Author Topic: Is this slow , fast or about normal?  (Read 2647 times)

Offline thundley4

Is this slow , fast or about normal?
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:17:17 AM »
I'm transferred  a huge , (42 GB), file from one computer to another over the home network, and it took a little over an hour.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Is this slow , fast or about normal?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Never done that, but it sounds "normal" for a big file.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:39:57 PM »
Depends on your processor, hard drive & ethernet card....... I transferred 100 GB of music and it took a long while. It was close to an hour, maybe more. I really didn't pay attention.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:48:11 PM »
Depends on your processor, hard drive & ethernet card....... I transferred 100 GB of music and it took a long while. It was close to an hour, maybe more. I really didn't pay attention.

How big was that file you transferred to me a few weeks ago?  Seemed like it took about an hour, and I don't have the fastest DSL connection.....don't remmber exactly, but 90 Gb comes to mind.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 03:53:08 PM »
How big was that file you transferred to me a few weeks ago?  Seemed like it took about an hour, and I don't have the fastest DSL connection.....don't remmber exactly, but 90 Gb comes to mind.

doc

He's talking home network, not over the internet..... HUGE difference. I think that was 500MB or so.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 04:05:44 PM »
1 computer is 2.9gh and the other is a 2.2gh processor.  The slower computer runs Vista and the other runs Win 7. My home network is wire connected through the router.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
When, if ever, did you check &/or perform a firmware upgrade on the router??

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 04:34:44 PM »
When, if ever, did you check &/or perform a firmware upgrade on the router??

It's only about two weeks old and it updates itself, which was about 2 days ago.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 06:25:25 PM »
An hour plus a little is about right for a 100mbit ethernet connection to send 42 gig.