Current Events > The DUmpster

Does MSNBC Claim to Be A Hardcore Progressive News Outlet?

(1/4) > >>

dutch508:

--- Quote ---Star Member MineralMan (140,426 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216097974

Does MSNBC Claim to Be A Hardcore Progressive News Outlet?

It does not. So, why should anyone expect it to be that and only present a perspective on the news that is far to the left?

MSNBC is a commercial enterprise that survives because it attracts a broad audience of viewers. The need to attract a broad audience is why left-leaning news networks do not exist and why attempts to create such networks fail again and again.

MSNBC is what MSNBC is. We watch it because it is not Fox News. We watch it because it trends more progressive than most other news outlets. We watch it because we like its programming better than other news outlets.

If we expect it to promote a single perspective that is held by a small minority of people, we will be disappointed, because such a focus would not be successful enough to make any sense.

It is up to us, as consumers of news and commentary, to do our own homework and engage in critical thinking. We should not expect any news outlet to match our points of view precisely. That will never happen. It simply cannot.

Attacking MSNBC for not being sufficiently progressive in its programming is a waste of time. It is what it is.
--- End quote ---

:whatever:

--- Quote ---Star Member brooklynite (74,090 posts)

2. Name any hardcore progressive news network....

…that has actual news-gathering capability.
--- End quote ---

:???:

--- Quote ---Star Member Trailrider1951 (2,665 posts)

29. Here you go:

https://www.democracynow.org/

Hear their broadcasts daily on any Pacifica Radio station:

https://www.pacifica.org/stations_page.php

I used to listen to KPFT when I lived in Houston. That's the station that had their transmitter blown up by the KKK.....twice.
--- End quote ---

:yawn:

KPFT was bombed (for the first time) 45 years ago this week 5/11/15

Someone had placed dynamite and destroyed the transmitter. The KPFT staff and volunteers rebuilt the transmitter, and got the station back on the air—this time with a concrete-reinforced transmitter shack. But by October, this time with 15 sticks of dynamite instead of just one, the anonymous attackers again destroyed the transmitter. KPFT remains, to this day, thankfully, the only radio station in U.S. history to have been blown up.

:whatever:

--- Quote ---Klaralven (6,680 posts)

5. Media Bias / Fact Check puts it at "Left" with factual reporting "Mixed"

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/msnbc/
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Claustrum (2,695 posts)

8. My problem with CNN is the guests and commentators they bring on.

Though, it might be a larger problem that the general republicans are on the crazy side after Trump. I am all for debating ideas but we end up debating what realities is nowadays.

I am a moderate at heart (on some economic issues, I might even lean right). But I found most republicans just crazy nowadays or at least the ones that lines up to go on these shows are.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Star Member Haggard Celine (14,303 posts)

15. That's what the GOP is these days. A bunch of nuts!

There are some who are simply conservative and haven't lost their minds, but they're afraid to speak up. Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger seem to be the only ones with any guts. I guess the people at CNN feel like they have to reflect reality when they book their guests, and the reality is that the Republican Party is controlled by the far right lunatic fringe these days.

I know what you're saying, it is like debating people who live in an alternate reality. Trump has always lived in his own reality, and he has hooked up with people like Alex Jones, and we all know about the reality he's constructed. It's like Trump said in the video, "Just say it, and they believe it.". He really thinks he can bend the world into his personal reality. It's sick as hell, but that's who's in control of the GOP.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---dsp3000 (244 posts)

55. CNN has been focused on hit pieces on biden and administration since the fall of afghanistan

It's so blatant and over the top with it's non-stop hit pieces on biden, harris and everything this administration is trying to do.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Budi (11,359 posts)

9. Msnbc lost me long ago with Chuck, Andrea & Chris.

Chris Hayes' brother Luke ran the Jamaal Bowman campaign against Engel.
That conflict of interest showed loud & clear.

Hayes' lean has always been far left over anyone else
He delivers for one demographic, not for us all.

Msnbc is not for me.

Msnbc lost me forever back in 2016.
Their coverage was ghastly unbalanced.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Budi (11,359 posts)

37. Maddow's gotten better & Bryan Williams is leaving.

Last edited Tue Nov 30, 2021, 05:14 PM - Edit history (1)

Got fed up with the Billion$ Corp Media's requests to push a preferred agenda as well as me.

