Current Events > Breaking News

Billy Graham in Fair Condition After Brain Surgery

(1/2) > >>

Chris_:
Billy Graham in Fair Condition After Brain Surgery

ASHEVILLE, N.C. —  World-renown evangelist Billy Graham is hospitalized in fair condition after a successful surgery to update a shunt in his brain.

Doctors said the 89-year-old Graham was talking immediately after the short surgery performed Wednesday at Mission Hospitals near his home in nearby Montreat.

Graham has hydrocephalus, a buildup of fluid within the brain. The surgery replaced the value in a shunt installed in 2000 that drains excessive fluid from Graham's brain through a small tube.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330627,00.html

I had no idea Mr. Graham had hydrocephalus.  I'm glad he is doing well.

Replacing a shunt is a fairly simple procedure.  The pump is placed under the scalp with a catheter inserted into the skull through a small hole which heals after a few weeks.  It's fairly painless; I was awake and alert immediately after my last shunt placement with the usual soreness that comes with stitches.

BEG:
Why did you have to have a shunt Chris?

Rebel:
I thought he died a while back? :confused:

Chris_:
I have hydrocephalus.  I've had it since I was born, and had my last shunt replaced in 2003. 

They've made it smaller, and moved it from the back of the head behind the right ear to the top of the head where it's less obtrusive.

Chris_:

--- Quote from: Rebel on February 13, 2008, 06:47:10 PM ---I thought he died a while back? :confused:

--- End quote ---

His wife died a couple years ago.

CBN plays his sermons on weekdays.  They're nice to listen to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version