Author Topic: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 10/6  (Read 585 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Perhaps no player in the Chicago Bears’ 104-year history better epitomized the team’s tough and determined identity than Dick Butkus.

A product of Chicago’s working-class South Side and the University of Illinois, Butkus became a fierce Pro Football Hall of Fame linebacker before embarking on a modest but enduring entertainment career in Hollywood.

“After football, it was difficult for me to find what I liked second-best,” Butkus once told the Tribune. “Football was always my first love. That certainly didn’t mean I couldn’t find something else. And the proof of the pudding is where I have ended up today.

“I guess I could have been one of those guys who didn’t prepare to quit. But things happened and through hard work I found out that, hey, there are other things besides football.”

Butkus, 80, died “peacefully in his sleep overnight” at his home in Malibu, California, the Butkus family said Thursday.

In 2019, the Tribune ranked Butkus No. 2 in a list of the 100 greatest Bears.

“Dick was the ultimate Bear and one of the greatest players in NFL history. He was Chicago’s son,” Bears Chairman George McCaskey said in a statement. “He exuded what our great city is about and, not coincidently, what George Halas looked for in a player: toughness, smarts, instincts, passion and leadership. He refused to accept anything less than the best from himself or from his teammates. When we dedicated the George Halas statue at our team headquarters, we asked Dick to speak at the ceremony because we knew he spoke for Papa Bear.

“Dick had a gruff manner and maybe that kept some people from approaching him, but he actually had a soft touch. His legacy of philanthropy included a mission of ridding performance-enhancing drugs from sports and promoting heart health. His contributions to the game he loved will live forever and we are grateful he was able to be at our home opener this year to be celebrated one last time by his many fans.”

Dick Butkus is arguably one of the best linebackers ever to play, possessing strength, agility and quickness to cover running backs and tight ends on the same play. He played for the Bears from 1965 to 1973, making seven Pro Bowl teams, collecting 22 interceptions and recovering 27 fumbles. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1979, his first year of eligibility.
Dick Butkus is arguably one of the best linebackers ever to play, possessing strength, agility and quickness to cover running backs and tight ends on the same play. He played for the Bears from 1965 to 1973, making seven Pro Bowl teams, collecting 22 interceptions and recovering 27 fumbles. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1979, his first year of eligibility. (Steve lasker/Chicago Today)

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson, in a statement, said Butkus “embodied the strength and the tenacity of his hometown with every snap he played on the gridiron.”

“He was a true Monster of the Midway, but also an actor, a commentator and a statesman for all things representing our beloved blue and orange,” Johnson said. “He was a giant of a player, and a man, and we will always remember his giant love and dedication to the City of Chicago.”

Born Richard Marvin Butkus on Dec. 9, 1942, he was the youngest of nine children of Lithuanian immigrants. His father, Don, was an electrician. His mother, Emma, worked in a laundry. Butkus grew up in the Roseland neighborhood and played high school football for coach Bernie O’Brien at Chicago Vocational.

At Illinois, Butkus played center and linebacker from 1962-64 and was a unanimous All-American in 1963 and ‘64. In 1963 Butkus won the Chicago Tribune Silver Football as the Big Ten’s most valuable player, and in 1964 he was named the American Football Coaches Association player of the year. Butkus finished sixth in Heisman Trophy balloting in 1963 and third in ‘64, and he finished his college career with 374 tackles.

Illinois athletic director Josh Whitman said in a statement that “the Greatest Living Illini has left us.”

“Dick Butkus was a giant in a land of giants,” Whitman said. “In a game built on toughness and tenacity, he stood alone. One of the most imposing figures to ever wear a helmet, away from the field, Dick was self-effacing, humble and generous. A cultural icon, Dick leaves a legacy on Americana that will never be forgotten.”

The Bears drafted Butkus in the first round of the 1965 draft with the No. 3 pick — one spot before they took another future Hall of Famer, running back Gale Sayers, making it one of the most productive drafts by one team in NFL history.

The Denver Broncos of the then-fledgling American Football League also drafted Butkus in the first round in 1965.

Butkus’ status as one of the greatest of all time is remarkable considering he never made the playoffs and enjoyed just two winning seasons in his nine-year career.

He was just that good — and ferocious.

