Author Topic: Where does your dog rank?  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
Where does your dog rank?
« on: February 05, 2008, 03:22:11 PM »
There's actually a better list at  http://www.akc.org/reg/dogreg_stats.cfm, but it doesn't copy and paste well.

preferred breed. Do you ever wonder how popular your favorite breed is? If your family is considering a new pet, it's a good idea to learn about the breeds temperament to find our how they would fit with your family and style of living.Following are the top twenty breeds, according to the registrations by The American Kennel Club, along with a brief description of the breed.

1. Labrador Retriever: The affable, kindly dog seems to get along well with everyone, making it a popular choice. The Labrador is a retrieving gun dog. The sturdy dog is medium size and has a dense, weather resistant coat. the Labrador has a even temperament, is outgoing and gets along well with other dogs and people. Labradors are not only great pets, they can be found in guide and assistance dog programs, substance detection,and search ad rescue work. The Labrador Retriever has been at the top of the list for most popular breed since 1992.

2. Yorkshire Terrier: Yorkies, as they are commonly called, are toy terriers with long silky coats and playful attitude. Yorkies are terrific family dogs, but because of their small size, not the best pet for families with small children.

3. German Shepherd Dog: German Shepherds were originally bred in Germany to be a protector and herding dog. The distinctive Shepherd is a wonderful family member. The German Shepherd is also an excellent service dog in explosive and drug detection and also great for animal assisted therapy.

4. Golden Retriever: The Golden Retriever as bed for the purpose of retrieving wildfowl on land and water in Scotland and England. Golden Retrievers are eager to please and have a trainable, adaptable nature. The Golden Retriever is an ideal family pet, but required training and exercise, so must have room to run. Besides being a terrific family pet, Golden Retrievers are useful service dogs, guide dogs or the blind, therapy dogs and search and rescue dogs.

5. Beagle: Beagles date back to the 1300s, when it was bred as a hunting companion for small game. The Beagle has a small compact, muscular body, bold attitude and hardy bearing. Beagles are smart, independent and easily bored. They make great family pets.

6. Dachshund: Often referred to as the "Weiner Dog" the Dachshund has a long, low, sturdy body and short legs. The breed was developed in Germany three centuries ago to go underground and hunt badgers and other animals. Dachshunds are people oriented dogs and make wonderful companions and pets, with their bright intelligence and affectionate nature. Dachshunds come in three varieties and there are two sizes in each variety. The varieties are Longhaired, Smooth haired, and Wire haired. The two sizes are miniature and standard.

7. Boxer: The Boxer is a medium sized dog with square features and balanced proportions. The Boxer is a highly intelligent dog. The Boxer is responsive to it's owner, fearless but tractable, energetic and patient with children. Boxers are ideal family dogs, but can be protective when called upon. As a boisterous, clownish dog the Boxer is not for the frail or timid.

8. Poodle: Poodles are often known as dogs with fancy, fussy haircuts. Poodles are great for people who are looking for a charming companion, show dog, hunting retriever and a bright trainable god. Toy poodles are up to 10 inches high, Miniatures are 10 to 15 inches high. Standard poodles are over 15 ".

9. Shih Tzu: The Shih Tzu was developed in China's Imperial Courts and has a long history. In recent years Shih Tzus have become very popular as sturdy, lively, alert Toy dogs and happy companions.

10. Miniature Schnauzer: Schnauzers are highly intelligent, sturdy dog with wiry coats that are either black or salt and pepper in color.

11. Chihuahua: Lately seen in the arms of various "Hollywood Stars" and socialites, the Chihuahua is an ancient breed. Chihuahuas is a lively, clever breed that weighs less than 6 pounds. There are long haired and smooth haired varieties.

12. Bulldogs: Bull;dogs have tough guy good looks with a fun loving affectionate spirit. Bulldogs adapt well to families with playful children or to sedate apartment living.

13. Pug: The Pug is one of the world's oldest breeds. Pugs originated in China about 700 years ago. Pugs are small, sturdy dogs with a sensitive sincere nature. Playful Pugs are great with children. Pugs are friendly, uninhibited, comical dogs that come is two colors, fawn and black.

14. Pomeranian: Long haired Pomeranian are a Nordic breed. Pomeranian are spirited, loving, loyal dogs who are small in size, weighing 3 to 7 pounds.

15. Boston Terrier: The Boston Terrier is the result of selective breeding of the Bulldog and the white English Terrier in Boston during the 1870's. The Boston Terrier is the first genuinely American breed. An excellent companion and house put, he Boston Terrier's personality has earned the nickname "The American Gentleman".

16 Cocker Spaniel: The Cocker Spaniel is the smallest of the hunting variety of dog. It's affectionate disposition has been is a popular companion dog for over sixty years.

17. Rottweiler: The powerfully built Rottweiler is medium to large in size. This breed loved to work and is capable at herding, carting, search and rescue, therapy work and more. The Rottweiler is a devoted companion.

18. Maltese: The Maltese is a luxurious lap dog that has been a favorite of royalty.

19. Pointer (German Shorthaired): The German Shorthaired Pointer has handsome god looks. Bred as a high performance hunting dog, this breed is a versatility sporting dog. As active breed that needs exercise, the German Shorthair can be well suited to family life.

20. Shetland Sheepdogs: The adorable Sheltie was developed in the Shetland Islands as a hardy working dog and an intelligent affectionate companion. The Sheltie is a responsive, trainable dog and wonder companion.

Breeds 21 through 25 are: Doberman Pinschers, Welsh Corgies (Pembroke), Miniature Pinscher, Great Danes, and Siberian Huskies

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/129242/twenty_most_popular_dog_breeds_in_the.html?page=3
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
Re: Where does your dog rank?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 03:42:03 PM »
64th for my current dog. I have an ACD mix that's one year old. My last dog would have been #1... labs are a lot easier to train, are more friendly, and there's more of them anyway, so I can see why they'd be #1 two years in a row.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 03:52:12 PM »
64th for my current dog. I have an ACD mix that's one year old. My last dog would have been #1... labs are a lot easier to train, are more friendly, and there's more of them anyway, so I can see why they'd be #1 two years in a row.

My wife has a Chihuahua and a Dachshund, but my AmStaff doesn't rank as high.  If everybody has one, then they ain't that special, IMO.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 03:56:19 PM »
Who DUmped on that poll? No f'n way is a Maltese and a friggin' Shih Tzu a better breed than my Lhasa Apsos.  :censored:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline guest

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 03:57:37 PM »
Pembroke Welsh Corgis in the Top 25? WOOT! 

Keeshonds rank at 99 on the AKC list?  :bawl:  You people have no clue what you're missing with this breed.  This is the perfect cuddle dog, without being TOO small.  Yeah, they have a high maintenance fur coat, but they will do anything for their humans.   :-)

What my Lucky looked like (not actually her, but this dog resembles her).   I miss my Lucky (died of cancer).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:03:22 PM by ACrazyConservative »

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 03:59:12 PM »

My wife has a Chihuahua and a Dachshund, but my AmStaff doesn't rank as high.  If everybody has one, then they ain't that special, IMO.

My brother has an AmStaff/Pit mix. Very loveable dog, very hyper.... no, scratch that, EXTREMELY hyper!  :-)

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »

Mine is just a lap dog, but she's only 5 months old.  So she still sleeps ALOT.
My brother has an AmStaff/Pit mix. Very loveable dog, very hyper.... no, scratch that, EXTREMELY hyper!  :-)

Mine is only 5 months old, so she still sleeps alot.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 08:39:45 AM by Sam Fisher »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »
I have 2 Australian Shepherds (#33) and an ACD (#64). Of course they work for a living and weren't aware they were in a popularity contest. My chickens adore them, though (especially the ACD whose job it is to look out for them) does that count? The goats, not so much since their total interaction involves herding them from one pasture to the other and not being allowing to eat the luscious rose bushes on the way.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline djones520

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 06:07:08 AM »
Rotti's are my #1 choice.  A smarter, more loving, and protective dog I've never had.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Bri77

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 06:34:15 AM »
Who DUmped on that poll? No f'n way is a Maltese and a friggin' Shih Tzu a better breed than my Lhasa Apsos.  :censored:
My ex MIL had a Lhasa Apso... I hated that dog. He was so mean. His end came when he bit my then 4 year old daughter in the face. After the 10 day waiting period I took his little ass to the pound to be gassed. It wasn't the first time he bit but my MIL was always making excuses for him until then.  ::) I know not all Lhasas aren't like that but unfortunately Ben made me a little prejudiced against that breed and I'm not taking any chances with my kids.

We just recently purchased a black lab. He's only 7 weeks old so I don't yet have an idea about how good of a dog he is. I'm hoping since everyone says they have great personalities that they're right. He better be worth it, he's driving me nuts already.  ;)

Offline djones520

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 06:48:52 AM »
My ex MIL had a Lhasa Apso... I hated that dog. He was so mean. His end came when he bit my then 4 year old daughter in the face. After the 10 day waiting period I took his little ass to the pound to be gassed. It wasn't the first time he bit but my MIL was always making excuses for him until then.  ::) I know not all Lhasas aren't like that but unfortunately Ben made me a little prejudiced against that breed and I'm not taking any chances with my kids.

We just recently purchased a black lab. He's only 7 weeks old so I don't yet have an idea about how good of a dog he is. I'm hoping since everyone says they have great personalities that they're right. He better be worth it, he's driving me nuts already.  ;)

Black labs are great.  Never met one I didn't like.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 06:49:11 AM »
#8--and he's a real smartass.  Dad bred standards for a while and asked me if I wanted one (his living arrangements are gettin crowded).  Smart as a whip, but a vengeful little bastard--and he just turned 2.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 06:57:28 AM »
At number 20 the Sheltie!

Fasha Da Dog

She is one of the smartest and loving dogs I've ever had!
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 07:00:57 AM »
My current dog is an American Water Spaniel (#138) and while he is lovable and talented, he can be hard headed as a rock.
We had a Lab and a Westie for 14 years, and they made an unbeatable combo.  We lost them both two years ago, and it was like losing two of your children.
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 07:35:28 AM »
Pembroke Welsh Corgis in the Top 25? WOOT! 

Keeshonds rank at 99 on the AKC list?  :bawl:  You people have no clue what you're missing with this breed.  This is the perfect cuddle dog, without being TOO small.  Yeah, they have a high maintenance fur coat, but they will do anything for their humans.   :-)

What my Lucky looked like (not actually her, but this dog resembles her).   I miss my Lucky (died of cancer).
*high five*

I had two Keeshonds.  They were a year apart in age.  Lost the first one two years ago...brain tumor at age 15.  Lost the second one a year ago...broken heart from losing the first.   :bawl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 08:20:24 AM »
I have two #8's (one toy, one miniature toy) and an #11. 

Offline Flame

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 08:28:52 AM »
My currents pups are mutts, but my last pure bred was #48.    Some day I hope to get another one.