Author Topic: Huckabee Supporters Get Warning Letters  (Read 4650 times)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Huckabee Supporters Get Warning Letters
« on: January 03, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »
Ministers Who Support Huckabee Receive Anonymous Warning Letters

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- Iowa pastors who support Republican Mike Huckabee for president have received letters warning them that getting involved in politics could endanger the tax-exempt status of their churches.

Several pastors who have publicly backed Huckabee, a Southern Baptist minister who has support from many evangelicals, said they have received the letters, which have no return address. They have arrived in the weeks leading to Thursday's precinct caucuses.

Two letters were sent to the Rev. Brad Sherman, of Solid Rock Christian Church in Coralville. The first arrived a couple weeks ago and warned that he could be prosecuted for his support of Huckabee.

"I just laughed. No one lands in jail for this," Sherman said. "Somebody is trying to intimidate Christians from getting involved."

A second letter came Wednesday. It alleged that the Internal Revenue Service is looking for churches that back candidates in violation of tax rules and mentioned Iowa Sen. Charles Grassley, a Republican who has sought information about spending by high-profile ministries.

The Rev. Kevin Hollinger, of First Baptist Church in Algona, has received three similar letters. Although Hollinger has endorsed Huckabee, he hasn't urged his congregation to support a particular candidate.

"I just encourage people to get out and vote and use their biblical principles," Hollinger said. "I don't tell people who to vote for."

Hollinger said he doubted the letters would intimidate anyone.

The Rev. Rex Deckard has received nine letters, including three on Wednesday.

Deckard, of Calvary Apostolic Church in Des Moines, said he wondered about the motive of the letter writers and assumed they must think pastors are ignorant of the rules regarding church involvement in politics. Regardless, he said the letters won't change his intention of caucusing for Huckabee.

"I'm very impressed with him as a person and I think he's a tremendous individual," Deckard said.

Jim Harris, a Huckabee spokesman in Little Rock, Ark., said the campaign was aware of the letters but did not know how many pastors have received them or whether they were just being sent in Iowa.

"We are gathering more information even as we speak," Harris said. "I would not rule out that we would ask for a criminal investigation, and people who would send such threatening letters to ministers for purely political purposes are cowardly and reek of desperation."

:ranton:

Just out of curiosity, why can't a Pastor be political? Oh, because his church is tax exempt? BS. A church is a collection of people who already pay taxes. It's nothing more than a group of people getting together to share a common goal, and sorry DIMs, supporting abortion on demand, etc. isn't on their list of goals.

Now, this brings me to another entity that's "also" tax exempt. A labor union is a 501(C) tax-exempt organization. Is there, or has there ever been, an attempt to shut those f'ers up? Do THEY not pride themselves in supporting the biggest moonbat they can find on the ticket?

Stuff like this pisses me the hell off. 
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: Huckabee Supporters Get Warning Letters
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 03:08:31 PM »

:ranton:

Just out of curiosity, why can't a Pastor be political? Oh, because his church is tax exempt? BS. A church is a collection of people who already pay taxes. It's nothing more than a group of people getting together to share a common goal, and sorry DIMs, supporting abortion on demand, etc. isn't on their list of goals.

Now, this brings me to another entity that's "also" tax exempt. A labor union is a 501(C) tax-exempt organization. Is there, or has there ever been, an attempt to shut those f'ers up? Do THEY not pride themselves in supporting the biggest moonbat they can find on the ticket?

Stuff like this pisses me the hell off. 

For the record, only conservative pastors can't be political. If you have a church in Harlem, or if you're supporting the Ds, you can be as political as you want.
 :whatever:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 03:14:23 PM »
For the record, only conservative pastors can't be political. If you have a church in Harlem, or if you're supporting the Ds, you can be as political as you want.

Reverend Jesse Jackson and Reverend Al Sharpton come to mind.

None of the moonbats said a single word about either of them. I wonder why? :confused:
Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 03:45:09 PM »
Yep. Obama and Hillary were "preaching" at churches months ago. That is apparently okay.  :banghead:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 05:49:30 PM »
This has Romney all over it.....the gloves are coming off..... :popcorn:

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »

Reverend Jesse Jackson and Reverend Al Sharpton come to mind.

None of the moonbats said a single word about either of them. I wonder why? :confused:

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are racists.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 06:33:04 PM »
This has Romney all over it.....the gloves are coming off..... :popcorn:

Finally.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.