Author Topic: sparkling husband primitive going to miss summer  (Read 1753 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
sparkling husband primitive going to miss summer
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:35:26 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x69523

Oh my.

The sparkling husband primitive:

Stinky The Clown  (1000+ posts)        Sun Oct-04-09 10:56 PM
Original message

I am going to miss Summer

The late summer vegetables are still coming in here. And the later in the season, the sweeter they are.

We had corn tonight, grilled. Easily the best we've had all season. The farmer said it came from the last field he planted. It was amazing. So sweet. We just grilled it and ate it. No salt, no butter, nothing.

Same with the tomatoes. We've been buying them three times a week. Each day they get sweeter and richer. The rest of the srops are starting to peter out, but the corn and tomatoes are amazing.

"srops".

It looks as if the sparkling husband primitive wife's experiments with the chemistry set appears to be making the sparkling husband primitive consonaut-challenged.

The wired gassy primitive, from the farmette up over there in Wisconsin:

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-05-09 12:46 AM
Response to Original message

1. the worst part is that the peaches are gone

....and no matter how great an apple or pear is (and I had some really good fujis today) they don't have the bone-satisfying goodness of a peach. IMO.

I haven't had any really great corn this year, but I am eating as many vine-ripened orange cherry toms as I can stuff in my face every day. Can there be an overdose of tomatoes?

Grandma:

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-05-09 10:10 AM
Response to Reply #1

2. Amen, sista!

The peaches this year were fabulous! I wish I could find some that are both local and organic since peaches are on the top of the list for holding pesticides. I had to resort to buying CA and WA peaches but they sure were incredible.

Was a bad year for tomatoes and corn around here, although we did get a decent amount of tomatoes from our garden. They were pretty tough skinned and split but made the best out of it.

I'm picturing you with seeds and tomato snot running down your chin.

The warped primitive, whose bad luck was that hospital pharmaceuticals weren't locked up:

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-05-09 11:13 AM

3. We are still locked in drought here in NM so our "summer" v*****s come mostly from Mexico with one exception: green chile [sic]. The roasters are out in front of every market now and going full blast as people get their bushels of green chile [sic] to freeze for the year. Once roasted and put into a black trash bag, the chiles [sic] steam while people cart them home and are easy to peel and put into b*****s. The whole family will get into the act since a bushel of chile [sic] is a lot of chile [sic].

The smell of roasting chiles [sic] is one we start getting in late August, that tells us the oppressive desert heat will soon be over. It's taken the place for me of that smell of burning leaves, something people in most areas can no longer do thanks to pollution regulations.

New Mexicans put green chile [sic] into everything, and once you get used to the idea, you realize why. Green chile [sic] here tastes radically different from the same plants grown elsewhere. It's a combination of sun, altitude, desert, soil, and heat and if a market tries to pull a fast one, people know and complain vociferously. I've seen v****e stands go under because they tried to substitute something from California or Mexico.

The roasters will be gone in another couple of weeks and we'll settle into winter, and our winters are hard winters because of the altitude.

However, most of us will have freezers of green chile [sic] to put in soups, stews, gravies, baked goods, and everything else to keep us going.

Lugnut  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-06-09 01:43 AM

4. I hit the local famer's market this afternoon.

My tomato plants were over early last month and the ones I bought last week at the market are almost gone. The woman at one stand said they're taking longer to ripen on the plants so maybe that has something to do with the flavor. All I know is they are delicious.

I came home with a head of cabbage the size of a basketball and cauliflower that was slightly smaller. I also picked up green beans, eggplant and broccoli. Too bad it will all end here in a few weeks.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: sparkling husband primitive going to miss summer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 12:32:58 PM »
I guess it never dawns on most of the primitives that you can grow your own frikkin' veggies on very little ground. I have fellow employees and friends fight over my 'maters every year. Always have way more squash, cukes, apples, and pears than we can eat, too.

Top that off with a steer and and a hog every year and my wally world grocery bill mostly consists of breads, cereals, cheeses and food for the dogs/cats.

Primitives would starve to death if they had to be the least self sufficient! Pretty hard to exist on drugs, cheetos, incense, picking your nose, and healing white light!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 12:57:53 PM »
Someone should tell Warpy that chile is the correct spelling in that case, and no need of (sic) should appear after each appearance of the word.

ETA: Unless coach put that in there.  And coach, it really IS the correct spelling.

Also, having lived in NM (and gone to school there), I can state several things with virtual certainty:

--Not all parts of NM have "oppressive desert heat".  Some parts in fact get fairly cold in winter.
--Chiles are typically sold by the sack.
--Chiles can be dried, and in fact many are.
--In all the years I lived in NM, I never saw a single roaster outside a supermarket during chile season.  No self-respecting person would have chiles without roasting them themselves.  
--If the primitive can tell the difference between a fresh Cruces, Hatch, Anaheim, or Mexican green chile, well, you've got way too much time on your hands, and any GOOD cook will still use Anaheim versus Hatch chiles.  It's like people claiming MAINE lobsters are somehow superior to those caught in Canada, New Hampshire, or Mass.  Snobbery is all it is.
--And again, having lived in NM, and many other places, NM winters may get cold, but not THAT cold.  Not Alamosa, Colorado type cold.  Not Western New York snowy.  Not Wyoming blizzard windy.  Trust me, Farmington was at over 5400 feet and snow rarely stuck for long, and I can count on one finger the number of mornings below zero while I lived there.

Seriously, Warpy.  Get a grip.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:59:49 PM by NHSparky »
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 01:12:43 PM »
Now, NHSparky, I did the [sic] thing myself.

After all, the warped primitive is always prone to using faddish politically-corrent spellings, and since this spelling is alien to me, I just naturally assumed the warped primitive was being pretentious.

Around here, it's not a big word, but when Nebraskans of Texas derivation use it, such as on restaurant menus or in advertisements, they spell it "chili".

It could be a regional variation, but my main point about the warped primitive still stands; if there's a real word, and a politically-correct word, she'll use the latter.

Every time.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »
While I'll agree that the Warped primitive is pretentious--again, I've never heard someone turn back a dish or put a roadside stand out of business because they sold Hatch versus Las Cruces versus Anaheim chiles, there is a difference between chiles--which are a generic term for any fruit (technically, chiles are actually berries) of the genus capiscum, which is where the actual heat of the chile comes from.  I've seen people call them chilis, but since I was a boy in that part of the country, I've always referred to them as chiles.

Chili, which uses chiles, or chile powder among its spices, is of course the meat dish (and beans, if one is so inclined to ruin a perfectly good dish), chili con carne meaning, literally, chiles with meat.  Beans were initially introduced to chili outside of areas where meat was scarce or expensive.  This is one reason why many people will claim no "true" chili contains beans, and in fact, many cookoffs will disqualify any chili which uses beans or any other fillers.

Sorry, but having been more-or-less raised on Tex-Mex cooking (and there IS a substantial difference between that and true "Mexican" food), I merely felt the need to set the record straight.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 01:38:03 PM »
I don't find any fault, or even disagreement, NHSparky, sir.

It's just that because the spelling was unfamiliar to me, I figured it was the warped primitive being her usual silly self.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 01:39:23 PM »
I don't find any fault, or even disagreement, NHSparky, sir.

It's just that because the spelling was unfamiliar to me, I figured it was the warped primitive being her usual silly self.

No offense intended or taken, sir.  Yes, Warpy is a pretentious little primitive, and given a blindfold and several freshly-roasted chiles to determine source, would be completely unable to do so.