Author Topic: Obama Selects a Decorator  (Read 831 times)

Offline formerlurker

Obama Selects a Decorator
« on: January 30, 2009, 07:42:10 PM »
Obama Selects a Decorator
Posted by Jennifer Sergent Wednesday January 14, 2009 - 04:27 PM

Designer to the stars Michael S. Smith is coming to decorate the White House. With clients such as Steven Spielberg, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Cindy Crawford – and a host of royals and international tycoons – one might think it odd at first glance that the Obamas chose such a hoity-toity designer during such an economically bleak time.

Actually, it’s not odd at all. “He is equally at home at the most revered Parisian antiquaries as he is at Target,” says a press release that came out with his first book, Elements of Style (Rizzoli New York).

For example, Smith designed a sumptuous estate on eight acres in Montecito, CA (some of which is featured in Elements of Style). In the guest house, he used Indian-print cotton bedspreads from Urban Outfitters as drapes – “very inexpensive,” notes Diane Dorrans Saeks, Smith’s co-author on the book.

Likewise, in Cindy Crawford’s house, he used child-friendly denim for a sofa. “It’s cheap and hard-working,” Saeks says. “He’s looking for the best, at whatever price.”

http://www.washingtonspaces.com/blog/articles/2009/01/14/hollywood-comes-to-washington

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Obama Selects a Decorator
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:10:54 PM »
The fabric may come cheap, but you can bet Smith doesn't.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:59:06 PM »
To quote a DUmp reference to a anti-abortion ad..."I wonder how many hungry kids they could feed with all that money?" 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 11:33:01 PM »
If the White House design is similar to the designs she selected for her inauguration clothes, God help us all. It will cost millions to restore it after they leave.

I can visualize those antique couches covered in denim.  :whatever:

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:44:01 AM »
Well, to be fair...

...Michelle wore the last set of drapes to the inauguration.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 10:06:09 AM »
Cheap is a relative term.....

I went online to the sites quoted in the article....the reproduction sofa that seats 2 (it's 71" wide) is almost $3000. Is that cheap...yes....compared to an original restored antique. But comparing Anthropologie (the store) to Target....is a huge insult to Anthropologie.

I mix cheap with expensive all the time....most people do.

However....the decorator...Smith...is probably not by any stretch of the imagination....cheap. But....he could be doing this all free.....the amount of publicity he will get, particularly if he does a good job......could not be bought. Or he will just be paid a nominal fee....because I'm not sure "free" would be acceptable for the President (regardless of who it is) to accept.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.