Current Events > Breaking News

Berkeley City Council Retreats From Anti-Marines Offensive, Voices Support for T

(1/2) > >>

Chris_:

--- Quote ---Berkeley City Council Retreats From Anti-Marines Offensive, Voices Support for Troops

BERKELEY, Calif. —  City councilmembers who were heavily criticized for telling Marine recruiters they don't belong here have moderated their position, saying they oppose the war in Iraq but support the troops.

Berkeley's City Council voted two weeks ago to send a letter to a downtown recruiting station advising the U.S. Marines they are not welcome.

After a marathon session that stretched into early Wednesday, the council decided not to send the letter, saying they recognize recruiters' right to be in Berkeley. The council said they still strongly oppose the war and the recruitment of young people into it, but "deeply respect and support" the men and women of the armed forces.

Some on the council had pushed for issuing an apology. But others rejected that, saying they just wanted to clarify their position.

Councilwoman Linda Maio said the council opposes recruitment, not the military. "It's behavior that we oppose, not the people," she said.

The meeting drew hundreds of people on both sides of the issue who rallied from dawn until well into the night outside City Hall.
--- End quote ---

MORE

What a pile of  :censored: bovine excrement.   :banghead:

Chris_:

--- Quote ---"It's behavior that we oppose, not the people," she said.
--- End quote ---

Typical liberal "logic."

Friend, I am defined by what I do.  What I think and feel don't matter in the grand scheme of things.  If you oppose what I do, you oppose me.

Lord Undies:
When asked about the council's decision to posthumously award Timothy McVeigh the keys to the city, Councilwoman Linda Maio said, "It's behavior that we oppose, not the person."

Attero Dominatus:
"We support the troops but not the war."

Heard that talking point a million times before.

Hey Berkley

:bird:

NHSparky:
I think these people would rather admit their daughter works in a whorehouse than admit she dated a service member, regardless of branch.

I've seen their type before--things like duty, honor, commitment, are nothing more than punchlines to these clowns.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version