Author Topic: Fish stew help.  (Read 3735 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Fish stew help.
« on: November 15, 2010, 08:05:34 PM »
BF's birthday is 12/1.  Mine is 12/24.  We don't do gifts, but just a token, and cook a fabulous meal for each other. 

This year is super special, as it has been a very difficult year for both of us and he turns 40.  (Yeah, I got a young-un   :naughty:)  At any rate, I have shrimp and cod in the freezer, and thought I could make a tomato-based fish stew.  I can pick up some scallops, or mussels, or clams, but everything else I have.  He loves Manhattan Style Chowder, I am more of a New England Chowder kind of girl.  Found lots of recipes on the innernets, but would rather cook something someone else has made, that has a good stamp of approval.

Thoughts?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Fish stew help.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 09:03:31 PM »
Why not make some Jambalaya or Shrimp Creole??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »
Why not make some Jambalaya or Shrimp Creole??

That is normal everyday food.  I need something un-everyday. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:25:38 PM »
Bisque?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:34:56 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of Ciappino, or a Portuguese tomato-based soup.  Like I said, I can find recipes, that look good.  I was just wondering if anyone had a good one, that they had made before.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:40:52 PM »
I've had conch and shrimp soup that was good, but it doesn't look as thick as Cioppino. 

Olive Oil - 2 Tbsp
Conch meat or lobster, chopped - 1 pound
Garlic - 2 Tbsp
Onions, diced ½" - 1 ½ cups
Celery, diced ½" - ½ cup
Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
Chicken Broth - 1 quart
Thyme, fresh - 2 tsp
Oregano, fresh - 1 tsp
Carrots, diced ½" - ½ cup
Clam juice - 2 cups
Potatoes, diced 1 - ½ cups
Tomatoes, diced 1 - ½ cups
Salt and Pepper to taste

PREPARATION:
Place the oil in a pot and heat until very hot.  Add the conch meat and sear for 1 to 2 minutes.  Add the garlic, onions, celery, carrots, and potatoes and sauté for 2 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients, mix well and bring to a boil. Simmer until the potatoes are tender. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 10:03:41 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of Ciappino, or a Portuguese tomato-based soup.  Like I said, I can find recipes, that look good.  I was just wondering if anyone had a good one, that they had made before.

Sounds like something right up Emril's alley. I'd check his shows.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 10:04:45 AM »
I've had conch and shrimp soup that was good, but it doesn't look as thick as Cioppino. 

Olive Oil - 2 Tbsp
Conch meat or lobster, chopped - 1 pound
Garlic - 2 Tbsp
Onions, diced ½" - 1 ½ cups
Celery, diced ½" - ½ cup
Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
Chicken Broth - 1 quart
Thyme, fresh - 2 tsp
Oregano, fresh - 1 tsp
Carrots, diced ½" - ½ cup
Clam juice - 2 cups
Potatoes, diced 1 - ½ cups
Tomatoes, diced 1 - ½ cups
Salt and Pepper to taste

PREPARATION:
Place the oil in a pot and heat until very hot.  Add the conch meat and sear for 1 to 2 minutes.  Add the garlic, onions, celery, carrots, and potatoes and sauté for 2 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients, mix well and bring to a boil. Simmer until the potatoes are tender. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.

Dang Chris.  I don't know why I didn't see this earlier.  That looks good!

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »
Sounds like something right up Emril's alley. I'd check his shows.

Yep, that's what I was thinking as well.