He was the lone voice of true journalism.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Star Member gab13by13 (5,558 posts)

18. I never said that MSNBC

should be hard core Left, one reason, I don't know the definition of hard core left. Is Keith Olbermann a hard core leftist? Is Dylan Ratigan a hard core leftist? Was MSNBC doing the right thing in firing Ratigan because he was travelling across the country exposing crony capitalism?

I only watch 3 people on cable news; Nicolle Wallace, Chris Hayes, and Rachel. I would watch Mehdi Hasan were he on at a different time. Those people get it on msnbc. Those people understand that our democracy is hanging by a thread, those people make money for the main investors in COMCAST, Vanguard and BlackRock. MSNBC is owned and managed by Wall Street and Big pharma. You will never see a MSNBC anchor pushing for single payer health care, what you will see are plenty of ads pushing Medicare Advantage which was created to scam taxpayers and endanger Medicare.

MSNBC is pushing the very same right wing narrative that is pushed on Fox, that president Biden is failing and they back it up with propaganda polling. I choose not to believe that propaganda. What has president Biden done so wrong that he is failing? In my humble opinion I believe that the short time that Joe Biden has been president he is doing a fantastic job and you won't see that narrative pitched on MSNBC.

Here is who owns and manages MSNBC;
https://stangoff.medium.com/msnbc-is-not-your-friend-follow-the-money-e50d41299c18
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Star Member Kid Berwyn (7,579 posts)

27. Free News doesn't have to be fake.

Unfortunately, what passes for news is whatever Corporate McPravda says the news is.

That means the truth, reality and ethics are among what gets trampled when considering the bottom line, a devolutionry process accelerated by Conservative dismantling of the Fairness Doctrine and the laws and regulations that restricted media monopolization.

If you want a different model, I’d suggest We the People build something like Public Radio International, except with more and varied viewpoints.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Star Member Kid Berwyn (7,579 posts)

81. For-profit news is tainted.

Otherwise, three Americans owning more than half the country’s citizens put together wouldn’t be a shocker, it’d be news.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2019/jul/03/bernie-sanders/bernie-sanders-target-saying-3-richest-have-much-w/

Un-, mis- and disinformed citizens make poor choices in the voting booth and most everywhere else.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Star Member bigtree (79,978 posts)

39. what kind of strawman nonsense is this?

...yet another Mineral Man insinuation that progressives are doing something untoward.

Complete strawman bullshit.

Maybe find something better to do than dump on progressives, huh?
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Star Member bigtree (79,978 posts)

45. not believing any of this

...this is an ad hominem attack on some unnamed progressive who might expect something more than conservative claptrap from a news org.

There is no 'far left,' only people uncompromising on their progressive beliefs, unbowed by the steady drumbeat of people looking to 'moderate' their beliefs or expectations that Democrats will follow through on their progressive promises. It's not a new thing for people proclaiming their progressivism, to deingrate actual progressives demanding change or representation. 'Far left' isn't something you just coined. It's a time-worn slur of progressives, plain and simple.

You insult progressives all the time here. I've called you on it several times, so the 'insult' thing just looks like you sore again at being confronted by someone not accustomed to cheerleading ad hominum attacks on progressives.
--- End quote ---

:yawn:

ADsOutburst:

--- Quote ---There is no 'far left,' only people uncompromising on their progressive beliefs, unbowed by the steady drumbeat of people looking to 'moderate' their beliefs or expectations that Democrats will follow through on their progressive promises. It's not a new thing for people proclaiming their progressivism, to deingrate actual progressives demanding change or representation. 'Far left' isn't something you just coined. It's a time-worn slur of progressives, plain and simple.

You insult progressives all the time here. I've called you on it several times, so the 'insult' thing just looks like you sore again at being confronted by someone not accustomed to cheerleading ad hominum attacks on progressives.
--- End quote ---

:thatsright: Yes, there is a far-left. The fact that you consider what comes from mainstream news to be "conservative claptrap" shows you are on it.

DLR Pyro:
They fail to see the irony of defending messnbc of not being a hardcore progressive only news outlet when they have attacked Fox news for years as being hardcore right wing propaganda outlet for the GOP.

ADsOutburst:
Just look at the mainstream media unfairly maligning the Biden administration!:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwinioG-m8P0AhVUXc0KHSy6A24Q0PADKAB6BAgFEAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2021%2F11%2F30%2Fstyle%2Fjill-biden-white-house-christmas.html&usg=AOvVaw1Thw5bw1p5EtEa7FzijdOp

SSG Snuggle Bunny:
"All those people RWers hate aren't good enough for me!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version