Author Topic: I'm predicting a republican win in November...  (Read 1944 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
I'm predicting a republican win in November...
« on: March 12, 2008, 03:18:14 PM »
sfam (1000+ posts)      Wed Mar-12-08 03:58 PM
Original message
It seems pretty clear that what's left of the democratic brand name after this "contest" won't be worth much. It's fairly amazing how we can turn a sure thing into an abomination. Yes, I think we can all agree now that the democratic party primary rules are as hoaky and idiotic as a party can possibly devise. Yet even with this, I think we would have had to work overtime to destroy our advantage.

Lucky for us, that's exactly what's happening. By looking at the math, its near impossible to come up with a scenario where Obama (who has already won the majority of the states) doesn't lead in the overall pledged delegate votes, and almost as impossible to come up with a scenario where he doesn't win the popular vote. With this in mind, if Hillary is somehow able to convince the Supes to support her, Obama's supporters will rebel in the streets stating the election was stolen, making Hillary's nomination moot. Likewise, although Obama is most assuredly going to sail slowly to the nomination, the Clinton campaign is tarnishing him as a candidate, and more importantly, turning off her supporters from even considering Obama. His and the democratic party's overall negatives are going up. We now have a situation where many Hillary supporters feel the election is "owed" to Hillary, and that the only reason Obama is winning is because the country is filled with misogynist pigs who will even vote for an unexperienced minority hire over her. The independents are hearing that Obama is viewed as unqualified for Commander in Chief by a large segment of the democratic party. And we still have many more months of this crap to go.

In other words, we're pretty much ****ed whoever comes out of the contest now. This means that the only way either of the candidates win is by sliming and smearing McCain into the mud. In the end, at best, all we'll be left with is a country more divided and pessimistic than we are today.

Considering Obama most like wins the primary after being bruised and battered, I don't see him sliming McCain to the degree he'll need to in order to capture the independents. If McCain then goes and picks a woman VP, the contest is over. Hence my prediction.

Better luck in 2012 I guess...

Managing expectations already?

Offline Lord Undies

Re: I'm predicting a republican win in November...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 03:24:17 PM »
In other words, we're pretty much ****ed whoever comes out of the contest now.

Truth is a thing of beauty....and so rare at DUmp Island.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 04:00:28 PM »
Whoever came up with the whole "Superdelegate" thing, thank you!

:popcorn:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »

Wiki (insofar as it can be trusted) says this.
After the 1968 Democratic National Convention, the Democratic Party made changes in its delegate selection process, based on the work of the McGovern-Fraser Commission. The purpose of the changes was to make the composition of the convention less subject to control by party leaders and more responsive to the votes cast during the campaign for the nomination.

But some Democrats believed that these changes had unduly diminished the role of party leaders and elected officials, weakening the Democratic tickets of George McGovern and Jimmy Carter. In 1982, a commission chaired by former North Carolina Governor Jim Hunt created superdelegates. Under the original Hunt plan, superdelegates were 30% of all delegates, but when it was finally implemented in 1984, they were 14%. The number has steadily increased, and today they are approximately 20%. [5]

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 04:16:37 PM »

I wish I could do the same. However, I'm only willing to predict a McCain win at this juncture.  :(
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 04:25:50 PM »

Bob Beckel is the one you can thank.  I've heard him say he regrets it.   :-)  I believe he said they did it to prevent Ted Kennedy from getting the nomination.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 04:26:40 PM »

I wish I could do the same. However, I'm only willing to predict a McCain win at this juncture.  :(
:rotf:
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »

Bob Beckel is the one you can thank.  I've heard him say he regrets it.   :-)  I believe he said they did it to prevent Ted Kennedy from getting the nomination.

Considering what Fat Teddy would have brought to the table, or the White House, I thank Mr. Beckel, too! :naughty: :evillaugh:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline jukin

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 05:33:51 PM »
If Teddy had only driven a VolksWagen Bug.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.