Author Topic: What does a religious person call somebody who believes something different?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline CC27

DetlefK (12,318 posts)

What does a religious person call somebody who believes something different?

What does a religious person call somebody who believes something different?

Believers have different words for such people: schismatics, heretics, pagans, infidels...

What does a scientist call another scientist who thinks that a different theory is correct?

Colleague.

https://upload.democraticunderground.com/1218280249

You DUmp monkeys call people fundies so.  :whatever:

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Unless one of those scientists is a "climate denier" then it is  :angryvillagers: time.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Hardly, there is no bitter, vitriolic lifelong-hatred bitch-fight like one between two scientists with different theories in the same field.  They might say 'Colleague' but it'll be dripping with sarcasm and spite, and accompanied by words like charlatan, fraud, huckster, and fool.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
What does a scientist call another scientist who thinks that a different theory is correct?

Colleague.

You're an idiot.

They usually call them "wrong".
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Unless one of those scientists is a "climate denier" then it is  :angryvillagers: time.

or argues for Intelligent Design.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
The common word to use is "unbeliever". That doesn't fit the primitives' agenda, so it would be dismissed for what they imagine would be the words used.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Another common name is charcoal briquettes.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SVPete

schismatics, heretics, pagans, infidels

Contrary to "DetlefK" ignorant claim, those words aren't used much in Evangelical Christian circles. The words all have meanings much less lurid than the image he's trying to conjure, but they just don't enter into teaching and discussion that much.

"Infidels" seems more associated with Muslims; an equivalent that is used among Christians would be "unbeliever". But "unbeliever" is a descriptive word, not an epithet or mockery. And much as "DetlefK" would reject it - based on the tone of his post - "unbeliever" is usually used to express love, concern, and caring for people Christians see as having a need (a need they themselves once had).

"Schismatic" is used very occasionally, I believe, among Catholics to describe some person or group who has split off from the Catholic Church. It's kind of an ivory-tower level word rather than a pew-level word. I suppose, being a Protestant, that I could be called a "schismatic".

"Heretic" or "Heresy" are used occasionally among Evangelicals, usually in some apologetics context. I think the same is true among Catholics. It's not used as an epithet or insult. It's a word that refers to a teaching or teacher of same that is contrary to Christian teaching and is causing division in a congregation or among Christians more generally.

"Pagan" is also used occasionally among Evangelicals, usually in reference to people who have thus self-identified.

I doubt "DetlefK" is around enough Christians often enough to know how we speak.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete1

• Probationary (Probie)
Every bad name they can think of?

Do I win anything?