Author Topic: I couldn't help myself.  (Read 1073 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
I couldn't help myself.
« on: November 30, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »
Went over to see what was going on at DU.  Same ole same ole everywhere.  Then I stumbled across this gem, all by it's little lonesome self.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x9565468

Yavin4  (1000+ posts)        Tue Nov-30-10 01:26 PM
Original message
Tom Cruise Sits on the Tallest Building in the World

"The Burj Khalifa in Dubai is the tallest man-made structure ever built -- standing at 2,717 feet high -- and Tom Cruise had no problem being perched on top of the building while shooting some 'Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol' footage. The 48-year-old actor had to take three elevators and climb over 443 feet of ladder to reach the top of the massive building. This picture comes after a video turned up recently of Cruise -- who prefers to do his own stunts -- hopping off the building like a flea on a string and scaling the side of it."

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/11/19/tom-cruise-worlds-...

He can reach out and touch the face of Xenu. 

That was funny.    :lmao:   I don't care who ya are!  And Tom Cruise is a nutbag. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline true_blood

Re: I couldn't help myself.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 01:05:15 PM »
Must be a slow day for the slow minded. :-)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 01:15:04 PM »
I can barely look at that pic without my stomach turning, I have such a fear of heights.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 01:17:52 PM »
I didn't look at the picture, but I remember when the movie came out, Cruise was on some talk show, and clips of him being on top of the building were shown.

Made me dizzy.... :(

I could not get enough drugs and/or alchohol injested to get me to the top of that building. Heck, I couldn't even go up in the Arch in St Louis.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 01:40:15 PM »
I can barely look at that pic without my stomach turning, I have such a fear of heights.
You said it. I try to overcome the fear every time I hang the American flag or clean the gutters, but I'm scared out of my mind. :o

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »
My mom MADE me do stuff like that.  Been up the Statue of Liberty, World Trade Center, Washington Monument.  I get the heebie jeebies going up in an attic.  I suppose there is a part of me that is grateful now, but not so much really. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »
Being in a chopper, even rappelling out of one, or watching the ground drop away from the cargo ramp of a C130 doesn't bother me at all, and as a kid I used to dive 20 or 30 feet into rock quarries.  But I have also had periods of recurring dreams involving falls from high and precarious positions, and being exposed to the elements on the outside of a tall building is something I would cheerfully forego for the rest of my life.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 01:48:38 PM »
There were many things of course that bothered me about 9/11, but 1 of the things I couldn't get out of my head were those people hanging out the windows at the top of the towers, the terror they must've felt.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 01:56:48 PM »
The Somali kid who tried to blow up Portland thought that was "awesome" Ballygrl.  Lest that get swept under the rug. 

Yeah, the Cruise picture made me very queasy.  Seems to me he's just a slight breeze away from being a mere greasesplat on the sidewalk. 

Offline jukin

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 02:01:23 PM »
The funniest thing I've seen concerning Tom Cruise and Scientology.

http://www.zipperfish.com/zf-toons/yaafm-11-scientology/

FORGOT TO SAY NOT SAFE FOR WORK!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »
The funniest thing I've seen concerning Tom Cruise and Scientology.

http://www.zipperfish.com/zf-toons/yaafm-11-scientology/

FORGOT TO SAY NOT SAFE FOR WORK!
Scientomology

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 10:27:49 PM »
Being in a chopper, even rappelling out of one, or watching the ground drop away from the cargo ramp of a C130 doesn't bother me at all, and as a kid I used to dive 20 or 30 feet into rock quarries.  But I have also had periods of recurring dreams involving falls from high and precarious positions, and being exposed to the elements on the outside of a tall building is something I would cheerfully forego for the rest of my life.    

I have only been in a helicopter one time. Probably 22 or 23 years ago. In one of those that looks like a bug of some sort, zipping over Maui and Molaki with a former VietNam helicopter pilot. He was a crazy good pilot and the other 3 people in that little piece of plexiglass, had a great time! Going straight up along the mountainside, into clouds, only to come out of the clouds with the ground way far away!! The whole time with music blasting through the headphones - themes from Star Wars, Superman, 2001 Space Odessey, etc.

I don't know that I have ever been so terrified. An hour and a half sightseeing flight. When we finally landed, I didn't know whether to kiss the ground or finally just  :puke:.

The only way anyone will ever get me into one again, is if I am unconcious and on a stretcher... :o :o :o

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 08:47:08 AM »
I have only been in a helicopter one time. Probably 22 or 23 years ago. In one of those that looks like a bug of some sort, zipping over Maui and Molaki with a former VietNam helicopter pilot. He was a crazy good pilot and the other 3 people in that little piece of plexiglass, had a great time! Going straight up along the mountainside, into clouds, only to come out of the clouds with the ground way far away!! The whole time with music blasting through the headphones - themes from Star Wars, Superman, 2001 Space Odessey, etc.

I don't know that I have ever been so terrified. An hour and a half sightseeing flight. When we finally landed, I didn't know whether to kiss the ground or finally just  :puke:.

The only way anyone will ever get me into one again, is if I am unconcious and on a stretcher... :o :o :o

A night assault landing in a Blackhawk is a pretty adrenaline-promoting experience, trust me.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 08:50:45 AM »
A night assault landing in a Blackhawk is a pretty adrenaline-promoting experience, trust me.

I have seen them do it only in movies. But when you mentioned rappelling out of a helicopter, it reminded me of being in one.

Slide down a rope, way off the ground, in from a moving object? Uh-uh...no way, no how.

But I do admire your courage. Seriously. And again my thanks that you were one who was willing to do it.  :-*

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 09:07:45 AM »
I have seen them do it only in movies. But when you mentioned rappelling out of a helicopter, it reminded me of being in one.

Slide down a rope, way off the ground, in from a moving object? Uh-uh...no way, no how.

But I do admire your courage. Seriously. And again my thanks that you were one who was willing to do it.  :-*

And the REAL men do it from planes with no rope, just a parachute.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 09:18:44 AM »

Yeah whatever.  Truth is that as far as forces other than the Rangers and SF go, every time we've done a combat drop since Korea has been a whole lot more about validating an Airborne division in the O.B. rather than about actually accomplishing anything especially useful that the Rangers couldn't have handled alone.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 09:39:39 AM »

you know that phrase....why would anyone want to volunteer to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?   :o

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 09:54:33 AM »
The only real good reason is if the plane suddenly and unexpectedly stops being "perfectly good."  The Air Force is actually right about that one.   :-)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 11:14:30 AM »
The only real good reason is if the plane suddenly and unexpectedly stops being "perfectly good."  The Air Force is actually right about that one.   :-)

ouch.

:wink:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 11:15:47 AM »
Why do people jump out of perfectly good airplanes?  Same reason men get on boats deliberately designed to sink.

More money.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 11:39:49 AM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFxFwdmJ1OI[/youtube]

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline true_blood

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 12:34:31 PM »
I can only imagine.