Interests > All Things Edible (and how to prepare them)

What can you do with vegitable soup? How to mix it up?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dblhaul:
Vegetable soup is easy, some ingredients depend upon what proteins you wish to use.
Choose your veggies. I use onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms and what else I have in the fridge.
Cook the veggies in a dutch oven with EVOO till the onion gets cooked then ad a broth based upon your protein. Chicken broth for chicken soup, beef broth for a veggie and beef soup. For chicken I use precooked yard bird, both the dark and white meats. for beef I use what ever left over roast/London broil/steak I have.
Season with S&P, if you like you can also add rice/barley/egg noodles.   

ABC-2:
ABC to the rescue    :-)  with a little help from my Southern Living magazines  ...

On how to thicken soup.

--- Quote ---Add flour or corn starch.

You can thicken soup by adding flour or corn starch. For the best results, never add the flour or corn starch directly to your soup. If you do, it will clump up on top. Instead, ladle a small amount of broth into a separate bowl and let it cool. Add a few tablespoons of flour or cornstarch to the bowl and whisk until it's blended smooth. Next, bring the soup to a simmer and add the mixture back to the pot.

Pro tip: Don't dump in the entire mixture at once. You may thicken your soup too much. Instead, add a small amount at a time until it reaches the desired consistency
--- End quote ---

Try it, you'll like it, it works for me! 

See more here:  https://www.southernliving.com/food/dish/soup/how-to-thicken-soup

RuralNc:
Another great thickner for soups, Instant Mashed Potatoes. Or, Potato Flour.

Mr Mannn:

--- Quote from: RuralNc on June 23, 2022, 08:26:29 AM ---Another great thickner for soups, Instant Mashed Potatoes. Or, Potato Flour.

--- End quote ---
I had not considered instant mashed potatoes as a kind of flour, but now a whole set of possibilities are open. 
Now I wonder if you could mix with real flour and make a kind of potato bread like that.

RuralNc:

--- Quote from: Mr Mannn on June 26, 2022, 11:57:33 PM ---I had not considered instant mashed potatoes as a kind of flour, but now a whole set of possibilities are open. 
Now I wonder if you could mix with real flour and make a kind of potato bread like that.

--- End quote ---

Just saw your response.

I can answer that question. Im a professional Baker, by trade.

You can absolutely use Instant taters in bread dough. I occasionally offer it for sell, in my business. Sometimes I offer it in "Sammich Bread", sometimes in Buns, or Rolls. Sometimes whole unsliced loaves.

Instant Potatoes help bread to hold onto moisture, offering a longer shelf life. Also, brings a sort of earthiness to the flavor profile. I prefer the Walmart Great Value brand. They have no off taste, and are dirt cheap. They come in a brown box. At my local Walmart, they are in the Ethnic Section. Beats me as to why.. Bobs Red Meal offers actual Potato Flour. Its nearly the exact same thing for 3 times the money. God Bless Capitalism.  :)

I work in metric, so you would have to experiment. But, I usually use about 20% potatoes, by weight. So that translates to approx. 1/3 cup instant potatoes substituted for about 3 tbsp. flour. So, measure out your flour by scooping it into the measuring cup, then take out about 3 tbsp. Then put in, 1/3 cup potatoes. Thats for every cup of flour in your recipe.

Or, just by a cheap set of kitchen scales that measure in metric, from Wally World.  :-)

Moisture. The potatoes suck up the water in your dough. You will most definitely have to add more water. I usually make 8 loaves at once in the mixer, (20 quart) so I add the potatoes in little by little so the dough doesnt seize up. But I assume you would be making 1 loaf at a time, in something like a KitchenAid. You should have no problems. Just keep some extra water to drizzle in if needed.

If I can be of further assistance, dont hesitate. I can share a couple recipe's if you like as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version