Author Topic: Obama Readies Afghan Escalation  (Read 517 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Obama Readies Afghan Escalation
« on: September 11, 2009, 10:09:46 AM »
Orwellian_Ghost  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Sep-10-09 09:17 PM
Original message
Obama Readies Afghan Escalation   Updated at 9:17 PM

Obama Readies Afghan Escalation
posted by Robert Dreyfuss on 09/08/2009 @ 10:17am

Don't look for surprises from President Obama on Afghanistan. During the two year campaign, and since taking office, he's been consistent. For Obama, Afghanistan is the right war, and he's staked his presidency on winning it. In order to placate the liberal-left and its allies in Congress, Obama is putting out the word (from the National Security Council) that he's willing to listen to all points of view, including those who believe that it's time to cut and run. Listen, he will. Cut and run, he won't.

The big papers today are full of showdown talk. "US Buildup: A Necessity?" headlines the New York Times, citing George Will-style alternatives such as fighting Al Qaeda long distance, via intelligence, Predator drones, and US special forces. The Times likens the conflict to a "quagmire with a muddled mission," but it then cites a litany of experts from the terrorism-industrial complex explaining why the US can't scale back its commitment. The Washington Post headlines Afghanistan as a "pivotal moment" for Obama. But after raising questions about US strategy, the Post answers them, too, suggesting that the US can't back down because of "the stakes involved and the investment already made." Also in the Post, columnist Anne Applebaum stresses the importance of the war, adding: "Obama needs to cajole and convince campaign, in other words, and campaign hard."

A passel of neoconservatives, under the leadership of the Foreign Policy Initiative -- a group founded earlier this year as a reconstituted version of the Committee on the Present Danger and the Project for a New American Century -- has written to Obama urging him to stand fast. It's ironic, since unlike 2001-2004, when they had plenty of co-thinkers inside government, this time the neocons are on the outside looking in, with few if any friends inside the White House. But that doesn't stop them from providing free advice, calling on the president to "fully resource" the war, i.e., to escalate it. In its letter, the FPI crowd, including Bill Kristol and Robert Kagan, warns:

Since the announcement of your administration's new strategy, we have been troubled by calls for a drawdown of American forces in Afghanistan and a growing sense of defeatism about the war.

And they add:

There is no middle course. Incrementally committing fewer troops than required would be a grave mistake and may well lead to American defeat. We will not support half-measures that repeat the errors of the past.

There is, of course, a middle course, and that's the path that Obama (unfortunately) is likely to take.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/09/09-6

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6518076

CountAllVotes  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Sep-10-09 09:21 PM
Response to Original message
1. . . .

U.S. OUT OF THE MIDDLE EAST/AFGHANISTAN NOW!!!!

:dem:

Hmmm Bush was Hitler and other bad things for being there yet with Obama you pay a little anti war lipservice shrug your shoulders then go back to crying for free health care.

Arctic Dave  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Sep-10-09 10:41 PM
Response to Original message
4. STOP CALLING IT A WAR!!!!

This is an occupation. This is nothing more then trying to strangle the Middle East into a submission hold so we can rape their resources.

Where is your impeach Obama bumper sticker?

Not one call for frogmarching or impeachment.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: Obama Readies Afghan Escalation
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 10:13:11 AM »
*looks at map*

"Middle" East?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
*looks at map*

"Middle" East?

shhh we have always been at war with Eurasia and chocolate rations have been increased from 30 grams to 25 grams.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:43:20 AM »
There is, of course, a middle course, and that's the path that Obama (unfortunately) is likely to take.

One nugget of truth in the pile.  Too weak to win, not allowed to leave.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »
Hey you sniveling Little Goons...the reason that there hasn't been a second 9/11 style attack on this country is BECAUSE we are in Afghanistan...Iraq...and bunch of other little places you never hear about.

Kicking their Allah loving ass on their home turf...keeps the military and first responders from having to save YOUR sorry ass right here at home.

:bird: morons!
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 11:00:33 AM »
Remember when Afghanistan was the "noble war" to the goons?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 11:31:06 AM »

Yeah for about 8 seconds.  :lmao:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 11:31:39 AM »

I remember it as the war the Libs were bashing before Iraq distracted them.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn