Author Topic: primitives discuss ham  (Read 488 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss ham
« on: January 13, 2019, 01:49:25 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/115777641

Ten years ago, who would've thought that Skins's island would go so far downhill that one would be compelled to use their recipes, rather than their politics, for purposes of comedy and amusement?

sic transit Gloria mundi, one supposes.

blur256 (733 posts)     Sun Jan 13, 2019, 12:08 PM

Looking for a really good ham recipe

I promised wifey i would make one for Sunday dinner but I have never made one before! I found a mock honey baked ham recipe but am open to other suggestions. We are going to have twice baked potatoes and asparagus to go with if that helps. Thanks!

flotsam (1,417 posts)     Sun Jan 13, 2019, 01:02 PM

4. Okay-first ham?

Hams come both ready to cook and ready to serve (precooked). With ready to serve you only worry about warming the ham and any glazes or spices (whole cloves are good)or pineapple slices etc....You would just be making minor adjustments to taste and working on the appearance because presentation is vital. And that's a nice safety net for a first ham. And oh yeah-you want the butt not the shank if it is not a whole ham. Have fun.

Kali (45,345 posts)      Sun Jan 13, 2019, 01:43 PM

6. start with a decent ham and don't worry about recipes

whole or half ham on the bone NOT pre-sliced, follow instructions that come with ham - most are precooked and just require warming. usually goes by weight but a thermometer for meat is a good investment. I like to warm low and slow covered with foil, keeps it nice and moist though it might not slice quite as nice as a drier version.

personally I don't care for glazes and such good ham doesn't need it. the old standby is to score the fat and lay on canned pineapple slices (and cherries) with brown sugar. other options are mustard and honey, maple syrup, orange marmalade...tons of possibilities

^^^at one time the meowmeow dudette on DU Jr., one of the leaders of the snobbish elitist lorgnette-and-pearls crowd.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:54:33 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Old n Grumpy

Re: primitives discuss ham
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 02:48:06 PM »
First, you start with a big block of Tofu.........

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!