Author Topic: We sold our house....  (Read 3717 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: We sold our house....
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 10:16:08 AM »
I hear you BEG.

When we sold someone asked for the washer and dryer, the refrigerator, the drapes, a little wooden bathroom shelf I decorated even patio furniture.

Wanted us to GIVE it to them.  No. 

Good luck to you and your family.  Don't let the moonbats infect you.   :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 07:10:57 PM »
So...we had our first day of house hunting. Today it was looking close to Kevin's work. Friggen depressing.  We did find a couple places I MIGHT live but I would have to give up my quilting machine.  We were looking in the Redondo Beach area (Golden Hills) and Torrence area mainly. We looked at some POS places in el segundo and manhattan beach.  It looks like kevin will be commuting.  :p

Congrats! Maybe we can visit when SLW and I are out there in August!  :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 10:02:14 AM »
So...we had our first day of house hunting. Today it was looking close to Kevin's work. Friggen depressing.  We did find a couple places I MIGHT live but I would have to give up my quilting machine.  We were looking in the Redondo Beach area (Golden Hills) and Torrence area mainly. We looked at some POS places in el segundo and manhattan beach.  It looks like kevin will be commuting:p

Unfortunately, it goes with the territory. The farther out you can get, the better the prices.....relatively speaking....
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 01:15:04 PM »
I don't think the sale is going to go through.  These people are pissing me off.  They were suppose to sign their final offer on friday and then I get a call on sunday (we were in CA looking at houses) and my realtor tells me that the appraisal didn't appraise high enough.  Oddly enough (sarcasm) their appraisal came in at around their first offer.  I didn't even know they had the house appraised.  They hadn't signed the offer yet and they had our house appraised?!?  So I'm talking to our realtor in CA and she tells me that either we need to be home or our realtor needs to be here when the appraiser is at the house.  She told me something fishy is going on that a buyer doesn't order an appraisal BEFORE they sign an offer.

I get home and ask my son how many people viewed the house while we were gone, he tells me 4.  I find the business card on the counter from the appraiser and I listen to the messages left on the answering machine.  The company that arranges the viewings left a message saying that a realtor (with the same name as the appraiser) was going to show my house on saturday.  The appraiser came to my house by herself.  She has no idea of the upgrades (except for the obvious pool, etc) in this house.  My realtor said that we have no idea if this appraiser is friends with the buyer or realtor or what and that we can't trust the appraisal.  For all we know they wanted this appraisal to be low so they could use it as a tool to go back to their first offer.  They tried to offer a little over their appraisers value but we declined and said we were holding firm to the final agreed upon price.  We haven't heard a response (this was yesterday) and I'm fairly certain they aren't going to go for it. 

Meanwhile we had two appraisers out for the relo and they are not within 5% of each other in price so we have to have a third (he is coming out tomorrow).  Once I know what the company will pay for our house I will adjust the price.  I know it is priced too high.  When the realtor asked me what I thought we should list the house I came in 20 grand lower than what she thought we should list the house for.  I am a little upset with her because she talked me in to listing it higher and we lost two weeks of possibly a larger buying pool by having it listed 20 grand higher than I think we can get in this market.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure these people aren't going to buy our house.  I found out through our realtor that they were looking at a new build across the interstate as well.  She told me what the name of the builder is, it is not as good of a builder (read cheaper builder) as our house.  I know this because it is the same builder we had with our house before this one.  I think these people were stretching it by buying our house and weren't comfortable with the final price they agreed to and probably felt over extended. 

In the end it doesn't matter really.  The company will buy our house if we don't sell it in 60 days and we will probably get more than what we were going to get from our agreed upon price with the stupid buyers (minute the bonus for selling it ourselves). 

For those of you from CA who are interested in the areas we are looking at, I will tell you of a few areas.  Fullerton is my first choice.  I love the older neighborhoods, there are some beautiful old houses and they have great schools.  I also love their "down town" area.  It feels like a small town.  There is also Fullerton college and a Jr. college there as well (I'm thinking of our 15 year old when she is ready for college).  We also liked some areas in Brea (also good schools).  We liked Huntington Beach and Los Alamitos has some good areas (and good schools as well).

I am use to new houses, it is all we have ever bought.  When we lived in Lake Havasu we even rented brand new houses (two of them).  The first "used" house we ever lived in was the house we rented in Carrollton when we first moved to Texas.  So I haven't viewed too many houses while house hunting that people had lived in before.  Let me just say that people live like friggen PIGS.  I can't believe the way some people live let alone the way they show their house.  I was shocked that people were asking $900k for a house that I wouldn't sit down in let alone live in.  We will most likely have to sacrifice size to be able to afford the type of house we want.  With sacrificing size I will have to have my quilting machine in the garage.

