Author Topic: Screw Windows 10.  (Read 13142 times)

Offline thundley4

Screw Windows 10.
« on: September 04, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »
I got tired of having to reset my network adapter after every single restart. Fortunately, reverting to Win 7 took only a few clicks and letting it do the whole thing itself.

Offline Boudicca

Re: Screw Windows 10.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 07:31:06 PM »
One short and sweet reason why I shouldn't *upgrade*.  Thanks. :cheersmate:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 09:40:48 PM »
I got tired of having to reset my network adapter after every single restart. Fortunately, reverting to Win 7 took only a few clicks and letting it do the whole thing itself.
Wow, I thought Windows 8 had lousy NIC support.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:07:48 PM »
Wow, I thought Windows 8 had lousy NIC support.

We have 3 computers with Win 7 and my wife has  a laptop with 8. No problems with Win 7 or the one running 8.

The one I had "upgraded" to 10 had a few problems.

Wireless headphones quit working even after reinstalling.

Randomly wake from sleep and stay on.

The NIC problem.

Google Chrome crashing often.

It stopped recognizing my phone as a mass storage device.

The built in card reader stopped reading memory cards, but wanted to format them.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 01:24:10 PM »
I've had issues with Bluetooth devices and wireless network adapters staying connected/online with Windows 8.  It's annoying as hell, especially when you need admin privileges to access the Device Manager.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 02:28:17 PM »
I've had issues with Bluetooth devices and wireless network adapters staying connected/online with Windows 8.  It's annoying as hell, especially when you need admin privileges to access the Device Manager.

The first computer we owned came with Win XP when it was out for only a few months. I liked it, and I like Win 7 which is very similar to XP.  Vista sucked as much or more than Win 10, but at least it worked most of the time.

I think Win 10 was an attempt, albeit a poor one to combine Win 7 and 8.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 03:11:31 PM »
I thought Windows 7 was relatively stable compared to Vista and not a bad OS at all.  I never had the problems with it that I do with W8.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 03:24:13 PM »
I thought Windows 7 was relatively stable compared to Vista and not a bad OS at all.  I never had the problems with it that I do with W8.

I'm hoping that Microsoft continues to support Win 7 for some time to come. I plan on buying a couple more installation dvd's for Win 7.

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 03:20:18 PM »
Running W10 on both computers. Not using their new browser, however. Laptop never loses connection, never has. Desktop did on older builds, but not since the release build and a new nic adapter driver.

Edge, the new browser, does not support ad blocking software and until it does, it is useless to me. It is slow loading with all the ads, and generally a pain in the ass to use like that. Until there is good ad blocking s/w, Edge is out of the question.

The o/s works with all the 3rd-party 64-bit software so far, so that is a plus.

Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 04:00:33 PM »
After reading more reviews about Win 10, I still can't see any benefits to upgrading from Win 7. That's completely ignoring my own bad experience with it.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 12:42:14 PM »
After reading more reviews about Win 10, I still can't see any benefits to upgrading from Win 7. That's completely ignoring my own bad experience with it.

You know what irritates me?

Every time after I turn on the computer, say some minutes later, a little pop-up screen appears on the lower right-hand side, asking me if I want to "tour" one of the features of Windows 10.

It also offers me the option of "don't bother me about this again."

I take that second option, but still it bothers me, every time the computer's been shut off and I come back on.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 12:56:36 PM »
You know what irritates me?

Every time after I turn on the computer, say some minutes later, a little pop-up screen appears on the lower right-hand side, asking me if I want to "tour" one of the features of Windows 10.

It also offers me the option of "don't bother me about this again."

I take that second option, but still it bothers me, every time the computer's been shut off and I come back on.

I still get the pop up telling me to upgrade to Win 10 for free even after getting rid of it.