Author Topic: Starbucks Cafe's Covid Outbreak Spared Employees Who Wore Masks  (Read 588 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://democraticunderground.com/100213968417

Nevilledog (8,232 posts)

Starbucks Cafe's Covid Outbreak Spared Employees Who Wore Masks

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-25/this-starbucks-in-south-korea-became-a-beacon-for-mask-wearing

After a woman with the coronavirus visited a Starbucks cafe north of Seoul this month, more than two dozen patrons tested positive days later. But the four face mask-wearing employees escaped infection.

The Aug. 8 outbreak in the South Korean city of Paju is another example of how rapidly the SARS-CoV-2 virus can spread in confined, indoor spaces -- as well as ways to minimize transmission. With health authorities around the world still debating the evidence around face masks, the 27-person cluster linked to the air-conditioned coffee outlet adds more support for their mandatory use to help limit the spread of the Covid-19-causing virus.

“This speaks volumes about the role masks can play,” said Ma Sang Hyuk, a pediatric infectious diseases physician at Changwon Fatima Hospital in South Korea. “Masks may not provide 100% protection, but there’s nothing out there that’s as effective.”

Guidance on face masks is being issued from Australia to Venezuela to help stem the pandemic, which has infected more than 23 million people and killed at least 810,000 worldwide. Face coverings will become mandatory in New Zealand for residents using public transport and inside ride-sharing vehicles, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Monday. Last week, the World Health Organization issued advice on their use in children.

*snip*

soothsayer (22,156 posts)

1. Good let's put to rest this "masks only protect others" nonsense

I couldn't agree more!  Now leave me alone about not wearing a mask!  If I want to run around taking wild and crazy chances, that is my choice.  You wear your mask and you'll be protected while you watch me wither and die on the street before you.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Starbucks Cafe's Covid Outbreak Spared Employees Who Wore Masks
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 12:25:07 PM »
Has anyone considered the possibility that the starbucks employees were physically distanced from the infected customer by the sales counter while the customers were in much closer proximity to the person with the cooties...?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 01:21:03 PM »
Has anyone considered the possibility that the starbucks employees were physically distanced from the infected customer by the sales counter while the customers were in much closer proximity to the person with the cooties...?

Also possible that they were taking HCQ and Zinc as a preventative/prophylactic measure thanks to the President of the United States.  :-)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 02:21:22 PM »
Okay. So you wear your mask and leave the rest of us alone.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 10:10:11 PM »
Okay. So you wear your mask and leave the rest of us alone.
You'd think DU would be thrilled to see all these Republicans dropping dead from not wearing masks.  I had a delivery at a Walgreens that is frequented by Kentuckys former governor.  All the employees were too afraid to ask him to put on his mask. I laughed when I heard the story. He's about the most approachable politician ever.
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 07:56:31 PM »
Nevilledog (8,232 posts)

Starbucks Cafe's Covid Outbreak Spared Employees Who Wore Masks

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-25/this-starbucks-in-south-korea-became-a-beacon-for-mask-wearing

After a woman with the coronavirus visited a Starbucks cafe north of Seoul this month, more than two dozen patrons tested positive days later. But the four face mask-wearing employees escaped infection.

The Aug. 8 outbreak in the South Korean city of Paju is another example of how rapidly the SARS-CoV-2 virus can spread in confined, indoor spaces -- as well as ways to minimize transmission. With health authorities around the world still debating the evidence around face masks, the 27-person cluster linked to the air-conditioned coffee outlet adds more support for their mandatory use to help limit the spread of the Covid-19-causing virus.

“This speaks volumes about the role masks can play,” said Ma Sang Hyuk, a pediatric infectious diseases physician at Changwon Fatima Hospital in South Korea. “Masks may not provide 100% protection, but there’s nothing out there that’s as effective.”

Guidance on face masks is being issued from Australia to Venezuela to help stem the pandemic, which has infected more than 23 million people and killed at least 810,000 worldwide. Face coverings will become mandatory in New Zealand for residents using public transport and inside ride-sharing vehicles, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Monday. Last week, the World Health Organization issued advice on their use in children.

Oh we got us a maskie!!   Kinda like a bouncie... but we ain't got us any guidelines on rating maskies so I'm winging it here....

People got the bug.... Check!
Masked folks did not... check!
Bug is 1 step below Ebola and gonna kill us all... Check!
Wearing a mask stops it in its tracks... check!
Some MD saying masks are the bomb... check!

soothsayer (22,368 posts)
1. Good let's put to rest this "masks only protect others" nonsense

Wear that mask, bitch!!!   

President Trump ought to tell people on national TV that we need to wear masks and that will be the end of the dems yelling about it.

LisaL (35,580 posts)
3. This was in Korea so very good chance the employees were wearing an equivalent of N95.

Oops!

PoindexterOglethorpe (15,040 posts)
4. Seems like we are seeing a lot of these essentially mini controlled trials

of the effectiveness of mask wearing.

I know Kansas has had a very similar result. The counties that enforced mask wearing have had far fewer cases, and no increase in cases, compared to the counties that have not enforced mask wearing.

Likewise the two hair dressers in Missouri. Infected, wore masks, did the hair of a whole bunch of people, none of whom got it.

Wear that mask bitch... at least until President Trump says to do it.   :lmao:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi