Author Topic: The Dog Whisperer  (Read 3646 times)

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
The Dog Whisperer
« on: January 06, 2008, 11:22:26 AM »
Does anyone else think this show is just a tad B.S.? I'm watching a couple episodes here, and I can't believe that in just a short, short, period of time, these dogs with major behavioral problems can be turned completely around in just a few hours spent with this Ceasar Milan guy. Hell, it took me a couple days just to teach my dog to sit!

Opinions??

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Flame

Re: The Dog Whisperer
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:54:25 AM »
I love watching Cesar....and his ideas make sense.  I think it actually works, if the people are willing to do what THEY need to do.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:04:32 PM »
.......hey, anyone that can make Cartman behave. Just sayin'.  :-)

I do, however, think the owners are a bunch of wusses. I reach down, grab something from my dog, and get bit, he or she is going to be sliding across the hardwoods. I love my dogs to death, but I won't stand for that. I think my dogs know now when it's time to play and when I'm serious.

Another thing, I think the issue with these cases on the show is with the owners. A dog is going to do whatever you let it do. It's the reason the dogs are always under Kim when she eats, but not me. ...and she wonders why.  :whatever: She feeds'em from the table. I don't. It's a conditioned response.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 04:15:44 PM »
.......hey, anyone that can make Cartman behave. Just sayin'.  :-)

I do, however, think the owners are a bunch of wusses. I reach down, grab something from my dog, and get bit, he or she is going to be sliding across the hardwoods. I love my dogs to death, but I won't stand for that. I think my dogs know now when it's time to play and when I'm serious.

Another thing, I think the issue with these cases on the show is with the owners. A dog is going to do whatever you let it do. It's the reason the dogs are always under Kim when she eats, but not me. ...and she wonders why.  :whatever: She feeds'em from the table. I don't. It's a conditioned response.

I agree with you about the owners.  Some of them appear to just need a good bitch slapping. :chairshot:

As far as Ceasar's methods go, for me, the jury is still out.

My dog can't speak Spanish, so I wonder if that's the problem?? :confused:
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 05:58:29 PM »
Does anyone else think this show is just a tad B.S.? I'm watching a couple episodes here, and I can't believe that in just a short, short, period of time, these dogs with major behavioral problems can be turned completely around in just a few hours spent with this Ceasar Milan guy. Hell, it took me a couple days just to teach my dog to sit!

Opinions??

You had to teach your dog to shit??   :o  No kiddin??   :-)

I like Ceasar ..... I don't know how much they edit out but I'm in the camp of the other posters, and it is like he says in his show.  He is there to train the people and rehabilitate the dogs.  My dogs do half the stuff those dogs do and they would be walking around with broken ribs.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Shamrock

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 08:08:50 PM »
It would be really nice if the other ppl that live with us would do what we tell them to do to "train" the dog, but they don't.  "It's always playtime" or he(dog) is stupid!  We have the dog mostly trained but the dog has THEM mostly trained.  I can't imagine what will happen when ever we move.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 08:12:10 PM »
I dunno.

Some people have skills with animals, some people don't.

It's apparently something one is born with, or without.

I've never had problems "teaching" a dog, and it appears to me it's something instinctive in both the dog and myself, that does it.

Ditto for cats, but not as well.  Better than most people, but not as good as with dogs.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Shamrock

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 08:16:18 PM »
I wish we could "train" his(Skizz) parents!!!  Then the dog would prefect.  It's hard to "teach" the dog the right way and they come along do....whatever!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:33:36 PM »
oh...this isn't about techniques for the Bounty Hunter to avoid being tape recorded?

I've got a dog now that had been obedience trained before I got her. Best dog I ever had.
The only trick was to figure out what commands she had been taught and use them, after that it is just being consistent with her.
In other words, when I got her she knew what to do, I didn't. I've thought about taking her and myself for more training. More obedience and maybe something to teach her to be more protective of me and the property.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
I had a dog that was almost ready for Shutzhund trials (I got divorced and the ex got the dog before we could go to the next step.

She was very well trained and I can tell you that it is the owner that gets more training than the animal. 

Primarily, you have to realize they can't rationalize -- you have to be consist and repetitive with rewards and punishments and those have to be connected to behavior.

Given what I learned when my dog (and I) went through training, I could probably get a dog to stay in an area in about 20-40 minutes and even the owner would not be able to entice it out. 

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 08:57:38 PM »
Given what I learned when my dog (and I) went through training, I could probably get a dog to stay in an area in about 20-40 minutes and even the owner would not be able to entice it out. 

I could do it in less than one. A cage.  :lmao:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 08:59:32 PM »
Shutzhund trials
Never heard of that, but just did a quick google and see it has to do with German Shepards. I've been thinking that when something happens the the dog I have now I'd try a Shepard.

Offline ToastedRachel

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 05:36:19 AM »
His techniques are not working with my infant.  :whistling:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 06:38:22 AM »
I loved my Shephard.  If you go for the pure breed, get a German German Shepard, not an American one.  The Americans have destroyed the breed, since they like a sharp angular back. The resultant mutant monster they have bred looks like it has training wheels for back legs.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 12:01:56 PM »

Did you apply the pinch collar correctly? LOL

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin