Interests > Hobbies

Old fly rod

<< < (2/83) > >>

catsmtrods:
Old = Good!

Wineslob:

--- Quote from: catsmtrods on January 03, 2013, 06:30:55 PM ---Dip tank is a big investment and or project! Probably not for you. For years I finished blanks with Birchwood Casey gunstock finish and a lint free rag with great success. Its a bit of a learning experience to finish wraps with varnish but guys like you could cheat and use epoxy finish since your not trying to cheat anyone but yourself!  

--- End quote ---

Ya I saw that. I'll probably do what I did before with a bamboo rod, very, very carefully remove finish, tape off whats needs to be, and spray with a poly exterior varnish, re-wrap and Flex Cote the wraps. This rod is for me, so I'm not trying to be "perfect" and impress anyone.  I did one many years ago this way and the results were excellent.

catsmtrods:
Try the Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. I think they even have it in a spray can now. Its indestructible! I coated a few old butt sections with it and am still using them for tomato stakes 10 years later!

Wineslob:

--- Quote from: catsmtrods on January 04, 2013, 03:30:32 PM ---Try the Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. I think they even have it in a spray can now. Its indestructible! I coated a few old butt sections with it and am still using them for tomato stakes 10 years later!

--- End quote ---

I'll look for that, but I've never heard of it.   :???:

Damn enviroweenies, it cannot be shipped to Ca.     :mad:

catsmtrods:
Son of a bitch! I bet you can't get spar varnish either? Are there no cane rodmakers in commiefornia?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version