Author Topic: 'Just signed your death warrant': Larry Nassar sentenced to 40 to 175 years  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
'Just signed your death warrant': Larry Nassar sentenced to 40 to 175 years
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2018/01/24/larry-nassar-makes-apology-before-sentence/1060107001/

LANSING – After seven days and 156 victim-impact statements, disgraced former doctor Larry Nassar was sentenced to decades in prison for sexual abuse.

Those seven days, often filed with courtroom applause for the victims who spoke, made the once-prominent Michigan State University and USA Gymnastics doctor a national and international name like he had never been before. In emotional statements, the women and girls — some Olympic medalists and some still high school students — spoke of their abuse, their lasting trauma and their transitions from victims to survivors.

When it was over, Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Rosemarie Aquilina sentenced Nassar to 40 to 175 years in prison on seven sexual assault charges. Those years will only be served if Nassar, who is 54, survives the 60-year prison sentence handed down in December by a federal judge.

There is a special place in Hell for Larry Nassar.  :mad: :argh:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline thundley4

Related, but I don't know how.

Michigan State president resigns over Nassar scandal
https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/24/us/michigan-state-president-resigns/index.html

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Related, but I don't know how.
 https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/24/us/michigan-state-president-resigns/index.html

apparently, MS president should have caught on something was going on, or something...
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline dixierose

According to what I've been reading, some people at MS were told about what was going on. Kinda like the Penn St case. I'm not sure if she was one that knew; but the people on twitter who are following the case were calling for her to resign all week.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
apparently, MS president should have caught on something was going on, or something...

Supposedly, there were complaints about him at MSU, and the MSU prez glossed over them.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
That judge talked to Nassar the same way good Americans talk to liberals.

I don't care if the MSU admins go down. Chances are good most of them are politically kooks anyway who will be replaced with new political kooks.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
There’s A Line Between Justice And Vengeance. Larry Nassar’s Judge Crossed It.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/larry-nassar-judge_us_5a6a204ee4b06e25326595eb

Rosemarie Aquilina, the judge who presided over the astounding sentencing hearing of former USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar this month, has emerged as a heroine for victims of sexual assault.

Her decision to allow 156 women and girls to address their alleged abuser in court, with their emotional testimony streamed live across the nation, created an invaluable opportunity for catharsis, and directed vital attention to what is likely the worst sex abuse scandal in U.S. sports history.

But Aquilina’s manner during sentencing, in which she said she was honored to sentence Nassar to die in prison and suggested he deserved to be sexually assaulted himself, has raised questions about whether she overstepped her role as an impartial arbiter of justice.

No surprise from leftist bleeding heart Huff N Post.  :mad: :bird:

Even the comments are idiotic to put it mildly.

Kathy Graham ·
Elementary Teacher at KCMSD
So is this what this is all about? I am a woman. Do not include all women in this. That's not cleaning house. There is something to be said about a case when all evidence points to something. No one would do that. Nor did he say he was guilty. It certainly seems like (and there is more than enough data from Innocence Projects) we have been putting the wrong people in jail. The people who are actually behind the whole thing are the ones that need to go.
Like · Reply · 5 · 6 hrs

Theda Saffo
Ron Reinhardt. No eye role from me. Judge was wrong to say she hoped this guy would be physically assaulted in prison, Judges are supposed to enforce the law, not encourage others to break it. This doesn’t make her a strong woman, it makes her a weak judge.
Like · Reply · 5 · 2 hrs
Females are their own worst enemy.

Mark Law
Justice is supposed to be blind. This judge obviously used her moment in the spotlight to gun for her own TV show.
Like · Reply · 70 · 7 hrs
Proof?

Joe Prato ·
Purdue University
She over stepped her bounds and tarnished what would otherwise be a very fitting end to the Larry Nassar story.
Like · Reply · 13 · 7 hrs
:bird:

Frank Renaud
A courtroom should never resemble an Oprah show. The judge showed very bad taste and was very unprofessional. “I am signing your death warrant” - seriously. She is a judge, not a prosecuting attorney.
Like · Reply · 14 · 6 hrs
How is this Oprah????????????  :mental: :bird:

Steve Turner ·
Johns Hopkins University
I’m sure it was great TV drama, but it might also be grounds for an appeal. It would be a shame to sacrifice justice for grandstanding, which is why judges usually make a point be be very restrained emotionally.
Like · Reply · 11 · 6 hrs
Larry Nassar pleaded guilty. Even if he appealed that, it is probably going to get denied.

