Author Topic: beef stew  (Read 3195 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
beef stew
« on: October 04, 2010, 08:18:43 PM »
This morning, Monday morning, I dragged out the crockpot so as to observe a certain autumn ritual, something I've done ever since the first year I left home when still a teenager (meaning I've done it for too many years to count, every autumn)--that of making a pot of beef stew.

I'm not sure why I do this, but I do this only one time, every autumn, after which I pack away the crockpot until the next autumn.  It had not been a family tradition or anything; it was just something I did, or do, simply because it felt like "the thing to do."

I make beef stew the old-fashioned way, from whatever's in the cupboards.

There are only two variations from what other people do.  I don't buy beef especially marked as appropriate for stews; I buy the most-expensive cut of beef, about a pound or so (in other words, even though expensive, I don't buy much of it), sirloin or something--whatever has only little fat, or if possible, no fat, and chop that up.

I am not a fan of grease, or what the primitives call "juices."

The other thing is that I buy a large white potato, rather than a handful of small red potatoes.

The single white potato I purchased this morning, for example, weighed nearly a pound and cost a whopping fifty cents.

And now, after all these years, I'm beginning to wonder about something.

I started the stew this morning, and it's probably not going to be until Wednesday that it's edible, because of the potatoes.  For some reason, on "low" heat, in the crockpot it takes at least a couple of days before the potatoes are cooked thoroughly, no matter how small I chop them.

I do not make the whole stew right away; at the moment all that's in the crockpot is tomato juice, a large chopped-up white potato, salt-and-pepper, paprika, and onion salt.  No point in adding anything else, until the potatoes are edible.

After which I dump in the beef, frozen corn and peas, a can of tomato sauce, a can of vegetable soup, a can of tomato soup, a can of ready-made beef stew, a dash of mustard, a drip of syrup, more salt-and-pepper, paprika, and onion salt, a can of pure beef gravy, brown rice, and whatever other oddments happen to be in the cupboard or refrigerator.

And then it's ready inside of two hours.

I'm wondering if red potatoes might cook faster than white ones, even though I've always been partial to white potatoes (red potatoes were cheaper than dirt when I was a kid, and seemed to spoil much more quickly, which is why this partiality).

Has anyone noticed if red potatoes cook faster than white ones?

I've always chopped the potatoes up leaving the skin intact (when I was young and poor, I couldn't afford a potato-peeler, and thus this life-long habit).
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: beef stew
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:23:04 PM »
Can't say that I have.

If you're concerned about fat, I put my soups and stews in the refrigerator overnight after making it.  The fat solidifies on the top and you can scoop it off with a spoon.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:15:47 PM »
Oh, Frank that sounds good with cooler weather is coming on. There's nothing like a nice hot stew in cold weather. :drool:
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:08:54 PM »
If one uses a chuck roast and removes most of the fat, most all that's left are meat juices. Very little fat. I prefer to use hand cut chuck for my stews and even chili.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 09:39:49 AM »
Crockpots are a bit of a strange critter, Frank. They don't exactly behave like a dutch oven in the oven, or even a dutch oven on the range or cooktop.

Vegetables, oddly enough, take longer to cook than meat does. I can't remember exactly where I read that, but I did get that information from some written source some years ago.

For that reason, when I make a stew, I put the vegetables on the bottom of the crockpot. For me, it's a traditional stew which contains lots of carrots, celery, onions, and potatoes. I like to cut them bite-sized and more or less consistent in size. All the same, carrots are denser than potatoes, so they'll take longer to cook, but that's the general idea. After that, it's beef broth (not too much), cubed-up chuck or other inexpensive cut of beef that I've floured and seared, a bay leaf, fresh thyme, chopped garlic, maybe a little bit of canned tomato, and lots of pepper. I try to hold off on the salt until later since sometimes the beef broth is salty.

Give it about 4-5 hours and voila.

Of course, there's about a bazillion different ways to make stew. To each his own.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:57:03 PM »
Eupher...... what do you think about beef base & chicken base?? It seems like a decent replacement for bullion or broth.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 01:10:45 PM »
Eupher...... what do you think about beef base & chicken base?? It seems like a decent replacement for bullion or broth.

Sure, I'll use it. Gotta be careful because of the salt, however.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 01:49:29 PM »
Frank, here's a link to info on potatoes.  I prefer reds in stews as I like to leave the skins on.

Your stew sounds good, but odd.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Potatoes.html
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 02:19:24 PM »
Sure, I'll use it. Gotta be careful because of the salt, however.

Ditto. I will use bacon salt when I need flavor in stuff.  It isn't really that bacon-y, but it is low in sodium. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 02:37:34 PM »
They all sound yummy I may have to make some this weekend
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 03:48:33 PM »
Ditto. I will use bacon salt when I need flavor in stuff.  It isn't really that bacon-y, but it is low in sodium. 

We're talking beef or chicken base, which has a lot of salt, but also adds a LOT of flavor.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 04:09:28 PM »
We're talking beef or chicken base, which has a lot of salt, but also adds a LOT of flavor.

Ugh.  I KNOW that.  Der.   :banghead:  I use beef, chicken and ham base.  Sparingly.  But, I was trying to tell Eupher about something that had a LOT of flavor in it, without the added salt. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 04:26:51 PM »
I do mine in layers - all going in at once.

Stew meat
Minced garlic
Couple of quartered sweet onions or the little small whole frozen ones
Couple of cans of button mushrooms (drained)
Sprinkle some granulated beef boullion over this
Small Yukon gold potatoes halved or quartered (if I add them at all - half the time, I will make mashed ones instead to pour the stew over)
Baby carrots
A small bag of frozen peas
Sprinkle lots of black pepper
A mid sized can of cream of mushroom soup

I start the crockpot on high for about an hour, then reduce the heat, and let it cook all day. About 20 minutes before serving, I will mix flour and water, whisk to smooth and add a bit beef base or Kitchen Bouquet (it's what my mother always used - stuff is hard to find these days.  :(  ) and stir it really well and pour through  a strainer to make sure there aren't any lumps...to thicken up the "gravy " of the stew.

Super easy and even better the next day. I don't add the potatoes if I'm going to freeze the leftovers.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
I always cook my onions & garlic first in a little olive oil. then the meat gets added in. When I think that the meat is tender enough , I add in the roots, tubers, etc., let them cook and the rest of the veggies go in last. (I don't like overcooked veggies)