Author Topic: 2 Dead in Attack on Luxury Kabul Hotel  (Read 4904 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
2 Dead in Attack on Luxury Kabul Hotel
« on: January 14, 2008, 11:21:01 AM »
2 Dead in Attack on Luxury Kabul Hotel

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) - Militants with suicide vests, grenades and AK-47 rifles attacked Kabul's most popular luxury hotel Monday evening, killing at least two people in a coordinated assault rarely seen in the Afghan capital, witnesses and a Taliban spokesman said.

It appeared to be the first direct attack on a hotel in Kabul since the fall of the Taliban in 2001.

The 6:12 p.m. attack came on a night the Norwegian embassy was holding a meeting at the Serena Hotel. An American inside said she saw a body she believed to be dead and pools of blood in the lobby, and hotel employees reported two dead. She said three foreigners were wounded.

Zabiullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, told The Associated Press that four militants with suicide vests attacked the hotel—one bomber who detonated his explosives and three militants who threw grenades and fired guns and then fled. The claim could not be verified but came very soon after the attack. The bomber was not included among the count of the dead.

Five ambulances and U.S. troops in Humvees rushed to the hotel. Police kept journalists and onlookers far from the building.

Liberals will begin blaming Pres. Bush in 5...4...3...2...1...   :censored:

MORE

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: 2 Dead in Attack on Luxury Kabul Hotel
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:35:35 AM »
Anyone else find it odd that the AP just talks to a Taliban spokesperson?  :mental:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:55:26 AM »
It's all America's fault.

If 9/11 hadn't occurred then Pakistan would never have flipped to the American side out of fear of the neocon warmachine.

If American hadn't supported the Israel then 9/11 would never had occurred.

But America wouldn't have supported Israel if the joooooos weren't controlling it banks, media and foreign policy.

So we have to ask: who benefits from the attack in Pakistan?

Israel.

This was probably a Mossad covert op like the 1993 and 2001 attacks on the WTC.[/DU-CU]

According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:56:57 AM »
BWAHAHA Bunny!

you just need to add:

Ron Paul for President! Of course your sig line works too.  :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Sonnabend

Terrorists attack Australian embassy: Six dead
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 04:19:20 AM »
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23054776-5001021,00.html

THE security of Australian embassy staff in Kabul is being reviewed following a terrorist attack which killed six people and injured another six. Taliban militants launched the brazen attack on the hotel housing the Australian embassy.  A suicide bomber and crazed gunmen struck the hotel.

Australian officials say they believe no Australians were killed in the terror attack at the five-star Serena hotel .
"We've confirmed that all staff of the embassy are safe and we have also started to contact Australians registered in Kabul to ensure they are safe, although we have no information to suggest they would not be," a Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesman said.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has condemned the attack and says security for Australian embassy staff is being reviewed. "The Australian government condemns this attack on the Serena Hotel which we're advised has resulted in loss of life," Mr Rudd told reporters in Sydney today.

"I've commended the Australian embassy staff on their courage and professionalism and the way in which they conducted themselves through the events of the past several hours." Mr Rudd said that security for embassy staff was under review and any changes deemed necessary would be implemented immediately.

"This is sober reminder of the difficult, dangerous operating environment in Afghanistan." Mr Rudd said at this stage there wasn't a need to increase Australia's troop commitment to Afghanistan. Norwegian Foreign Minister Jonas Garh Soere was inside the five-star Serena hotel at the time but was unharmed in the attack, and took shelter with other guests in the basement afterwards, hotel and Norwegian officials said.
"The figures reported so far is that six people were killed and six were wounded," Afghan interior ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashary told reporters.

"The details of the killed people are not reported but among the six wounded there are two foreign nationals. They are not high-ranking officials," he said.

The hardline Taliban movement said its men, including a suicide bomber, carried out the attack, which came as the Norwegian foreign minister was preparing for a dinner meeting. "Four members of the Taliban, one of them wearing a suicide vest and all armed with Kalashnikovs (rifles), entered the Serena hotel and opened fire on foreigners," spokesman Zabihullah Mujahed told AFP. "One of them exploded himself," he said.

NATO's International Security Assistance Force, which has 40,000 troops in Afghanistan, said hotel guards had shot dead one of the attackers but it was unclear what had happened to any others. \\

Six dead..it could have been one hell of a lot worse.

Offline Sonnabend

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 04:37:49 AM »
Check my article.

That wasn't a hotel..it was an embassy.

OURS.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: Terrorists attack Australian embassy: Six dead
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 06:56:16 AM »
Thank God it wasn't deadlier!  It amazes me that the taliban has a spokesman to brag about this kind of stupidity! :censored: :hammer:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 06:59:02 AM »
Prayers for our Australian brethren.

Sad to see the RoP continues to spread its message of peace.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 07:04:54 AM »
Thank God it wasn't deadlier!  It amazes me that the taliban has a spokesman to brag about this kind of stupidity! :censored: :hammer:

thats always amazed me as well...

Offline Sonnabend

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 07:20:39 AM »
Guard got one...who may have also had had a bomb. The details are sketchy (OPSEC being what it is) but I can guess what they will be doing. My guess is they found a hole in the net and thats how the attack happened..this has been the first if its kind in years, which says a lot for security.

No security net is perfect 100% of the time, and sooner or later they were bound to find a way in. It happens..so now we make sure that they don't get that close again.

In retrospect, not really a surprise..we knew it was possible.

No problem, we'll just let our soldiers sent the Taliban a "message" of our own.

Special delivery  :evillaugh:

Offline MPCOA

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 08:54:36 AM »
I hope the Gov lets the Diggers get some payback.
Don't suffer from PTSD, go out and cause it

Embrace the Hate

"Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return." Gen. Colin Powell

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 08:55:26 AM »
I hope the Diggers get some payback too
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:47:32 PM by Katar »
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 09:03:36 AM »
I hope the Gov lets the Diggers get some payback.

Ditto.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 09:07:07 AM »
Merged  :afro:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 09:08:48 AM by TheSarge »
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn