author Topic: primitives discuss how parents met  (Read 2213 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss how parents met
« on: March 27, 2008, 05:53:34 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x5277832

Oh my.  And this was in the General Discussion-Primaries forum:

Truth Hurts A Lot  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-27-08 01:51 AM
Original message

Did you ever do a fact-check on how your parents met?

Rove is talking about how Obama misled people regarding how his parents met, but it's possible that his parents just gave him bad information.

I personally have never done a fact-check with regard to how my parents met (they said it was in college)--I just take their word for it.

I imagine the lies parents tell their kids about how they met will only increase now that we're in this Internet age.

dkf  (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 01:55 AM
Response to Original message

1. Or when you were born compared to their wedding date...

Sometimes that doesn't work out too well.

DearAbby  (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 04:38 AM
Response to Reply #1

19. Yeah...

My Parents married in December 1954...I was born 8 months later in August 1955...but I was early, I was told. Dad used to always ask how old I was, around anniversary time...that way he always knew

blonndee  (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 01:55 AM

3. Or who you were named after, or other family legends like that...

sfexpat2000  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-27-08 02:03 AM
Response to Reply #3

5. It's pretty hard to be named after a hero before he was a hero.

boppers (676 posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 02:15 AM
Response to Reply #5

8. Or your parents meet because of something that didn't happen yet?

That's what Rove is carping on about.

Yeah, that's exactly what Karl Rove is carping about; it's a legitimate carp.

sfexpat2000  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-27-08 02:25 AM
Response to Reply #8

12. I sort of love the pathological liar on SNL.

He reminds me of my mom, aka, the Cadillac Woman who could sell you your own used car.

But, I don't want him to be president.

Pigwidgeon (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 02:01 AM

4. We need to be charitable with people's innocent confabulations.   

Except if their last name is "Clinton".

FrenchieCat  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-27-08 02:06 AM

6. Abram (sp?) was on his Verdict show talking about how Obama may have fibbed about his parents getting married because of the inspiration of the Civil Rights Act....but that it was in 1964, and his parents would have married in 1960 or something.

I think that this assertion that is being made about Obama fibbing is incorrect and misunderstood. I know for a fact that the "Civil Rights Movement" started waaaayyyyy before the Federal "act" ever got signed, and I'm sure that this is what Barack was referring to. The movement got started good in the mid 50s. Rosa Parks was arrested in December of 1955. State after state were having their own Civil rights Act signed.

Ohio's Civil Rights Act came in 1959. http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=1393
and others around from that time on...and continues, state by state till 1964, when the Federal act was signed.

Hawaii, became a state in 1959....so it is possible that residents of Hawaii being more diverse were following events much closer, in particular Obama's mom and dad....due to their relationship.

bhikkhu (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 02:07 AM

7. Reminds me of the snark about how Hillary's mom chose her name.

Hillary said she was named after Sir Edmund Hillary, after her mom read of him. Doubt arose when comprehensive media searches revealed no stories in print she was likely to have read prior to the birth of her daughter...

What difference does it make? Are candidates supposed to hire teams of detectives to research all the family stories and anecdotes they have grown up with?

boppers (676 posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 02:22 AM
Response to Reply #9

11. My mom told me she was a "working girl" at a diner when my father walked up and proposed.

She eventually agreed to scheduling a non-paid-date instead.

Sometimes, it's not a bad thing to not know.

LoveHC (60 posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 02:35 AM

14. I love the rationalizations for Obama here

If I call Obama a liar, which he is, I'm sure I will be called a racist.

We can't elect LIARS! = every post about Hillary. Well, we can if we rationalize why they lied, apparently.

boppers (676 posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 03:05 AM
Response to Reply #14

15. That's a semi-fair-ish charge.

Both candidates are, at their hearts, story-tellers. What seems to matter is when somebody feels that they are misled, betrayed, or insulted by a story.