I will show you two front runners in our house quest.  The first one was built in 1988.  It is on a rather high hill in Brea.  It's on a cul-de-sac  with a greenbelt across the street and no one behind.  We would have to get rid of a lot of furniture as a lot of stuff is built in's in this house.  I would have to get rid of my kitchen table for sure as well as our bedroom furniture and my oldest daughters bedroom furniture.  I don't really mind the bedroom furniture but I don't like the idea of getting rid of my kitchen table.  This owner of this house has to be taking a loss because the upgrades in this house is unbelievable.  The garage alone is practically a living room.  It is the nicest garage I have EVER seen.

*remove

The next house is my personal favorite.  It is amazing and totally different than the first.  The pictures do NOT do it justice.  It was built in 1947.  The street is wide and lined with the same HUGE trees.  It is a hilly area so it gives the neighborhood a very homey feel.  No two houses are the same.  It has a three car garage but you can fit four cars in it.  It has a garage door on the back right garage stall so K could raise both garage doors and catch a nice breeze while working on his old truck.  The couple have lived in the house for 18 years and have done of ton of upgrades/remodeling.  The husband has Lou Gehrig's Disease and is in a wheel chair.  He can't get around the house anymore.  We spoke to the two of them and it is just so sad.  He is so full of life and really seems like a wonderful man.  I almost feel guilty if we bought his house because you can tell they really love the house.  When he was remodeling the house he used natural black walnut for the interior doors & crown molding.  The kitchen cabinets are beautiful, you would really have to see them in real life because the pictures just don't do it justice.  I wish there were more pictures online because the backyard is amazing as well.  Hell the whole house is amazing. 

*removed

I'm sure by the time we go back for our buying trip that both of these houses will be gone.  I'm going to take down the pictures after awhile incase some creepy DU'er reads it and we happen to buy one of the houses.  If anyone wants to view the houses after I delete the links PM me and I will give you the links. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 02:29:36 PM by BEG »

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 01:17:39 PM »
POS or just expensive?  Yeah, 1M for a crackerbox in Manhattan Beach is depressing.  The southern and western sides of Torrance are pretty decent, and if you can afford something up in Palos Verdes you'd be likely to find what you want.

POS sparky.  This one house they wanted close to $900k (this was in El Segundo, NOT somewhere I would live) looked like a friggen kids club house.  It was disgusting. I don't think we could find anything in Palos Verdes big enough and in our price range.  If we were willing to go less than 1300 sq ft we could probably find a decent place but I refuse to live on top of each other. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 01:18:45 PM »
They wanted the TV?
Bastards!

They are double bastards now Don. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 01:24:01 PM »
I really like the first house, BEG. Little to NO lawn mowing!

Kitchen is open, countertops and cabs look great. Open, airy effect.

I guess if you have to do CA, that house might be doable.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2009, 01:28:35 PM »
I hear ya, BEG.  The beach towns are great if you are 1--in your early 20's, 2--deaf, 3--a party animal with limitless wealth.  As far as a working family goes?  Not so much.

BTW--I know exactly where the second house is located (Fullerton).  You're less than a mile from Mrs. Sparky and probably the same distance from my cousin and her family.  FWIW, I have some recommendations for restaurants in the Fullerton area.  PM me and I'll drop some names if you're interested for your next trip out.

I don't think either one of those houses are going to sell that quickly.  Hell, it took four months in 2006 to sell ours, and that's when we dropped the price twice.

And as far as your not getting your current home sold, sorry to hear about that, but cheesy realtors and finance people seem to be way too common in any economy, I guess.  And yes, whenever I put an offer on a house, I always, always, ALWAYS wrote a check for an appraisal, or stipulated it was to be taken out of the earnest money I put down.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 01:29:38 PM »

The brown carpeting would have to eventually go.  It is newer carpet and they did it on purpose...LOL.  It goes with all their furnishings but brown carpet is NOT for me. 

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 01:29:56 PM »

Problem I have with that first place is (I know the neighborhood--drove by it on way to work) is that while it's pretty hilly, there's still a lot of ambient street noise, and there's that other little nuisance of FIRES.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2009, 01:30:24 PM »
The brown carpeting would have to eventually go.  It is newer carpet and they did it on purpose...LOL.  It goes with all their furnishings but brown carpet is NOT for me. 

How new is the roof on the house in Fullerton?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2009, 01:32:32 PM »
I hear ya, BEG.  The beach towns are great if you are 1--in your early 20's, 2--deaf, 3--a party animal with limitless wealth.  As far as a working family goes?  Not so much.

BTW--I know exactly where the second house is located (Fullerton).  You're less than a mile from Mrs. Sparky and probably the same distance from my cousin and her family.  FWIW, I have some recommendations for restaurants in the Fullerton area.  PM me and I'll drop some names if you're interested for your next trip out.

I don't think either one of those houses are going to sell that quickly.  Hell, it took four months in 2006 to sell ours, and that's when we dropped the price twice.

And as far as your not getting your current home sold, sorry to hear about that, but cheesy realtors and finance people seem to be way too common in any economy, I guess.  And yes, whenever I put an offer on a house, I always, always, ALWAYS wrote a check for an appraisal, or stipulated it was to be taken out of the earnest money I put down.