Jan Willem ·
Culemborg
I thought the same thing. It is no place for a judge to utter such personal condemning opinion. We want our judiciary to be impartial and objective in their sentencing. She clearly wasn’t and should have been excused. He might even have a case, by which she weakened the position of the girls and women who were impacted by his behavior.
Like · Reply · 8 · 5 hrs

Emily Bazelon

@emilybazelon
Not OK with me. Giving the victims an open forum was incredibly powerful use of the courtroom. Holding Nassar accountable hugely important. But blood thirsty retribution undermines image of judicial impartiality. This line is just too much. https://twitter.com/MarkARKleiman/status/956362246690672640

9:13 PM - Jan 24, 2018
 85 85 Replies   134 134 Retweets   591 591 likes
Her grandfather is the reason why crazy people are out in the street. Emily Bazelon is a stupid leftist hack.  :bird:
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Gymnastics scandal: 8 times Larry Nassar could have been stopped
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gymnastics-scandal-8-times-larry-nassar-could-have-been-stopped-n841091

At the sentencing hearing for Larry Nassar, 156 women vented at the once-respected doctor they say molested them. But there was just as much anger for the institutions where he worked, Michigan State University and USA Gymnastics, which are accused in lawsuits of ignoring two decades worth of opportunities to stop abuse.

"This could have stopped in 1997," one accuser said.

With the U.S. Olympic Committee launching an independent investigation and the Michigan Attorney General set to review the matter, more details about who knew what and when could come out in the future.

Everyone at Michigan State and USA Gymnastics are just as guilty and evil as Larry Nassar. They deserve to be brutally and painfully executed along with Larry Nassar.  :mad: :argh:
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
OTL: Michigan State secrets extend far beyond Larry Nassar case
http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/22214566/pattern-denial-inaction-information-suppression-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY administrators have long claimed, to the federal government and public, that they have handled sexual assault, violence, and gender discrimination complaints properly.

But an Outside the Lines investigation has found a pattern of widespread denial, inaction and information suppression of such allegations by officials ranging from campus police to the Spartan athletic department, whose top leader, Mark Hollis, announced his retirement on Friday. The actions go well beyond the highly publicized case of former MSU athletic physician Larry Nassar.

Over the past three years, MSU has three times fought in court -- unsuccessfully -- to withhold names of athletes in campus police records. The school has also deleted so much information from some incident reports that they were nearly unreadable. In circumstances in which administrators have commissioned internal examinations to review how they have handled certain sexual violence complaints, officials have been selective in releasing information publicly. In one case, a university-hired outside investigator claimed to have not even generated a written report at the conclusion of his work. And attorneys who have represented accusers and the accused agree on this: University officials have not always been transparent, and often put the school's reputation above the need to give fair treatment to those reporting sexual violence and to the alleged perpetrators.

With Larry Nassar heading to prison, it is only the beginning for Michigan State.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Even Larry Nassar Does Not Deserve To Be Raped In Prison
https://deadspin.com/even-larry-nassar-does-not-deserve-to-be-raped-in-priso-1822427894

Like many Americans, Jan Lastocy was watching the Larry Nassar sentencing hearing this week. She listened to Judge Rosemarie Aquilina.

“I was loving even before the closing that she let every survivor who wanted to talk, talk,” Lastocy told me. “I loved that about her.”

Getting really sick and tired of bleeding hearts. They are just as bad as criminals if not worse.  :censored:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:17:06 AM by Ptarmigan »
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Some of the comments are idiotic from the New York Slime.
https://www.facebook.com/nytimes/videos/1971938443023668/

Laura Wilson No matter how heinous the crimes, I do not appreciate judges engaging in this kind of talk. "I just signed your death warrant?"
Typical bleeding heart leftist! :bird:

Denise Rendon What an inappropriate comment for a judge to make. Good thing he plead guilty, or some lawyer would get his sentence overturned because of her "unprofessional remarks".

Jim McGinnis Judges should never show emotion, especially pleasure at a sentencing hearing. Tells me volume about this Judge. She should not be on the bench.

Jim McGinnis Gwen, I'm a lawyer and have read many judicial opinions. I have never read one that expressed pleasure in sending somene to prison.