Butkus’ highlight reels are shocking for their violence, tapping into a part of himself that even the most hardened football players find difficult to reach. He simply had no regard for his opponents.

Rams defensive end Deacon Jones, a Hall of Famer and one of the most feared defensive players ever, once said: “I called him a maniac. A stone maniac. He was a well-conditioned animal, and every time he hit you, he tried to put you in the cemetery, not the hospital.”

But Butkus was more than just a hard-hitting linebacker. He also was deftly skilled in pass coverage, racking up 22 interceptions.

Butkus started all 119 games he played. He was named first-team All-Pro five times and second-team once and was voted to the Pro Bowl after his first eight seasons. He’s the Bears’ all-time leader with 27 fumble recoveries.

“Near universally, Dick Butkus, a hometown hero in Chicago, was considered the person who defined the position of middle linebacker,” Pro Football Hall of Fame President Jim Porter said in a statement. “He established a level of production and intensity few have matched. USA Today once called him the ‘gold standard by which other middle linebackers are measured.’”

In 1994, the Bears retired the jersey numbers of Butkus (51) and Sayers (40) during a stormy halftime ceremony at Soldier Field.

Butkus, whose playing career was cut short because of multiple knee injuries, left the Bears with bitter feelings.

He filed a lawsuit in 1974, asserting that the Bears knowingly encouraged him to keep playing when he should have had surgery on his knees. The litigation caused friction between Butkus and Halas.

The parties eventually reached an out-of-court financial settlement, and the relationship between Butkus and the Bears improved over the years.

Trading on his tough-guy image, Butkus enjoyed a second career as a sports broadcaster, actor and sought-after pitchman for products ranging from antifreeze to beer. Whether the script called for comedy or drama, Butkus usually resorted to playing himself, often with his gruff exterior masking a softer side.

He appeared in “The Longest Yard” in 1974 and a dozen other feature films over the next 15 years, as well as the action series “Blue Thunder” and sitcoms “My Two Dads” and “Hang Time.” He returned to the Bears as a radio analyst in 1985 and joined CBS’ “The NFL Today” pregame show in 1988.

“Dick Butkus was a fierce and passionate competitor who helped define the linebacker position as one of the NFL’s all-time greats,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. “Dick’s intuition, toughness and athleticism made him the model linebacker whose name will forever be linked to the position and the Chicago Bears.

“We also remember Dick as a longtime advocate for former players and players at all levels of the game.”

The Butkus Foundation was formed to focus on his charitable endeavors. His most passionate initiative was the “I Play Clean” campaign, which concentrates on educating young athletes about the dangers of using steroids.

The Butkus Award was established in 1985 to recognize the top linebackers in high school, college and the NFL each year. The award also uses service to the community as part of its criteria.

Butkus is survived by his wife, Helen, and children Ricky, Matt and Nikki.

Fred Mitchell is a former Chicago Tribune sports writer. Will Larkin, also formerly of the Tribune, and the Associated Press contributed.

Back in the Sixties when I at least made some attempt to follow professional sports (I have lost interest since), Dick Butkus was one of those in the NFL's "Black and Blue Division" (NFC Central, which included the Vikings, the Lions, and the Browns) who would get everybody's attention. At that time I lived in the Detroit suburbs as a teen. Butkus was well-regarded and a fierce competitor. RIP, Dick. You were one of the best.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-dick-butkus-chicago-bears-dies-20231005-nq5cpsoro5aireeg6puv7yv5t4-story.html

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 10/6
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 08:05:50 AM »
Heard about this last night and was saddened to hear. He played mostly before I was born but his skills and the terror he caused at middle linebacker were legendary. Even though the Bears only have won one Super Bowl (he was gone before that), the team had a string of incredible middle linebackers. From Butkus to Mike Singletary and later Brian Urlacher.

RIP Mr. Butkus.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 08:45:32 AM »
Heard about this last night and was saddened to hear. He played mostly before I was born but his skills and the terror he caused at middle linebacker were legendary. Even though the Bears only have won one Super Bowl (he was gone before that), the team had a string of incredible middle linebackers. From Butkus to Mike Singletary and later Brian Urlacher.

RIP Mr. Butkus.

