Author Topic: Hi from Missouri  (Read 11955 times)

Offline namvet

Re: Hi from Missouri
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2011, 12:16:58 PM »
Whe likely have more in common than geolocation......since you're a 'nam vet, we are probably close to the same age........

doc

there's dirt..........then there's me

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »
there's dirt..........then there's me

:rotf: :rotf:

Unfortunately me too......

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2011, 02:20:30 PM »
Howdy Namvet, I'm in Missouri too, but quite a ways off from you...I am down in the Ozarks, very rural country to the south of Fort Leonard Wood.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline namvet

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2011, 02:31:01 PM »
Howdy Namvet, I'm in Missouri too, but quite a ways off from you...I am down in the Ozarks, very rural country to the south of Fort Leonard Wood.

hi. my late granparents used to live in Warsaw. not to far from there. used to go deer hunting around there. we seem to have a lot of show me folks on here

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2011, 02:52:52 PM »
Looks like the Show Me State is going to give Texas a run for it's money in the membership department.

Welcome.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
Looks like the Show Me State is going to give Texas a run for it's money in the membership department.

Welcome.

:-) It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »
:-) It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it.

BS for being cocky.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2011, 04:41:20 PM »
BS for being cocky.   :-)

Thank you, dear. h5
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2011, 04:54:39 PM »
Dad's side is from Chilicothe, Mom's from Osceola.  Bet y'all haven't heard of either of those. 

Oh yes I have.   :-)

I was just at the cheese factory picking up some havarti dill and morel cheese the other week.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »

Welcome.

Missouri will be a great state to be when the zombie apocalypse happens.  Plenty of caves and hills to hide in.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
Oh yes I have.   :-)

I was just at the cheese factory picking up some havarti dill and morel cheese the other week.

DUDE!  I Love that place.  I visited every year since I was knee high to a grasshopper, until no one lived there anymore.  My grandmother's childhood home was moved because of the Truman Lake.  It is up on a hill, over looking Osceola now.  More than half my people are buried in Osceola's cemetary.   :(

I am going to have to see I can order from the cheese factory via the innernets.  It's so cheesy.   :-)
We used to stay at a hotel on that highway, can't remember the name, but it had a diner attached.  Right next door to the "Beer, Bait, Guns n Ammo" store. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline namvet

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
DUDE!  I Love that place.  I visited every year since I was knee high to a grasshopper, until no one lived there anymore.  My grandmother's childhood home was moved because of the Truman Lake.  It is up on a hill, over looking Osceola now.  More than half my people are buried in Osceola's cemetary.   :(

I am going to have to see I can order from the cheese factory via the innernets.  It's so cheesy.   :-)
We used to stay at a hotel on that highway, can't remember the name, but it had a diner attached.  Right next door to the "Beer, Bait, Guns n Ammo" store. 

I remember them well

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2011, 07:15:25 PM »
Oh wow.  Thanks for sharing namvet.  I remember going to that store with my brother when we were up for my Grandmother's funeral.  The beer was in the same fridge as the bait!  It was a sad occasion indeed, but my brother and I were on that verge of becoming grown-ups, and that beer was the best I ever had. 

I just googled the cheese factory and I can order on line.  Great stuff, perfect ideas for my Mom!  Who needs Smith n David, when you have the Osceola Cheese Factory!

Between KCMO, and this, we could have easily crossed paths some time.  That is cool.  :cheersmate:

Offline namvet

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2011, 07:19:08 PM »
Oh wow.  Thanks for sharing namvet.  I remember going to that store with my brother when we were up for my Grandmother's funeral.  The beer was in the same fridge as the bait!  It was a sad occasion indeed, but my brother and I were on that verge of becoming grown-ups, and that beer was the best I ever had. 

I just googled the cheese factory and I can order on line.  Great stuff, perfect ideas for my Mom!  Who needs Smith n David, when you have the Osceola Cheese Factory!

Between KCMO, and this, we could have easily crossed paths some time.  That is cool.  :cheersmate:

the one's i remember also had live bait for fishing. we may have been in the same store.......who knows

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2011, 08:02:26 PM »
Howdy and welcome!!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline ConservativeMobster

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2011, 08:06:42 PM »
Welcome namvet!  I have an uncle in Blue Springs, never been there but it's on my list.

Hey, Tots?  You the forum Kevin Bacon or what????  :lmao:
Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?***Ronald Reagan

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2011, 09:17:45 PM »
Welcome namvet!  I have an uncle in Blue Springs, never been there but it's on my list.

Hey, Tots?  You the forum Kevin Bacon or what????  :lmao:

Could be!  I just love Kevin Bacon.  There are worse things in life.  Good to see you ma-dear!   :cheersmate:

Offline JLO

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »
name is Gary. from Gladstone, mo. just N or KC. im both a converv and a vet. (Nam) I served in the USN 66-70. married empty nester. retired so im a professional dead beat. take me some time to get squared away. nice being here .... salute

Hi Gary, lots of us knew 68-69TonkinGulfYachtClub from FreeRepublic who may have served with you.  He has passed, but you might enjoy 'his home page' (with pics and history) where he used to post.  He was very loved.

http://www.freerepublic.com/~6869tonkingulfyachtc/

Welcome :-) 
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline namvet

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Hi Gary, lots of us knew 68-69TonkinGulfYachtClub from FreeRepublic who may have served with you.  He has passed, but you might enjoy 'his home page' (with pics and history) where he used to post.  He was very loved.

http://www.freerepublic.com/~6869tonkingulfyachtc/

Welcome :-) 

thanks for the info. says he served on the Corry. this caught my eye, from his site:

I was there the same time Kerry was.
I was there Oct'68-Apr'69 on the destroyer USS Corry DD-817
which sometime supplied PCF's and PBR's
and provided gunfire and gunfire support
in North AND South Viet Nam.

My ship may have even supplied
Kerry's boat in the Mekong Delta

I wonder what he died from??? we are now finding out blue and brown water ships were exposed to Agent Orange. as early as last June the VA added these warships and auxiliaries to they're list for claims. I checked the list but did not find the Corry on it. these ships were up the river and tied up to the coastline. the Vietnamese dumped they're raw sewage into the sea. and of course this was contaminated with AO which drifted off shore to the blue waters. ships got they're drinking water from the sea. and we think the sprayings ashore drifed with the winds as far as 12 miles off shore.
we also faced another silent killer. asbestos   

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2011, 09:29:54 AM »
Welcome!!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline JLO

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2011, 11:00:20 PM »
thanks for the info. says he served on the Corry. this caught my eye, from his site:

I wonder what he died from??? we are now finding out blue and brown water ships were exposed to Agent Orange. as early as last June the VA added these warships and auxiliaries to they're list for claims. I checked the list but did not find the Corry on it. these ships were up the river and tied up to the coastline. the Vietnamese dumped they're raw sewage into the sea. and of course this was contaminated with AO which drifted off shore to the blue waters. ships got they're drinking water from the sea. and we think the sprayings ashore drifed with the winds as far as 12 miles off shore.
we also faced another silent killer. asbestos   

He had a stroke that he never recovered from.

Good to hear about the additional list for VA claims being added.  Hope you are well :-)
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2011, 04:18:16 PM »
Welcome to the Cave.  I have been remiss about visiting this forum as often as I should, since I see quite a few newbies here.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)