Author Topic: Today a twenty-something told me that she doesn't plan to have children because  (Read 919 times)

Online Muddling 2

Today a twenty-something told me that she doesn't plan to have children because of climate change.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212846613

I'm confused.   I thought demographics were going to guarantee permanent Democrat Party dominance?  They're not even replacing themselves!

:mental:
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline DLR Pyro

Today a twenty-something told me that she doesn't plan to have children because of climate change.

I'm confused.   I thought demographics were going to guarantee permanent Democrat Party dominance?  They're not even replacing themselves!

between their embracing of the homosexual lifestyle and it's dead end to procreating and now this declaration not to have kids the democrat party should disappear into the dustbin of history in short order, and I'm ok with that.  Planned obsolescence...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member milestogo (6,965 posts)

She doesn't think we are going to be able to save the planet.

Wow, just wow.

:rotf:

Star Member yardwork (49,991 posts)

1. Both my twenty-something kids feel the same way.

Star Member C_U_L8R (32,662 posts)

2. I've heard that too.

Not just climate change. There's not a lot of hope for the future out there. We really messed up.

Bummfuzzle (17 posts)

6. I am around that age a lot and every one has made this comment.

Star Member Duppers (17,950 posts)

28. My 32yo son will remain childless.

He and his g.f. are well-read, well-educated, and know what's coming. (They've 5 degrees between the two of them.)

:loser:

Star Member safeinOhio (17,735 posts)

7. I decided not to when I was 11

So far so good and I’m now 70.

:whatever:

Star Member Takket (10,513 posts)

12. My daughter is 24 and has zero interest in kids

Maybe it will change as she gets older but right now she is struggling to make ends meet (we help as much as we can) while her boyfriend (husband someday I think) is in a training program.

But besides the economics she is just disgusted with the world and it gets worse every day under drumpf. I don’t blame anyone for not wanting kids these days.

Ahpook (1,816 posts)

69. I've mostly felt the same way

In my 20's I didn't want children. I married in my 30's to a beautiful wife who had two children. I had my same feelings but went with it because of falling head over heels in love. Ended up being a great experience as the children treated me as if I was their dad.

It felt wonderful that we became so close. My wife passed away a few years ago, but her children and I still have a great relationship.

Not sure what my point is  But you just never know where life will take you!

:rotf:

Evolve Dammit (1,272 posts)

34. This is not new. Many have been thinking for a long time that this is unsustainable. We cannot in

good conscience, have children. Last 30 years or so. Seeing many families with more than 2-3? I'm not. And I know many parents with no children.

Star Member catbyte (16,185 posts)

42. I made the same decision back in the 70s & 80s for the same reason. I had no faith that humanity

would do the right thing. I thought if climate change didn't get us, overpopulation would. I really hoped I was wrong but sadly I wasn't. I'm going to be 65 in June and I've never regretted my decision. Our arrogance will be the death of us and so many other species on the planet. I'll be gone before the shit really hits the fan, but I see my 5-year-old & 8-year-old god-grandchildren and my heart aches for them. I so hope that we wake up before it all goes to hell but I just don't see it.

Star Member MineralMan (126,781 posts)

53. I decided the same in 1965.

Glad I did, too.

Star Member BigmanPigman (31,398 posts)

55. Smart decision.

I made that decision a long time ago but for different reasons. If I had to do it again I would add Climate Change to the list. The birth rate is going down in the US for the first time since 1900 and it is because people are finally thinking, wow, imagine that?!? The young adults are smarter than we give them credit for.

Star Member cagefreesoylentgreen (597 posts)

57. Happily Childfree

I decided I hated children and didn’t want any when I was in junior high and was bullied to the point of suicide by my peers. If children were as evil as them, I wanted no part of it.

Thirty years later, my attitude towards kids has softened and I like hearing my coworkers talk about their kids to me. I adore my nephew, who lives several states away. I just don’t care to bring one home with me permanently.

But junior high is also where I first heard about global warming (mid-80s), and that helped further solidify my decision not to have any of my own.

I do worry about my 8 year old nephew. He’s very interested in space and science, and wants to be an astronaut. Over Christmas I talked to him how hard he’ll have to work towards that goal, and maybe I went a little overboard in making him promise he’ll get to Mars someday. He’s still innocent enough to just see that as a grand adventure rather than as survival, but I think that’ll change as he gets older.

Star Member Marthe48 (4,210 posts)

62. My daughter and I were talking about choices

I told her that her Dad and I decided to observe "Zero Population Growth" which was a movement in the early 1970s. She and her husband opted not to have kids, for several reasons, one of which was planetary changes. I mentioned a program about life after humans, which I haven't watched, but heard about. She hadn't heard of it, so I googled it and came across something called Voluntary Human Extinction Movement, where we stop reproducing to phase the human race out to save the planet. She said, "I guess I'm part of a movement."

The trouble is, the people who might be better parents, at least in awareness of impact, won't have kids, and people who don't give a ff about the planet won't stop, and won't raise their kids' awareness.

I participated in the 1st Earth Day, and we observed it by planting trees or a garden almost every year. Our kids recycle, limit consumption and our daughter with kids is passing her habits along to her kids. I'm proud of them.

I don't blame the 20 something for opting out of parenthood. It is always scary to have kids, but seems worse lately.

Andy Canuck (241 posts)

67. Both my 20 somethings

have told me they are not having kids because of climate change. And I understand where they are coming from. It seems to be a wise decision given the prospect for the future.

less Dumpmonkiez is a good thing.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Star Member MineralMan (126,781 posts)

Glad I did, too.

You decided?  Likely your celibacy was forced upon you by a distinct lack of people willing to have sex with your disgusting self.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
The climate change hoax might just work out for us critical thinkers on the conservative side.  If libs stop having kids, their f*cked up ideology will hopefully die with them.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Quote from:
MineralMan

Glad I did, too.

Many are glad for this.

Quote from:
BigmanPigman

55. Smart decision.

I made that decision a long time ago but for different reasons.

Your reasons are irrelevant. The key is that you're an idiot and you didn't reproduce. That goes for all libs who didn't polute the planet with your seed. Thanks!

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
DUmbasses and their spawn not reproducing is like adding bleach to the human gene pool to clean out the gunk.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline DUmpsterDiver

>Star Member milestogo (6,965 posts) Today a twenty-something told me that she doesn't plan to have children because of climate change.

Yeah, her girlfriend is lacking the aching seed to make it happen.  She sounds too unstable to offer a dose of reality with her hate of good men. 

Many poets have covered this type of insanity long before her idiocy.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

A convenient excuse for a completely self-absorbed, self-indulgent lifestyle.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Old n Grumpy

They don't need to procreate, the dead vote democrat forever and the constant unregulated flow of illegals insures their majority.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
They don't need to procreate, the dead vote democrat forever and the constant unregulated flow of illegals insures their majority.
This...and the lefts push to lower the voting age to 16.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke