Author Topic: The House should seriously consider impeaching Clarence Thomas.  (Read 289 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member kentuck (104,747 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216554620

The House should seriously consider impeaching Clarence Thomas.

Especially if John Roberts does nothing about an ethics process for the Court.

Justice Thomas has participated in something that is more than just an "appearance" of a conflict of interest. His wide, Ginni, seems to be pulling his strings on several issues, especially those related to Trump and the January 6th coup attempt.

If the House cannot get an agreement from Roberts that Thomas should recuse himself from all matters relating to Trump and the January 6th coup attempt, then Speaker Pelosi should move to have him impeached in the House, in my opinion.

Naturally, he would not be convicted in the Senate, but that is a given. That should not keep the House from doing their job.

Star Member gab13by13 (9,038 posts)

1. The last SC justice to be impeached was in 1805.

I don't like doing impeachment with no possibility of a conviction.

What I think every Congressional Democrat should be doing is calling for Thomas to resign, just recusing diminishes what is going on with him and Ginni.

fightforfreedom (861 posts)

5. Exactly, I have been saying the same thing.

Public and political pressure demanding he resign. He can call it retiring if he wants.

Star Member Demsrule86 (57,834 posts)

18. He has a lifetime appointment...there is no political pressure that would matter.

Buckeyeblue (4,221 posts)

12. I would like to see a call for him to resign

He won't though. He enjoys this attention. So does Ginni. It reinforces to all the people that have been giving them money that they are who they claim to be.

I'm sure her fees have gone up.

And Conservatism has no ethical basis. So they have no foundation to begin to hold each other accountable. So they just don't.

And they won't.

Star Member Firestorm49 (3,128 posts)

15. I agree. Resignation is the right thing to do. "The right thing?" Is there such a term anymore?

The Republican sprint to Autocracy has laid to waste words like ethics, integrity and resignation. Sadly, those days are long past. Now it’s just all out war. The cards have been played and we all know where we stand with respect to Republicans and their fascist adorations.

Thomas won’t resign. Matt Gaetz won’t resign. Nor will constitutional simpletons like MTG, Boebert, Gohmert, Cruz…………………..you get it.

This mess will likely only get worse after the next two elections. You can feel it in the wind. If you think that what brought us to this point is an anomaly, think again.

MarineCombatEngineer (5,795 posts)

2. Speaker Pelosi is not going to take up articles of Impeachment,

especially during an election year and I seriously doubt there would be enough votes in the House for Impeachment.

Nope, we don't need the distraction, especially when it would be a losing proposition, in the House and the Senate.

4. THe "distraction" will be when another case goes to the Supreme Court...

...and Thomas votes to cover-up everything.

Naturally, Mitch McConnell is very much against it, which should tell us something.

No Justice wants to be impeached. It is not a trivial matter. It forever stains their legacy.

17. It will be seen as political and folks are sick of politics...it is not worth impeachment if we lose

Congress...there is no point unless we can get rid of the guy.

bullimiami (11,697 posts)

3. i agree they should start an impeachment inquiry and begin by subpoenaing Ginni.

And if they uncover evidence of crimes it should also be referred to DOJ.

7. No, we must have votes for conviction in the Senate in order to impeach...just a waste of time

if we don't. This is an election year.

10. I think "conflict of interest" is a serious charge.

It is all connected to the attempted coup, the Ginni Thomas texts, the alternate electors, etc. It is not a separate issue.

Justice delayed is justice denied. What did MLK mean with those words anyway?

19. There are ethical guidelines in all the courts of the land...

...except for the Supreme Court.

Roberts could demand that the Supreme Court have ethical rules, also. All the other courts demand recusal, even if there is just an "appearance" of conflict of interest. In this case, I think there is more than just an "appearance".

Or we could just agree to ignore it, as we are wanting to ignore other major crimes against our country, for the sake of politics and the next election. We would not want to adversely affect our next election with the rule of law.

Zeitghost (1,128 posts)

22. What rule of law is not being followed?

Risking election success to uphold the rule of law is noble. Risking election success when there is zero evidence of laws being broken is foolish.

25. What election success are you talking about?

Republicans are favored to win the next election already.

If everything hinges on the next "election", we are definitely screwed as a Party, and probably as a nation.

Star Member 2naSalit (56,631 posts)

20. I agree that he should be impeached...

For now for the record. But that will also bring back the memories of everyone who felt cheated during the past couple impeachment proceedings and expose why we need to have a solid majority in the Senate and House before the end of Biden's term(s).

Thomas impeachment on record is important for important reasons and will move needed changes forward in the process. Nothing is simple, and I think designed so for our protection should we use the tools provided.

23. I think Nancy could get every Democrat to vote for it.

And all it takes is a simple majority.

You may be right that they will not bring it up, but we should keep them guessing. Don't let them see your cards.

Zeitghost (1,128 posts)

24. I disagree

This close to midterms and with no direct evidence to suggest Thomas did anything illegal or even unethical, I doubt we could manage much more than half of the Democrat Representatives.

On what charges would the House bring him up on; allowing his wife to have crazy political views?

:rotf:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: The House should seriously consider impeaching Clarence Thomas.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 04:24:11 PM »
I hope Miss Nancy is that kind of stupid! Dem-voting American blacks need to see the spectacle of a black Supreme Court Justice being shampeached in Pelosiroo's Kangaroo Kourt.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 04:45:02 PM »
Kentuck should seriously consider removing his head from his dark and remote location known as his ass.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 04:50:24 PM »
Something has triggered the bluegrass primitive over the last month. He’s always been off his rocker, but something has pushed him into overdrive.

I enjoy that he’s tripled down on stupid.  :popcorn:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 08:38:38 AM »
They should really cut back on their BSMBC viewing since it seems they actually believe what they are hearing.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 09:35:32 AM »
Kentuck should seriously consider removing his head from his dark and remote location known as his ass.

Good luck with that project. Couldn't be done with satchel charges...
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus