Current Events > Breaking News

12-year-old charged with killing toddler with bat

(1/3) > >>

bijou:
...The boy, who was arraigned in juvenile court Sunday, had been left alone with his 10-year-old brother and a 17-month-old girl at a Lauderhill home on Friday, authorities said. The 12-year-old became upset because the toddler was making noise while he was trying to watch TV.

The 12-year-old grabbed a baseball bat and struck the little girl several times in the head, according to Lauderhill police spokesman Lt. Mike Cochran.

... The boy is charged as juvenile at this time and is being held in juvenile detention. Judge Martin Dishowitz found enough reason on Sunday to keep the boy locked up despite the his family's plea to release him. In court, the boy's family argued that he has no previous history of violence or criminal record.

''He's not a violent kid,'' his mother said. ``He's afraid of the police.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/466/story/369053.html

Shocking story, but that comment by his mother was unbelievable.  :(

Flame:
I have a 12 yr old son...don't think I'd leave him in charge of a 17 mth old.  He's a good kid, it's just..he's 12.  His brain has't grow in all the way, and he doesn't always make the best decisions.

Of course, my sister has left her youngest in the charge of her son, when the youngest was an infant and the son was 10, so what do I know?

Sad sad situation.

bijou:
I suppose it depends on the child, a responsible 12 year old for a short period of time such as the adult going to a neighbours house briefly for example is one thing, but for an extended period of time, even some adults find that stressfull.  But to pick up a bat? If you know your child has that sort of a short fuse then it is just asking for trouble to leave them to babysit one, let alone two, younger children.

Chris_:

--- Quote from: bijou on January 06, 2008, 04:41:28 PM ---I suppose it depends on the child, a responsible 12 year old for a short period of time such as the adult going to a neighbours house briefly for example is one thing, but for an extended period of time, even some adults find that stressfull.  But to pick up a bat? If you know your child has that sort of a short fuse then it is just asking for trouble to leave them to babysit one, let alone two, younger children.

--- End quote ---
I suspect the "he isn't a violent kid" remark is CYA.  Someone who picks up a bat when he is irritated has done so (or something similar) in the past.

RightCoast:
Crap, that is just terrible.   :censored:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version