The Bar > The Lounge

'Hearty Eaters' Say Buffet Banned Them

<< < (3/4) > >>

Splashdown:
There was a "Simpsons" episode based on this very issue.

jtyangel:
I side with you all that said it is a buffet, but I have seen some real pieces of work go in there and take the place for all they can(I mean pocketing food--these guys obviously have the appetite and they should accomodate it since they are eating there, but the grab whatever you can and hit the door crowd :hyper: :whatever:). I just can't believe people can be so crass.

Flame:

--- Quote from: jtyangel on January 03, 2008, 08:21:49 AM ---I side with you all that said it is a buffet, but I have seen some real pieces of work go in there and take the place for all they can(I mean pocketing food--these guys obviously have the appetite and they should accomodate it since they are eating there, but the grab whatever you can and hit the door crowd :hyper: :whatever:). I just can't believe people can be so crass.

--- End quote ---

I think it is just a symptom of what's happening to society in general...people are out to get all they can for as little as they can, to heck with values and manners.

I try to limit what my kids get at a buffet place, 'cause I dont' want them to waste, but I also encourage them to try new things, so if they don't eat everything, i don't care, and let them go get something else.

jtyangel:

--- Quote from: Flame on January 03, 2008, 08:28:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: jtyangel on January 03, 2008, 08:21:49 AM ---I side with you all that said it is a buffet, but I have seen some real pieces of work go in there and take the place for all they can(I mean pocketing food--these guys obviously have the appetite and they should accomodate it since they are eating there, but the grab whatever you can and hit the door crowd :hyper: :whatever:). I just can't believe people can be so crass.

--- End quote ---

I think it is just a symptom of what's happening to society in general...people are out to get all they can for as little as they can, to heck with values and manners.

I try to limit what my kids get at a buffet place, 'cause I dont' want them to waste, but I also encourage them to try new things, so if they don't eat everything, i don't care, and let them go get something else.

--- End quote ---

I agree with your assertions, Flame. And I'm the same with mine. I tell them to just get a sample and they can either go back for more or try something else.

DixieBelle:
We were NEVER allowed to fill up our plates at a buffet with my mom supervising when I was young. I think we were 13 before we could do it on our own. And we KNEW that anything placed on our plates had to be eaten or we'd be in trouble. Loading up for the sake of loading up was unheard of. But when you see the parents doing it today, I don't expect any different from the kids.

I posted this on a girl's gossip board (I call it my chatty old hen club LOL) I belong to but it's appropriate here -

--- Quote ---I have a new pet peeve. Buffet/all you can eat hogs!!!   

We stayed at a hotel driving back home and again on the way back. We got up, packed our bags, loaded the car and checked out before sitting down in the lobby to have the "complementary breakfast". Usually they aren't much but you are paying for it when you book the room so I always try to make a meal out of it instead of going somewhere else to pay $$$ for breakfast ingredients that aren't expensive.

Anywhooo....

This particular hotel chain had a really decent breakfast set up. Coffees, teas, juice, milk, fruit, yogurt pastries, bagels, boiled eggs, cereal, even a waffle station. We were pretty happy. It was busy and it seemed like everyone else was trying to eat at the same time so we quickly grabbed things like yogurt, toast, juice and sat down. Unfortunately, the table was right next to the counter with all of the food so I had to endure a parade of butts while I ate. 

I noticed this one lady making bagels (and hogging the ONE toaster!) and I just went around her and opted to eat my bread untoasted since I didn't feel like waiting. She kept telling people to "go around me if I'm in the way"   There was one girl working the buffet area. I felt so sorry for her! She was running her butt off. She was also cleaning the waffle station. Apparently someone had made a huge mess. The batter was in some kind of dispensing machine?? and it looked like someone just opened it up and let it run all over the table.

Back to the food hog....the bagel lady FINALLY finished and gave the plate of bagels (six of them!) to another lady sitting down. She then started loading up on yogurt containers, cereal boxes, juice boxes and pieces of fruit. She then asked the poor girl working (and cleaning the mess) if the eggs in the cooler next to the milk were cooked or not. She said "yes, they are hard boiled" so the lady took 8! Then she wanted to know if the waffle machine was fixed yet. I was sitting right there so I could see and hear everything. The lady told her she was almost done and then she said "if you give me a towel, I promise not to make a mess again"   So SHE was the mess maker!

I could tell that she didn't want this lady messing things up again so she told her to give her a minute and then she would help her. She then had the nerve to ask for a tray! They don't have trays because this wasn't a cafeteria set up. It was a simple complementary breakfast bar with a few tables. No need to haul food around. The girl manages to dig up a tray (I think she probably did it to get rid of her) and then the lady proceeds to load up all of her freebies. She had at least a dozen bagels, 8 cartons of yogurt, juice, milk, an entire bunch of bananas, 6 apples, 8 boiled eggs, and a bunch of other stuff.

Her friend was sitting at a table near us and they kept talking in a foreign language. It was obvious they were telling each other what to get. It really doesn't matter what nationality they were. Let's just say they were pigs!!!  I'm not racist and it was obvious that the one lady doing all of the food hogging spoke perfect English.

As they were leaving, we were as well. I waited for my kid to come out of the bathroom and they grabbed their tray full of freebies and skulked out the back while looking over their shoulders. Ugh.
--- End quote ---

I wanted to complain to the manager but it was obivous that they knew about it and were not going to say anything to them.  :whatever:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version