I'd heard of Singletary but never knew he played for the Bears. Another notable for the Bears who didn't go beyond maybe a couple of plays - William "The Refrigerator" Perry.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 09:03:40 AM »
Hotel Rooms Are Unavailable for Army-Navy Game Because They're Filled With Illegal Immigrants

The Army v. Navy game is a famous and popular college football showdown, especially for military families. Unfortunately, this year hotels in the Massachusetts town where the game will take place have filled rooms with illegal immigrants, so U.S. citizens are having trouble making reservations.

It’s bad enough that American taxpayers are spending millions or even billions of dollars housing illegal aliens who should never have been here to begin with. But now those same American taxpayers can’t book a lot of the hotel rooms in Foxborough, MA, for Dec. 9, because they’re reserved for illegals.

MRCTV’s John Simmons reported on Oct. 5:

Many supporters cannot make hotel reservations near Gillette Stadium because a number of rooms in the area are dedicated to housing foreigners who are here illegally. Mark Mansbach, a travel agent with Hillsdale Travel, said that 70 of the 400 rooms he has helped book for veterans have been reassigned to house immigrants…

The Bay State has a huge migrant crisis on its hands, thanks to its status as a “right to shelter” state. As a result, so many immigrants have flocked to the commonwealth and taken up so much emergency housing (like hotels) that Gov. Maura Healey declared a state of emergency in August.

According to Mansbach, it’s not just the lack of rooms creating an issue, it’s also the safety concern. And, of course, whenever government starts paying for lodging in an area, prices go up. “I have enough rooms to cover some of the people. Some people are looking around, but pricing is very high,” Mansbach explained. “For many, the issue is safety … they are questioning the safety of remaining hotels located near those that are now filled with migrants. Lots of questions by my clients, and most hotels are scrambling to come up with safety protocols.”

As Simmons noted, even though some hotel rooms are available, none of the illegals should be here—so all the rooms should be available (and certainly not “reassigned” to illegals). Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey sent her empty condolences to veterans who might have had their reservations canceled, but that’s about all she will do.

As Massachusetts state Rep. Steven Xiahros (R) said, per MRCTV, “How ironic. One of the biggest football games in America [is] at Gillette Stadium, the home of the New England Patriots…we can’t find rooms for people that have fought for and sacrificed for our country because we have people living in rooms that are not from this country.”

https://pjmedia.com/culture/catherinesalgado/2023/10/05/hotel-rooms-are-unavailable-for-army-navy-game-because-theyre-filled-with-illegal-immigrants-n1732712

I couldn't care less about the annual Army-Navy football game, though I appreciate that many VETERANS and CITIZENS do.

Illegals shouldn't even be here. That's why they're called ILLEGALS. They're sometimes called "migrants", but that's a lie. They're here illegally and they're sucking up billions of dollars in resources. **** 'em. Get 'em the hell out and let VETERANS and CITIZENS book those hotel rooms and enjoy the game.  :killemall:

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 08:55:51 PM »
Chicago residents rip mayor, officials for plan to house migrants in local field house: 'Ain't having that'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/chicago-residents-rip-mayor-officials-plan-house-migrants-local-fieldhouse-aint-having

Chicago residents protested Democrat Mayor Brandon Johnson’s plan to house a large influx of illegal immigrants in a local field house this week.

Frustrated locals gathered for a community meeting inside Amundsen Park field house in the city’s Galewood neighborhood on Tuesday evening to speak out against the mayor’s plan to house new migrants being bussed into the city after a protest earlier that afternoon.

City officials have warned the public that Chicago could start receiving up to 25 buses of migrants a day, for which Johnson is seeking makeshift housing at the field house.

Protesters, however, expressed that they do not want this surge of migrants in the facility and in other places central to their community at the event, which local FOX 32 affiliate described as "rowdy" and "contentious."

Chicago proclaimed to be a Sanctuary City. How is that working out, eh? Sorry to sound like a broken record.
:ownit:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 09:07:17 PM »
I recently re-watched Tom Hanks' produced HBO series "Pacific" and I distinctly remember Robert Leckie's story of continual combat on Guadalcanal for some 5-6 months and then getting down time in -- a soccer field in Melbourne, Australia.

Imagine that. Combat Marines after six months of bullets flying and fellow Marines dying being completely OK with being billeted in a soccer field.

Illegals camping out in a field house in the Chicago area are probably grateful. But **** 'em. Get 'em out. They don't belong here unless they go through the defined process.