Author Topic: somebody's screwing with  (Read 12968 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
somebody's screwing with
« on: October 23, 2015, 07:39:40 PM »
You know, I'm getting really tired of the malicious forces, whatever they are, that are screwing with the Drudge Report.  For quite some time, it seemed as if that web-site were "incompatible" with Explorer, as if Bill Gates wants to drive it off the internet.

It happens only with the Drudge Report, no other site.

This is what I'm getting; at first, for half a split-second, the regular Drudge Report shows up on the screen, and then suddenly that evaporates, being replaced by things such as this:

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: somebody's screwing with
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 12:34:43 AM »
I don't see an antivirus or anti-malware installed on your computer.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 01:17:51 AM »
I don't see an antivirus or anti-malware installed on your computer.

Windows Defender.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 08:49:03 AM »
Download and run MalwareBytes.  It looks like you may have some malware on your machine.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 09:08:13 AM »
Download and run MalwareBytes.  It looks like you may have some malware on your machine.

Okay, thanks, doing that right now.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »
All done and run, Chris_.  Thank you.

But what the Hades is this Windows Defender thing then?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 09:50:14 AM »
It's the firewall/antivirus that comes with Windows.  Normally it works pretty well (I use it at home).

Offline Ken8521

• DeSantis 2024!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 05:02:58 AM »
Honestly, you really need to try and break away from IE... it is more or less the highway for most malware to a computer.  Chrome, Firefox, Opera.... There's choices out there.  No matter what browser you use however, you gotta pay attention.

There's always the option of learning a new OS.  I don't know what all you use your computer for, but setting up a dual boot system w/ Linux is pretty simple.. and for general web surfing, facebook, youtube, etc.. it'll more than suffice.  It's also nice because you can download it to a flash drive and try it... and if you don't like it, you simply reboot, remove the flash drive, and you're back at Windows as if nothing had happened.

Been Windows free for almost 8yrs, wouldn't change it for a second.  I feel lost when I use a Windows desktop now days.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 12:46:17 PM »

Okay, apparently that was a two-week free trial, and it's over now.

What next?

Thanks.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 01:14:09 PM »
There should have been a free version available.  Did it fix the problem you're having?

Here's the free one: https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_current/

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 01:20:37 PM »
There should have been a free version available.  Did it fix the problem you're having?

Here's the free one: https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_current/

Well, it did something that was good, taking care of all interference with the Drudge Report.

I'd downloaded it from your link earlier given; I'll try this one now.  Thanks!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 04:28:41 PM »
Honestly, you really need to try and break away from IE... it is more or less the highway for most malware to a computer.  Chrome, Firefox, Opera.... There's choices out there.  No matter what browser you use however, you gotta pay attention.

There's always the option of learning a new OS.  I don't know what all you use your computer for, but setting up a dual boot system w/ Linux is pretty simple.. and for general web surfing, facebook, youtube, etc.. it'll more than suffice.  It's also nice because you can download it to a flash drive and try it... and if you don't like it, you simply reboot, remove the flash drive, and you're back at Windows as if nothing had happened.

Been Windows free for almost 8yrs, wouldn't change it for a second.  I feel lost when I use a Windows desktop now days.

Linux is my friend - I use it for nearly everything. The home is networked via Linux, and it works well to keep intruders out of it. With that being said, I do have a couple of W10 systems for a few specific purposes, as well as one OSX El Capitan system.One W10 system as well as OSX is used for development, (Unity) ,Photoshop, etc etc. Two others are used for gaming (one is a retrofitted arcade cabinet, the other a retrofitted Atari 2600 ) Everything else in the house is either Linux or Android.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 04:40:12 PM »
Linux is my friend - I use it for nearly everything. The home is networked via Linux, and it works well to keep intruders out of it. With that being said, I do have a couple of W10 systems for a few specific purposes, as well as one OSX El Capitan system.One W10 system as well as OSX is used for development, (Unity) ,Photoshop, etc etc. Two others are used for gaming (one is a retrofitted arcade cabinet, the other a retrofitted Atari 2600 ) Everything else in the house is either Linux or Android.

See, that's the deal here.  You and Ken and probably nearly everybody else here uses a computer for serious reasons, while I use mine simply for frivolous purposes.  I can't think of anything in real life for which I really need the computer.

So this one's basically just for hanging out here.

Given my lifetime resistance to learning things I really don't need to bother with, since I started computer life using Explorer and got used to it, no point in changing.
apres moi, le deluge