They wrote in their first offer that if the house doesn't appraise for the sell amount that they could back out so they were covered in any event.  Have you ever heard of someone getting an appraisal BEFORE they sign an offer?

So what do you think about Fullerton?  Would I like the area?  If we move there you will have to hook me up with Mrs. Sparky so I can have me a friend there. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2009, 01:34:34 PM »
How new is the roof on the house in Fullerton?

You know I don't know.  It is concrete tile though because I remember him telling my husband. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2009, 01:37:20 PM »
Problem I have with that first place is (I know the neighborhood--drove by it on way to work) is that while it's pretty hilly, there's still a lot of ambient street noise, and there's that other little nuisance of FIRES.

Across the street is a greenbelt (no houses).  There are houses way above the greenbelt higher on the hill and below it is another cul-de-sac.  It didn't seem very noisy when we were there but then again we weren't listening for it when we were looking at the house. 

Oh and I too am concerned about fires. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:38:53 PM by BEG »

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2009, 01:38:35 PM »
They wrote in their first offer that if the house doesn't appraise for the sell amount that they could back out so they were covered in any event.  Have you ever heard of someone getting an appraisal BEFORE they sign an offer?

So what do you think about Fullerton?  Would I like the area?  If we move there you will have to hook me up with Mrs. Sparky so I can have me a friend there. 

There are parts of Fullerton you wouldn't want to be in after dark, but that can be said of just about anyplace.

I'll drop a line to her and see if she can show you around if/when you put an offer on that place.

And even if tile, it's probably a good idea to have it gone over with a fine tooth comb.  Dry rot is a problem there.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2009, 01:40:19 PM »
There are parts of Fullerton you wouldn't want to be in after dark, but that can be said of just about anyplace.

I'll drop a line to her and see if she can show you around if/when you put an offer on that place.

And even if tile, it's probably a good idea to have it gone over with a fine tooth comb.  Dry rot is a problem there.

Thanks for the heads up.  Do you know anything about Sunny Hills High School (heard that Troy is really good) or Golden Hills Elementary School?

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2009, 01:56:27 PM »
Don't know much about either elementary.  I do know that Brea-Olinda HS is very good, and Fullerton is okay.  But if your kids are going to school up in the Fullerton heights, I'd say you're ahead of the curve.  With few exceptions, Orange County schools are much better off than schools in the LA area.

I e-mailed Mrs. Sparky to see if she can find something out for you.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
Don't know much about either elementary.  I do know that Brea-Olinda HS is very good, and Fullerton is okay.  But if your kids are going to school up in the Fullerton heights, I'd say you're ahead of the curve.  With few exceptions, Orange County schools are much better off than schools in the LA area.

I e-mailed Mrs. Sparky to see if she can find something out for you.

Thanks Sparky, I owe you one. 

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 02:11:22 PM »
Thanks Sparky, I owe you one. 

Let the record reflect this when I ask for my In-N-Out burgers, or helpings of carne adovada from Anita's.

BTW--you do realize one requirement of living behind the "Orange Curtain" is purchase of Disneyland Annual Passes for you and your brood?  The premium pass is $389...but do not go cheap and get a So-Cal pass.  The premium gets you in 365 days a year, free parking, and merchandise discounts.  Considering a one-day pass to ONE park goes for $69, a one-day "park hopper" pass goes for $94.

IIRC, the discount is good at most, if not all, of their restaurants, including Napa Rose over at the Grand Californian.  That is one place you WILL go next time you're out there.  It's simply too good to miss, even if you don't go into the parks.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 02:28:38 PM »
Let the record reflect this when I ask for my In-N-Out burgers, or helpings of carne adovada from Anita's.

BTW--you do realize one requirement of living behind the "Orange Curtain" is purchase of Disneyland Annual Passes for you and your brood?  The premium pass is $389...but do not go cheap and get a So-Cal pass.  The premium gets you in 365 days a year, free parking, and merchandise discounts.  Considering a one-day pass to ONE park goes for $69, a one-day "park hopper" pass goes for $94.

IIRC, the discount is good at most, if not all, of their restaurants, including Napa Rose over at the Grand Californian.  That is one place you WILL go next time you're out there.  It's simply too good to miss, even if you don't go into the parks.

I don't "do" theme parks.  I will go ONCE with my kids and that is it.  I went to Six Flags ONCE during the 15 years we have lived here. 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2009, 02:34:05 PM »
I don't "do" theme parks.  I will go ONCE with my kids and that is it.  I went to Six Flags ONCE during the 15 years we have lived here. 

Boy, are you moving to the wrong state.................................................... :tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2009, 02:34:44 PM »

Boy, are you moving to the wrong state.................................................... :tongue:

:p

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2009, 04:12:45 PM »
I want to see the houses you are considering...  :( but you took them down already...

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
I want to see the houses you are considering...  :( but you took them down already...

I'll PM them to you.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »
I'll PM them to you.

Got them, thanks...I like the one on Lennox....great view, fireplace, great pool...and I'm partial to Mediterranean style homes....