The Bar > The Lounge

Couple Renovating Whole Neighborhood

(1/1)

jtyangel:
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2008/01/09/4762210-ap.html

--- Quote ---Couple renovates their neighbourhood
By Martha Waggoner, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

RALEIGH, N.C. - Conversations with Doug Frelke and Kim Bowden can take some unusual twists, such as this one:

"Which house are you renovating now: the one where prostitutes lived or the crack house?"

The couple, married for three years, have renovated four homes in their neighbourhood and are starting their fifth. That doesn't include their own home, where they laughingly say they renovate a room every time they sell a house.

They do it for the love of the off-the-beaten track neighbourhood they've adopted, and despite the violent crime they encountered along the way. Edmund Street, although located in a trendy inside-the-beltline area, is a multiracial mix of retirees and families. It's mostly an overlooked neighbourhood, not a neglected one, but until recently, one duplex at the end of the street housed prostitutes and another drug addicts.
--- End quote ---

I don't know that I could stay there after being attacked, but I admire their tenacity and commitment to purpose. It's a shame people damage neighborhoods to the point that people have to go in to renovate them to begin with.

DixieBelle:
good for them! it takes people like this to turn things around....

jtyangel:

--- Quote from: DixieBelle on January 10, 2008, 10:15:42 AM ---good for them! it takes people like this to turn things around....

--- End quote ---

As do I, and they are making a living in the process. Really, very impressive. Doesn't take tax incentives to clean up cities, but dedicated people who have some resources and pride in ownership in an area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version