(I'm going to back-away, delicately, from the american "black story teller" myth/stereotype, and not sling that charge, as it's a pretty ugly one)

So, without bringing (much) race into it:

Take, for example, Hillary's sniper story vs. her first name story. Both are patently false, as is the story that events at Selma was the trigger that allowed Barack's parents to unite.

Did Barack keep upping the ante? Were his parents "dodging molotov cocktails"? Was he suddenly "more experienced" because he claimed all of the accomplishments of his parents, or those around him, as solely his own?

I think the outrage is not about our pair of story-tellers with a good yarn, it's about pretending the yarn is *real*, and then basing their candidacy on it.

Put another way, I see a lot of resumes in my work. I see a lot of heavily padded ones. I see some slightly padded ones. I see very, very few ones that have no embellishment.

I almost never (1 in the last 16 years) see resumes that listed their husband's experiences as their own credentials.

LoveHC (60 posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 03:27 AM
Response to Reply #15

16. Hillary was transformed from the pants-suit behind the presidency she wasn't to the tea-time first lady she also wasn't. She was not Bill Clinton, no, but she was deeply involved with that presidency. The only way she could defend herself was to lie. She based her candidacy on something real - experience. She actually did have it, but she had no proof of it. You can see her skill in her Senatorial career, which should have been proof enough. She also cut ribbons and for that she was going to be cut to pieces. So she lied.

By exaggerating her lack of experience (mostly press driven incredulity), she was forced to exaggerate her wealth of it. She was never given a fair shake ever. Watch MSNBC for a mere minute. We forced her to the exact place we always assumed her to be.

As well, if there was a show like KO which devotes itself to 1 hr a day of Obama bashing, it would be called racist. That is a truth, and I believe Ferraro was right. (And she was called a racist for that, proving my point.)

That being said, this place is an absolute Obama psychosis. Not unlike MSNBC. Air America. Daily Kos. Etc. I can't believe, considering the bashing she endures from the left wing, that Hillary has lasted this long, or gets any votes at all. Winning the big states as she has, IMO, is remarkable.

I'm starting to believe the Bill Clinton 90s was the Great Depression from reading this board.

blonndee  (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 03:30 AM
Response to Reply #16

17. "The only way she could defend herself was to lie."

HOLY CRAP!

I just cannot say anything else but HOLY CRAP right now.

But isn't lying to defend themselves, lying to make a point, something the primitives do all the time?

LoveHC (60 posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 04:52 AM
Response to Reply #17

21. That is exactly what Obama did in his speech

He just lied in a very clever intellectual way. Drawing false equivalencies. Excusing vitriolic radicalism and hate by pandering to white guilt. And worse, he told you he was going to start a conversation on race. To elevate all of us above it (especially himself). And then immediately the very next day, changed the subject. Then went on vacation.

but HOLY CRAP what a speech.

boppers (676 posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 05:48 AM
Response to Reply #21

24. The only people who have white guilt are those who benefited from it.

Probably.

quakerboy (468 posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 04:54 AM

22. Heh

I recently had to get a copy of my birth certificate(for the passport process). Before I sent it, I looked it over. I was shocked to note that my mothers name was listed under her maiden name. I was right on the edge of calling her to say WTF, when I noticed that she signed with her married name, so i took a closer look. The form asked for her maiden name first, and later the married name.

And as to how my parents met... The past few years have been full of revelations about my parents. At this point a deviation from the "we met when he was making tea in the dorm kitchen" story wouldn't surprise me much. Nothing less than "it was one of the orgy's we all had back then" would be even mildly surprising now. And even that, after my mom defined orgy for me(at least 3 people and a goat on a bed) wouldn't really mess with me that much.

McCamy Taylor  (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-27-08 06:08 AM

25. Yeah at the same timeIm sticking my head out the plane to see if the pilot who told me we are landing in sniper fire is pulling my leg or if my head will really get shot off.

Guys, can you be any more obvious about your biases?

Hillary was told the plane had to change course because of gunfire. This poor scared woman with her daughter heard "gunfire" and her mind was filed with images of gunfire on the the runway. They told her she would have to run and she imagined it. You can actually get PTSD from an imagined frightening event if it is scary enough and the thought of your kid facing that is pretty nasty. So, she laid down a false memory.

