Author Topic: Oscar Wilde not a happy camper  (Read 1107 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Oscar Wilde not a happy camper
« on: March 11, 2008, 06:40:34 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2993562

Oh my.

This is a brand-new bonfire, hot off the press, no time for anyone on Skins's island to react yet.

Cyrano (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-11-08 07:35 PM
Original message

An open letter to Skinner regarding lock downs.

Dear Sir:

Over the past week, I have been locked down two or three times by a moderator. None of my posts that were locked were disrespectful, or flame bait (although my most recent one was shut down because the moderator decided it was flame bait after over 100 responses). I would ask you to look at it and decide for yourself whether it was a serious, (if not factual) post.

As for my previous lock downs, I have no idea why they were treated in such a manner. There was nothing in them that could have been considered in the least controversial.

I have been on DU for over four years, and with the exception of one or two hurled insults, I have played by the rules and tried to make intelligent comments rather than just filling up space with juvenile tantrums or replies.

I know (assume) that your moderators make their own decisions as to what to lock down. And I know there's far too much for you, as a single individual, to monitor.

I would have made this a private message had I not seen other threads locked down for some unknown reason. (And I'm not speaking about the GD-primary thread which is a sewer of bile.)

At the moment, I am an unhappy camper, (but I suppose that this is to be expected during primary season.) Nonetheless, I would respectfully request that you ask you moderators to be a bit slower on the trigger before shooting down a reasonable post.

Respectfully,

Cyrano

I don't think it was a good idea for the large-proboscised primitive to jab his nose at my fellow alum.

We'll see.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Oscar Wilde not a happy camper
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:58:50 PM »
Is Cyrano becoming a special case study for you frank?

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:13:54 PM »
Is Cyrano becoming a special case study for you frank?

Sort of.

Oscar Wilde ticked me off when he deprived his cat of toilet facilities, and then got angry when the cat did a no-no on him.

Actually, there's several "special case studies" going on--as usual, Doug's ex-wife and the Bostonian Drunkard, but it would be unfair to name the others.

One of them since December has been undergoing counseling--whether by a psychiatrist or psychologist or mental health counselor or yoga instructor or meditation guru or Buddhist monk, however, is unknown--for "treatment" of his paranoia, and hasn't been on Skins's island, although he's lurked in here.

I decided to lay off of Pedro Picasso for a while, in the interests of his mental stability.

The legendary herb primitive proved a disappointment, and has since been demoted from first-tier primitive to one of the unterprimitiven, the lynch mob.

I'm not sure what to do about the ThomWV primitive; for the longest time, apparently--please notice the all-important "apparently"--I had him mixed up with a known associate of the psychotic primitive, the "psychic" Joan Alpern, and the maharani primitive, lionesspryanka, but apparently that was a different tom primitive, not the Civil War "historian" primitive with the big gas-guzzling pick-up truck pulling a Vanderbilt-class yacht on the trailer behind, as he goes from recreational area to recreational area in West Virginia, constantly whining about high diesel prices.

Confused identity, but that's what happens when the primitives, for lack of imagination and creativity, ape others' screen-names.

It's commonly assumed that the lying titty primitive is the biggest liar on Skins's island, but I haven't found that the case.  The lying titty primitive is so loud, so brash, so extravagant, in his lies that it's obvious they're lies.  I think Ms. Ed, the unappellated eohippus, and the burdened primitive, are actually the biggest liars on Skins's island, and so have been paying a little closer attention.

Ms. Ed and the burdened primitive keep on changing their life-stories over time, and it's subtle enough that most don't catch the discrepancies.  To me, that means they're worst liars than the lying titty primitive, because it's usually undetected.

Oscar Wilde's sort of okay as a "special case study," but really, I'd just as soon Pedro Picasso hurry up and get well, and come back to Skins's island.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:35:18 PM »
Oh my.

Oscar Wilde got his embroidered lace cuffs cut off.

But first, the comments of other primitives at this bonfire:

FARAFIELD (842 posts)      Tue Mar-11-08 07:39 PM
Response to Original message

1. similar complaint

Last night I inguired about something my sisters asked me about Irish Slavery, she is married to a right winger and what she said was so off the wall, I wanted to know if there was a IRISH SLAVERY email going around and it got marked as FLAMED, what the hell. The last time that happened i was bounced (when i called a person who stole music (and admitted it) a thief). I dont get the rules, its like they dont read the posts or something. FLAME bait would be someone in a post having a headline OBAMA an asshole, or THE Reasons Hillary is full of shit. Now thats flame. TOtally out of control around here Ill be glad when we have our Nominee (hopfully Obama, but Hillary will do----

FSogol  (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-11-08 07:57 PM

2. Why take it personally? The thread probably went into other directions and was locked because of other people's comments/responses.

NightWatcher  (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-11-08 08:01 PM
Response to Reply #2

4. yep, once I post a thread they oft take a spin of their own based on the fights that others have

I've begged the mods to have some of my own threads closed after the fighting has gone too far.

Once you hit "post message" you have no control over where it goes.

chimpsrsmarter  (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-11-08 07:59 PM

3. is this about the erection thread?

Cyrano (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-11-08 08:08 PM
Response to Reply #3

6. Yep.

flvegan  (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-11-08 08:02 PM

5. Yeah, doing this publicly will be lock down 3 or 4 for you. 

Your "erection" thread was nothing short of flamebait.

Cyrano (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-11-08 08:14 PM
Response to Reply #5

7. Sorry, but I must disagree with you. However it was read, my intent was to post what I consider to be "factual."

Why in the world would anyone consider a discussion on this topic to be flame bait?

If you think I'm a bit thick on this subject, perhaps you could explain it to me.

chimpsrsmarter  (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-11-08 08:17 PM
Response to Reply #7

8. i think your post was common knowledge, kind of like shrinkage, we all know about that and there's nothing you can do about it. It's not about getting an erection, it's lack of judgement and impulse control.

Cyrano (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-11-08 08:21 PM
Response to Reply #8

9. Drop it. This is a different thread.

Gormy Cuss (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-11-08 09:03 PM
Response to Reply #9

12. No, this thread is about the earlier one -- you acknowledged that yourself in post 6.

That also means that this thread is going to get locked soon.

flvegan  (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-11-08 08:44 PM
Response to Reply #7

10. Thick on which subject, your ongoing locking problems or on not understanding why your erection thread was flamebait?

tkmorris (1000+ posts)      Tue Mar-11-08 08:56 PM

11. I fail to see the point in doing this publicly

But have at it. I'll just watch the show.

And then the scissors come out:

maddezmom   (1000+ posts)       Tue Mar-11-08 09:14 PM

13. locking

If you have a question about DU policies, or if you have a concern about an action a moderator has taken, please contact an admin privately.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 08:54:59 PM »
 :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: