Author Topic: Just how liberal is Austin, TX  (Read 7380 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Just how liberal is Austin, TX
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 08:06:23 PM »
Taxes in Texas are high all over the place. 2+% property taxes, some places over 3%. They try to offset that raping by saying that Texas has no personal state income tax. However, if one owns a business, they get raped even more. Then, if one serves alcoholic beverages, the "sin tax" is almost outrageous at 14%. Yes, that's passed on to the customers, folks. Texas is not the great state I once knew and loved. The people are outright jerks here any more. I suppose that's because of the influx of damned Yankees. Ohhhh, and if you think that North Minneapolis is a bad area, Texas has a significant number of those areas. I inadvertently found one in Austin last summer. If you get out in rural Texas, it's a lot better than the metro areas. Seems that most of the REAL Texans have moved to the rural areas.

You must be coming to Dallas frequently.   :thatsright:

The good un's are still here, trying to figure out how to move to the rural areas. 

Don't get me started on the sin taxes. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 09:15:54 PM »
Lakeway is now kind of ritzy; not all of it but most of it.  Was the Oasis there then?  That's an experience.  Food's terrible but the view is awesome. 

It was "ritzy" then too.  Our house was four bedrooms/three baths/gourmet kitchen with Jenn-air grill/two-story rock fireplace in the living room/game room with a bar....all built on two levels on the side of a hill overlooking the lake....just a great place to be back then.  No Oasis, tho.

Offline bkg

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 10:14:07 PM »
Taxes in Texas are high all over the place. 2+% property taxes, some places over 3%. They try to offset that raping by saying that Texas has no personal state income tax. However, if one owns a business, they get raped even more. Then, if one serves alcoholic beverages, the "sin tax" is almost outrageous at 14%. Yes, that's passed on to the customers, folks. Texas is not the great state I once knew and loved. The people are outright jerks here any more. I suppose that's because of the influx of damned Yankees. Ohhhh, and if you think that North Minneapolis is a bad area, Texas has a significant number of those areas. I inadvertently found one in Austin last summer. If you get out in rural Texas, it's a lot better than the metro areas. Seems that most of the REAL Texans have moved to the rural areas.

I'd live in a rural area, if this pipe-dream comes true.

As for taxes - two points. MN is closing in on 2%, but we also have up to 9.4% income tax. I'll take high property taxes ANY DAY... at least it's tax deductable. Also, TX gets to deduct their spend on sales... we can't. I'll take TX taxes ANY day.  :cheersmate: