Author Topic: How Televised Games Have Changed  (Read 975 times)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
How Televised Games Have Changed
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:29:25 PM »
I've been watching this evening a football game that was originally broadcst on ABC in 1984, and noticing how the production has changed in the past quarter century. Keith Jackson is the play-by-play announcer, so there is very little difference in how the game is described. The things I notice are far, far fewer on-screen graphics, fewer camera angles (although more than enough), much more concentration on game action rather than crowd shots and those incessant shots of the head coaches, and none of those annoying sideline chick reporterettes.

All things considered, if they had HD, I'd say the 1984 style is far better than what we have today. That is, if you are more interested in football than in what the free safety's uncle told him, from his deathbed, that inspired the kid to become a better athlete. Or listening to the reporterette ask the running back what went through his mind when he scored the winning TD.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
Re: How Televised Games Have Changed
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:16:03 AM »
I agree that the productions have gone over the top (especially for MNF games), but some of the stats they discuss now actually contribute to a better understanding of the game.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
Stats, if they pertain to the game, are fine. The graphics 25 years ago were pretty crude by current standards. An example is that we now take for granted having a full-time graphic with the clock, score, down, and distance. But all the attendant production crap has become really annoying. If you watch a game with a well-known coach, you'll get an extreme closeup on the coach at least once every 60 seconds. Notre Dame football makes me sick because I constantly have a 57" screen filled with an HD closeup of Charlie Weis's slobbering mug. And ESPN has made MNF nearly unwatchable. I keep it on mute, and cannot listen to the radio broadcast because of the delay.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 07:40:15 AM »
there is a program/device that will take the radio feed and delay it 5 seconds or so to time it to your tv broadcast.  I can't remember the name of it or I'd give you a link.

You are right about the closeups on the coaches.  How many times do we need to see Lovie Smith scowl or Mike Holmgren cover his face with the play card when he talks?  Show me something when he does it differently than normal.