Nina Delmonte Flanagan I agree. Just give the sentence and spare the drama. It’s grandstanding. This was a despicable debacle by those who also covered up for him

Bill Wilkie He is a monster who deserves life in prison. He is also mentally ill. That said, the judge’s comments are narcissistic, grandstanding, and unprofessional throughout.

Pedro Goizueta Regardless of how heinous the crime is or how fair the sentence is (both at the “very much” end of the scale) a judge’s function should be and appear to be stripped out of any emotions. Otherwise the whole process could be jeopardised and considered biased. I acknowledge these comments were after Nassar had been proved guilty by the facts but its unnecessary and unprofessional.
Larry Nassar pleaded guilty as he took a plea bargain. Get a CLUE! :bird:

Björn Gregull A judge referring to religion should be removed from his/her job (church and state do not mix). And applauding in a courtroom is unacceptable. Would not happen in civilized states in Europe. The judge does his/her job and then it is done. No nee for more humiliation and bs talk...

Europe has a long history of war and terrorism. Sounds like another dumb leftist!  :bird:

Stefani Twyman I understand why he was incarcerated, but i think he needs help as well. Most assuredly somewhere along the road in his life something had to have happened to turn him into the person he became. I feel in addition to prison time he needs psychiatric help as well.
Scum like Nassar cannot be rehabilitated. He deserves to die a slow and agonizing death.  :bird:

Ted McDonough This judge must be applying for the Judge Judy show... what a grand stander.

Reading this comment is worse than DU.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:46:12 AM by Ptarmigan »
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Old n Grumpy

With time off for good behavior he will be out in about 100 years. :lmao: :lmao: :rotf: :rotf:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Nassar to be sentenced in Eaton County on Wednesday
http://wlns.com/2018/01/29/nassar-to-be-sentenced-in-eaton-county-on-wednesday/

CHARLOTTE, Mich. (WLNS) – Larry Nassar is set to appear in front of Eaton County Circuit Court Judge Janice Cunningham on Wednesday for his sentencing hearing on the three counts of first degree criminal sexual conduct he pleaded guilty to last year.

The hearing Wednesday, will come exactly one week after the former MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor was sentenced to 40 to 175 years in Ingham County on seven first-degree criminal sexual conduct charges.

Just execute that scumbag!  :mad: :argh:
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Nassar to be sentenced in Eaton County on Wednesday
http://wlns.com/2018/01/29/nassar-to-be-sentenced-in-eaton-county-on-wednesday/

Just execute that scumbag!  :mad: :argh:

The methods of Vlad Tepes would do just fine. :whistling: :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: 'Just signed your death warrant': Larry Nassar sentenced to 40 to 175 years
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 07:35:48 PM »
But Aquilina’s manner during sentencing, in which she said she was honored to sentence Nassar to die in prison and suggested he deserved to be sexually assaulted himself, has raised questions about whether she overstepped her role as an impartial arbiter of justice.

Actually that's true, intemperate remarks by a judge just create needless appellate issues in otherwise-sound cases, every judge worth his or her salt knows better  than to throw in their personal opinion on shit like this.   Not this one, apparently.

And it's very unlikely he'd be put in general population anyway, which any judge who's ever dealt with post-conviction issues (I.e., also almost all of them who've  been judges for more than a month) would normally know.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 09:13:23 PM »
Opinion: Larry Nassar's attorney was criticized — but here's why I support her
https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/contributors/2018/02/01/opinion-defense-lawyers-deserve-appreciation-not-ire/1082774001/

I believe in the Constitution, which is why I support Shannon Smith, the attorney who was criticized for doing her job in the Larry Nassar case.

It is unpopular to be a criminal defense attorney, especially one who represents people accused of serious and often heinous crimes. I know. I do this for a living.

Proof why lawyers are hated.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 09:14:29 PM »
Parents lash out at Larry Nassar: 'You violated our daughters'
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/02/02/parents-lash-out-larry-nassar-you-violated-our-daughters/300697002/

At Larry Nassar's third criminal sentencing hearing in Michigan, parents stood alongside their children, and told the former USA Gymnastics doctor how his sexual abuse hurt more than his 250-plus victims.

After victims shared disturbing details about Nassar's treatments, mothers and fathers expressed anger, sadness and most of all — guilt.

Good for the father.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du