12 years later, when she was telling the story, her adrenalin kicks in. She is thinking "Why am I getting so nervous telling this story?" The image of gunfire on an airfield goes through her head. It has been so long since the event that she can not tell the difference between something she saw with her eyes and something she pictured and something she saw on a video by this point. She tells the story in a way that is consistent with her own memory of fear. It seems authentic to her. That is how people tell their stories. They make the details match their emotions---since memory of details is so flawed but our memory of emotions is so vivid. The listener judges the authenticity by looking to see if the details match the emotion.

Anyone who knows anything about writing or story telling or the way people function under stress can tell you this---but no one here wants to hear anything except that Hillary is poo.

Since Obama has written best sellers, I can guarantee you as a writer and editor that he has not always written the "factual truth" because such a text would be unreadable. In order to convey the emotional truth of his story he has had to alter some things---sometime consciously and other times unconsciously to make the story that appears on the page resonate for the reader the same way that it resonated for him in real life.

That is not called lying. It is called art.

Life Long Dem (1000+ posts)       Thu Mar-27-08 06:18 AM

26. So we base our choice on this? What's next? How they met the babysitter?

No; one should base his choice on who tells the fewest tall tales.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline djones520

Re: primitives discuss how parents met
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 05:57:09 AM »
I imagine the lies parents tell their kids about how they met will only increase now that we're in this Internet age.

I wonder if he's referring to the whole "meeting on the internet" thing.

I for one am not ashamed of it.  I met my wife online.  She asked a question regarding her avatar on Military.com, and I was in a nice mood at the time so figured I'd help her out.  3 years later, we're expecting our first child.

One should never be ashamed of how they met their SO.  Well...  unless they did it at a breasts not bombs rally or something...

"Dad?  How'd you and mom meet?"

"Well son..."
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 06:26:53 AM »
LoveHC (60 posts)      Thu Mar-27-08 04:52 AM
Response to Reply #17

21. That is exactly what Obama did in his speech

He just lied in a very clever intellectual way. Drawing false equivalencies. Excusing vitriolic radicalism and hate by pandering to white guilt. And worse, he told you he was going to start a conversation on race. To elevate all of us above it (especially himself). And then immediately the very next day, changed the subject. Then went on vacation.

but HOLY CRAP what a speech.

Something like this....linear thought leading to a rational and logical conclusion seemed out of place on the island.
I then noticed the posting count and realized it probably won`t last long.

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 07:46:18 AM »

I wonder if he's referring to the whole "meeting on the internet" thing.

I for one am not ashamed of it.  I met my wife online.  She asked a question regarding her avatar on Military.com, and I was in a nice mood at the time so figured I'd help her out.  3 years later, we're expecting our first child.

One should never be ashamed of how they met their SO.  Well...  unless they did it at a breasts not bombs rally or something...

"Dad?  How'd you and mom meet?"

"Well son..."

I'm not ashamed of it, either. I met my husband online. And our baby just turned one.

What I want to know is why the Dems insist on lying about EVERYTHING. Who gives a crap if your parents were married, or if you were named after someone famous? Sheesh! Just don't lie about it because THEN it becomes an issue.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 07:50:28 AM »
I want to publically state for the record that I met my husband in a bar.  Nothing spurred our engagement but that we loved each other.  We liked the names of our kids so we named them that, not after anyone famous.  Our first daughter was born 8 months after our wedding, she was not a preemie.  Our son was born 9 months after our first anniversary.  When I run for president I am going to just tell the truth.  I would never win because of the truth but the lies are too easy to find out.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 07:55:08 AM »
I met my husband in a bar

*gasp*

SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p :p

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 07:57:01 AM »

*gasp*

SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I was drunk on Iron City Light beer. BARF!!!!!  AND I think he was trying to keep me drunk for some reason!!!!!!!
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 07:58:17 AM »

*gasp*

SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I was drunk on Iron City Light beer. BARF!!!!!  AND I think he was trying to keep me drunk for some reason!!!!!!!

