Author Topic: Survey: How do you navigate CC?  (Read 8871 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Survey: How do you navigate CC?
« on: May 09, 2008, 09:44:34 PM »

I have asked several people this question, and I get some interesting answers.

personally, if I wasn't an admin, I would go forum by forum.  I like the election
forum a lot.  I would read everything in it.  and then politics.  and then GD.  and
on fridays (of course), I would hang out in the lounge.

but I have had some interesting responses.  Dixie has this elaborate process by
which she has everything marked as "read" when she signs off, and then reads
everything that she finds as "unread".

I also make it a point to read everything that certain posters post. 

I was just wondering if any of y'all have any habits that, if we were aware of, we
could fine tune the forums to in order to make it easier for y'all to find what you
liked.

Offline Wretched Excess

Re: Survey: How do you navigate CC?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:57:58 PM »

c'mon, folks.  if you don't want to post it here, then PM me with it.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 09:58:12 PM »
I'd describe my process as "willy-nilly".

I go to sports first and formost. I only comment on NFL, NCAA football/basketball, general sports interest and lastly... NFL again. (don't watch baseball and just like at old CU, I'm likely the only NBA fan on the board, LOL)

After sports it's pretty much a free for all. I like politics in general so GD, PR&R and economics is fun. I also tune in to the Dumpster and throw around a joke/comment or two.

The lounge is great for music, books, movies and some what's what and who's who stuff.

I tend to look at where the last post was made when I'm around and comment as the mood strikes. In short, fine tune away but I'm a happy camper as is and nothing will change for me if the place gets tweeked for other wiser users. (see: everyone else)

:-)
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 10:03:13 PM »
I'd describe my process as "willy-nilly".

I go to sports first and formost. I only comment on NFL, NCAA football/basketball, general sports interest and lastly... NFL again. (don't watch baseball and just like at old CU, I'm likely the only NBA fan on the board, LOL)

After sports it's pretty much a free for all. I like politics in general so GD, PR&R and economics is fun. I also tune in to the Dumpster and throw around a joke/comment or two.

The lounge is great for music, books, movies and some what's what and who's who stuff.

I tend to look at where the last post was made when I'm around and comment as the mood strikes. In short, fine tune away but I'm a happy camper as is and nothing will change for me if the place gets tweeked for other wiser users. (see: everyone else)

:-)

thanks, rearden.  that is useful information.  we will take that in mind when we tweak our forums.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:04:17 PM »
Whenever I come on, I go to "show unread posts" first, and read those, in whatever order they are, oldest ones first.

And then I just wander around.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 10:11:57 PM »
Whenever I come on, I go to "show unread posts" first, and read those, in whatever order they are, oldest ones first.

thanks, frank.  we're just trying to figure out how CCers use our board.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 10:18:41 PM »
I immediately go to show unread posts since last visit. That's always where I start.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 10:28:41 PM »
This may not be worth anything but I'm often logged in to CC w/o really being here. I navigate the interwebs at my favorite politics and sports places and only infrequently think to bring a story/link back over. I guess that makes me more of a "lurker" than my "9 days+" might indicate.

fwiw, this IS my favorite spot to settle in and talk shop when I actually do so.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 10:39:14 PM »
I immediately go to show unread posts since last visit. That's always where I start.

and what then?  when I do that, I always look for threads that I have posted to.  do you?

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 10:40:04 PM »
This may not be worth anything but I'm often logged in to CC w/o really being here. I navigate the interwebs at my favorite politics and sports places and only infrequently think to bring a story/link back over. I guess that makes me more of a "lurker" than my "9 days+" might indicate.

fwiw, this IS my favorite spot to settle in and talk shop when I actually do so.

yeah, I know.  just 'cause favre retired. :wink:

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 03:24:06 AM »
I ususally start with the unread posts and navigate from there.  I find that the easiest way to avoid missing anything.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 06:03:07 AM »

and what then?  when I do that, I always look for threads that I have posted to.  do you?

Yeah, I do look for that little icon of the threads I've posted in, just to see where the conversation goes after that. From there, I look for interesting posts. I'll always read threads started by specific posters, as I really enjoy the stuff they bring over.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 06:16:19 AM »
I just willy nilly it. Usually I'd start at the top and work my way down in the forums I have an interest in first. Usually ones I've posted in. Then I'll hit the others as time permits. I'll refresh every so often to get the new posts to show if I'm in the middle of a hot thread. Once every couple of days I'll do a purge and mark them all read and then start anew.

The theme I'm using for some reason starts at the bottom now when I refresh so I've been starting down here first.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 09:32:02 AM »
Dixie has this elaborate process by
which she has everything marked as "read" when she signs off, and then reads
everything that she finds as "unread".

That is my process as well.  I don't spend much time navigating the Cave - I just read what is curret and comment where I feel like it.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 10:53:48 AM »
I start with "show new replies to your posts", and then proceed to "Unread posts since last visit"

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Flame

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 11:14:51 AM »
I go through the forums, skipping ones I don't have much interest in.   IF there is a "hot" thread I'm interested in, I"ll check that out first.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 11:15:43 AM »
1.  Unread Posts
2.  New Recent Posts
3.  Shoutbox  :-)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 12:06:03 PM by Chris »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 12:06:20 PM »
I just strobe "latest posts."  That's it.

I despise the shout box and don't even look at it (except when I am on the rare hit on the home page), much less participate.

Offline jendf

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 08:19:34 PM »
I tend to gravitate toward the same 3-4 forums: General Discussion, Lounge, Sports, and The Dumpster.

I'll venture into the other forums if the latest thread catches my eye, I'm bored, or if it's listed in the the "since I was last here" link.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 08:33:46 PM »

I navigate in much the same way frank does...although I don't read them all..just what peaks my interest or if I'm interested in what certain posters have said who have replied last in that thread.

Offline Dixie*Darling

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 08:34:45 PM »
I start with "show new replies to your posts", and then proceed to "Unread posts since last visit"

doc

I pretty much do the same.  Then I check out where it says " Forum Stats: View the most recent posts on the forum".  I also like to see how many of us are here at "Users Online" and who's here as well.  We seem to have acquired some lurkers lately. 

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 08:37:26 PM »

doc

I pretty much do the same.  Then I check out where it says " Forum Stats: View the most recent posts on the forum".  I also like to see how many of us are here at "Users Online" and who's here as well.  We seem to have acquired some lurkers lately. 

interesting twist.

these are really helpful replies, everyone.  thanks.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 07:34:59 AM »
1.  Unread Posts
2.  New Recent Posts
3.  Shoutbox  :-)

1. check to see if I have any personal messages.
2. Shoutbox.
3. Unread Posts, of which all are read.
4. drag out the boat and row over to Skins's island.
5. post.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »
I always start at Breaking News and read newest stories then replies older stories that interest me.
Then off to the DUmpster where I read most threads just for shits and giggles.
Then Politics reading what interests me skipping most.
Then General Discussion reading most threads there.
Then Lounge reading all except the daily threads which irritate me for absolutely no rational reason.
Then Comedy Central, reading all.
Photoshop if there are any new ones. 
Guns never any new stuff.
If I am really bored I go to The Shortbus.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 10:24:02 AM »
I start at the top, and work my way down.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.