Author Topic: Iceland's senior minister resigns  (Read 766 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Iceland's senior minister resigns
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:11:36 AM »
I had to truncate the headline.  But, the first domino fell--and in Iceland, of all places.

Iceland's senior minister resigns as government becomes first global political casualty of the credit crunch

By Graham Smith
Last updated at 12:25 PM on 25th January 2009

Iceland's Minister of Commerce Bjorgvin Sigurdsson has resigned, two days after the prime minister announced his own departure due to pressures from the island nation's economic collapse.

Mr Sigurdsson, a member of Iceland's junior Social Democrat coalition party, made the announcment at a news conference this morning.

'I have decided to do this to take responsibility,' he said.

Prime Minister Geir Haarde shocked the country on Friday when he said he would not seek re-election and called for a general election on May 9.

The government of Iceland became the first in the world to be effectively brought down by the credit crunch.

The next paragraph is a telling one--because the Icelanders have been peaceful people.  Thing is, you have to go to the link to read it . . .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1126682/Icelands-senior-minister-resigns-government-global-political-casualty-credit-crunch.html
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.