IRON CITY? Do you have any taste buds left?  :-)

Offline ScubaGuy

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 08:13:30 AM »

*gasp*

SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only got sick on beer one time in my life and it was Iron City Beer.
25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 09:58:34 AM »
I met my husband at work. Boring! :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jukin

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 11:41:50 AM »
My gut tells me that most DUmp parents can't remember how they met.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 12:00:26 PM »
I have read some of the most ridiculous nonsense you can possibly imagine at the DUmp, but this little ditty ladies and gents is in the top 5 of just plain stupid posts of all time. What the hell is wrong with these people? It just can't be possible to be this blind to reality...WTF!

25. Yeah at the same timeIm sticking my head out the plane to see if the pilot who told me we are landing in sniper fire is pulling my leg or if my head will really get shot off.

Hillary was told the plane had to change course because of gunfire. This poor scared woman with her daughter heard "gunfire" and her mind was filed with images of gunfire on the the runway. They told her she would have to run and she imagined it. You can actually get PTSD from an imagined frightening event if it is scary enough and the thought of your kid facing that is pretty nasty. So, she laid down a false memory.

12 years later, when she was telling the story, her adrenalin kicks in. She is thinking "Why am I getting so nervous telling this story?" The image of gunfire on an airfield goes through her head. It has been so long since the event that she can not tell the difference between something she saw with her eyes and something she pictured and something she saw on a video by this point. She tells the story in a way that is consistent with her own memory of fear. It seems authentic to her. That is how people tell their stories. They make the details match their emotions---since memory of details is so flawed but our memory of emotions is so vivid. The listener judges the authenticity by looking to see if the details match the emotion.

Anyone who knows anything about writing or story telling or the way people function under stress can tell you this---but no one here wants to hear anything except that Hillary is poo.

Since Obama has written best sellers, I can guarantee you as a writer and editor that he has not always written the "factual truth" because such a text would be unreadable. In order to convey the emotional truth of his story he has had to alter some things---sometime consciously and other times unconsciously to make the story that appears on the page resonate for the reader the same way that it resonated for him in real life.

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 12:02:50 PM »
WTF???? Um...exhibit A DUmmie...

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/68124.html
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 12:15:45 PM »
I met my husband at a Quick Trip when I was 15.  :p

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 12:16:49 PM »
My parents met when they were 12, at school.   :o     

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 12:50:58 PM »
I want to publically state for the record that I met my husband in a bar.  Nothing spurred our engagement but that we loved each other.  We liked the names of our kids so we named them that, not after anyone famous.  Our first daughter was born 8 months after our wedding, she was not a preemie.  Our son was born 9 months after our first anniversary.  When I run for president I am going to just tell the truth.  I would never win because of the truth but the lies are too easy to find out.

I met my husband when I was in college. My friend and I needed another roommate. The house only had one bathroom so we knew we didn't want another girl...3 girls, one bathroom would NEVER work. We thought my husband was the cutest one (he was also older, recently divorced and seemed so worldly)...okay we were pretty shallow but I was only 19.

Our first date he got me extremely drunk on Saki and took me to a hot tub place. I don't remember much, but I must have been pretty good because it will be 25 years in November.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 12:55:03 PM »
I have read some of the most ridiculous nonsense you can possibly imagine at the DUmp, but this little ditty ladies and gents is in the top 5 of just plain stupid posts of all time. What the hell is wrong with these people? It just can't be possible to be this blind to reality...WTF!

I have to agree, knowing full well that calling something a top 5 stupid post at DU is no small thing.

It's not your general wacky CT, troop bashing, commie supporting, bouncy tale or generic nonsense you see every day at DU. This is something else. It reads, IMO, like an honest post, in the sense that I think the poster believes what they say. However it's downright creepy in its self delusion. There is a mind hard at work here at the task of destroying itself and its capasity to reason. Unlike DU's typical drivil the post does not make me mad or make me laugh... it makes me sad.

Sigh. Just my reading of it anyway.  :(
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826