Author Topic: Obama repeatedly plagiarizes  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Obama repeatedly plagiarizes
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:46:23 AM »
LadyVT  (165 posts) Thu Feb-07-08 10:34 PM
Original message
Obama repeatedly plagiarizes

He should know better as a University lecturer--you can lose your job over that! Besides, of course, it's illegal...

An example: "We are the Ones We've Been Waiting For" is not Barack's phrase. It's a quote from The Elders Oraibi of the Arizona Hopi Nation. You can buy a card with that quote on it (and who really said it, of course) on a postcard in Santa Fe, NM. Does Obama acknowledge the authors in his speech? ("As the Elders of the Hopi Nation said...") No. Never. He appropriates their wisdom, as if he came up with the words of Wise Elders himself! And then there's "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." That, of course, was spoken by Albert Einstein. Has Obama ever credited him? No. Never. Does Obama so grandiose as to feel he is entitled to appropriate the words of the wisest individuals in history, and present those words as if they were his own?

Just two examples. Next time he gives a speech, there will be more. Check them out.

Linky

wow.  165 posts, and she blasphemes?

cali  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Feb-08-08 06:05 AM
Response to Original message
62. bwaahahaha. What kind of ****ing idiot

doesn't even know what constitutes plagiarism?

Pathetic and stupid and desperate sums up this OP nicely.

"Pathetic and stupid and desperate" is whatever conflicts with my cherished silly notions.

jimbot  (125 posts) Fri Feb-08-08 12:16 AM
Response to Reply #33
51. You seem to not understand.

Edited on Fri Feb-08-08 12:17 AM by jimbot
First off, as a university professor, you should know that plagiarism is not illegal...copyright infrigement is.
Second, the label plagiarism is usually applied to term and research papers, academic work, and journalism but NOT political speech.

If you were to apply the rules of plagiarism, all politicians would be equally as guilty in that they:
1. did not write their own speeches (they all have speechwriters).
2. did not give proper attribution to their speechwriters.

sounds suspiciously like, "it depends on what the definition of 'is' is".

Offline ReardenSteel

Re: Obama repeatedly plagiarizes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 09:55:39 AM »
Oh boy. What a typical DUmmie topic.  :yawn: :yawn:

Who's this Obama accuser like... Clinton? She's been plagiarizing Marx for years.  :whatever:
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 10:00:12 AM »
Oh boy. What a typical DUmmie topic.  :yawn: :yawn:

Who's this Obama accuser like... Clinton? She's been plagiarizing Marx for years.  :whatever:

notwithstanding the comparison to hillary (which I don't find particularly relevant) I actually agree with the OP, and have said so here at CC.  the point us that obama's speeches are all poetry, and utterly devoid of any actual substance.  well, it turns out the poetry isn't even his.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 10:03:45 AM »
As the inimitible Bette Davis once said, "What a DUmp!"*

(*Dialog from the motion picture "Beyond the Forest" (1949) - screenplay by Lenore J. Coffee based on a novel by Stuart Engstrand)

I didn't want to plagiarize
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 10:14:02 AM by Lord Undies »

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 10:04:28 AM »
As the inimitible Bette Davis once said, "What a DUmp!"*

(*Dialog from the motion picture "Beyond the Forest" (1949) - screenplay by Lenore J. Coffee based on a novel by Stuart Engstrand)

I can't freaking read this!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 10:05:23 AM »
I think I need new glasses :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:06:54 AM »

the font thingy must be broken.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 10:07:04 AM »
Obama's been plagiarizing his speeches for a while now. Not only stealing shit from other speechgivers, priests, and local culture, but from what I heard the Silky Pony too. His "I've been in Washington long enough to know what Washington needs to change." Edwards said the same thing in 2004.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 10:08:39 AM »

the font thingy must be broken.

Oh, nevermind, I just pushed my glasses up off the end of my nose. Now I can see fine. :-) :-)

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 10:08:53 AM »
Obama's been plagiarizing his speeches for a while now. Not only stealing shit from other speechgivers, priests, and local culture, but from what I heard the Silky Pony too. His "I've been in Washington long enough to know what Washington needs to change." Edwards said the same thing in 2004.

I always suspected that The BarackStar! was extremely articulate, but devoid of any actual substance.  perhaps I am merely looking for evidence to support my suspicions, but I seem to be finding it.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 10:34:49 AM »
It's really not all that unique a turn of phrase.  Cute, but not unique.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 10:41:50 AM »

I wasn't necessarily over worried about the particular phrase.  the larger point is that his poems that are masquerading as political speeches may not even be his poetry.  and an even larger point is that he is finally drawing a critical eye from various regions of the MSM.  this seems relevant to me because I was never really sure how he would hold up to very much scrutiny . . . that is, if scrutiny ever managed to get to him.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 12:52:26 PM »

I wasn't necessarily over worried about the particular phrase.  the larger point is that his poems that are masquerading as political speeches may not even be his poetry.  and an even larger point is that he is finally drawing a critical eye from various regions of the MSM.  this seems relevant to me because I was never really sure how he would hold up to very much scrutiny . . . that is, if scrutiny ever managed to get to him.

He's going to get a pass on anything short of cannibalism, you may as well just accept it.  Nothing short of Hitler coming back to life and endorsing him is going to slow down the MSM desire to put a positive spin on everything touched by Saint Barack.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 01:03:57 PM »
All this just proves what I've always believed. Democrats are completely incapable of original thought.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 01:12:48 PM »
Here's what scares me about Barackstar (well one of the things!)

Obama supporter Kathleen Geier writes that she's "getting increasingly weirded out by some of Obama's supporters. On listservs I'm on, some people who should know better – hard-bitten, not-so-young cynics, even – are gushing about Barack…

Describing various encounters with Obama supporters, she writes, "Excuse me, but this sounds more like a cult than a political campaign. The language used here is the language of evangelical Christianity – the Obama volunteers speak of 'coming to Obama' in the same way born-again Christians talk about 'coming to Jesus.'...So I say, we should all get a grip, stop all this unseemly mooning over Barack, see him and the political landscape he is a part of in a cooler, clearer, and more realistic light, and get to work."

Joe Klein, writing at Time, notes "something just a wee bit creepy about the mass messianism" he sees in Obama's Super Tuesday speech.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for," Obama said. "This time can be different because this campaign for the presidency of the United States of America is different. It's different not because of me. It's different because of you."

Says Klein: "That is not just maddeningly vague but also disingenuous: the campaign is entirely about Obama and his ability to inspire. Rather than focusing on any specific issue or cause — other than an amorphous desire for change — the message is becoming dangerously self-referential. The Obama campaign all too often is about how wonderful the Obama campaign is. “