Author Topic: How did you protect against the 'creepies' as a kid?  (Read 11811 times)

Offline jtyangel

How did you protect against the 'creepies' as a kid?
« on: January 30, 2008, 11:01:14 PM »
My freaked out by paranormal shows thread got me thinking about how I used to guard against the 'under the bed monster' as a kid.

How did you do it?

I remember I would lay on my side and I would feel creeped out if my back was exposed to the other side 'unprotected' :whatever: so I would line up my stuffed animals on the side my back would face and hold one in the front, my favorite one. I would feel a lot more secure that way. I would also do the running fast from my bed thing to flip a light on.

Offline Miss Mia

Re: How did you protect against the 'creepies' as a kid?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:02:37 PM »
My freaked out by paranormal shows thread got me thinking about how I used to guard against the 'under the bed monster' as a kid.

How did you do it?

I remember I would lay on my side and I would feel creeped out if my back was exposed to the other side 'unprotected' :whatever: so I would line up my stuffed animals on the side my back would face and hold one in the front, my favorite one. I would feel a lot more secure that way. I would also do the running fast from my bed thing to flip a light on.

I never had a monster under my bed.   :evillaugh:

I did have a night light until I was 6 or so.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Lauri

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 11:02:58 PM »
well, all the 'creepies' were between the front door and my bedroom. so i ran up the stairs 2-3 at a time.. and then jummped from the doorway into my bed - so no boogie men could grab me from under the bed and drag me away..

:popcorn:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:04:45 PM »

How did you do it?

See, your parents loved you...mine made us sleep in pitch black :hammer: :hammer:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 11:05:48 PM »
well, all the 'creepies' were between the front door and my bedroom. so i ran up the stairs 2-3 at a time.. and then jummped from the doorway into my bed - so no boogie men could grab me from under the bed and drag me away..

Yep, that's why I hauled tail out of the bed too. I seem to recall feeling vulnerable going up the stairs in the dark too. Kids should write creepy movies--their imaginations are vivid enough.

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 11:10:47 PM »
I don't remember being that scared of the dark. I knew my daddy was right across the hall to protect me from the "monsters" and I was okay. :) I did have an ET poster that scared me when I was a kid that I made my daddy take down every night before bed. It is okay during the day but it glowed a little in the dark.

Dumbo freaked me out as a kid too.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 11:15:26 PM »
I don't remember being that scared of the dark. I knew my daddy was right across the hall to protect me from the "monsters" and I was okay. :) I did have an ET poster that scared me when I was a kid that I made my daddy take down every night before bed. It is okay during the day but it glowed a little in the dark.

Dumbo freaked me out as a kid too.

Another loved person. My dad would have put the ET poster up just to laugh when I got scared. I'm not shitting you.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 11:16:16 PM »

How did you do it?

See, your parents loved you...mine made us sleep in pitch black :hammer: :hammer:

Yes, they did.  :)  The thing that scared me the most were the bad thunderstorms.  If it started thundering and lightning during the night I would wake up and my mom made a pallet for me next to their bed with blankets. :)  That went on until I was 6 or 7.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 11:18:54 PM »

Yep, that's why I hauled tail out of the bed too. I seem to recall feeling vulnerable going up the stairs in the dark too. Kids should write creepy movies--their imaginations are vivid enough.

i dont think my parents quite knew what some of those really bad 70s movies did to me.. :-)

after Jaws, I wouldnt swim in a pool anymore... :-)

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 11:19:46 PM »

How did you do it?

Yes, they did.  :)  The thing that scared me the most were the bad thunderstorms.  If it started thundering and lightning during the night I would wake up and my mom made a pallet for me next to their bed with blankets. :)  That went on until I was 6 or 7.

That's so sweet. See, I do that with my kids...they either crawl into bed or I go to their rooms.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 11:19:52 PM »
My dad would come in with a Cobray MAC-10 and tell me if something tries to get me, he'll off his ass right there.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 11:20:39 PM »

i dont think my parents quite knew what some of those really bad 70s movies did to me.. :-)

My parents did let me watch Silence of the Lambs when I was 12, that's pretty messed up.
Stink Eye

Offline Lauri

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 11:21:31 PM »
My dad would come in with a Cobray MAC-10 and tell me if something tries to get me, he'll off his ass right there.

holy shit  :o

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 11:25:16 PM »
The usual you know...an Ithaca 20 gauge and M-80s.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 11:25:29 PM »

holy shit  :o

Yeah, it's always fun living with a gun-loving Marine.  :-)
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Lauri

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »

My parents did let me watch Silence of the Lambs when I was 12, that's pretty messed up.

hell, the flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz just about killed me when I saw them!

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 11:28:04 PM »
Our house was never pitch dark and I shared a bed with my younger brother, so I was never alone.  I just don't remember being scared.   I use to get a little creeped out when I was a teenager and my family would go out of town.  Being alone was always a time for an active imagination.  

There was the time I was home alone and our ancient family heirloom grandfather clock "walked" away from the wall.  I never did like that clock.  My dad left it to me and now it is in my living room.  

I should also mention when I was a teen and had a room of my own, the scuttle hole to the area below the house was in my closet.  That bugged me.  No particular reason.  It just did.    

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 11:30:38 PM »
The usual you know...an Ithaca 20 gauge and M-80s.

All these tough guys...I feel warm, fuzzy, and better already :-)

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 11:31:04 PM »

It didn't freak me out the first time I saw it.  But the second time, it was evening, probably 8 or 9 and my parents were doing something in the garage.  The scene where he's escaped and they go into the cell area and that guy is hanging there, FREAK OUT!
Stink Eye

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 11:31:43 PM »
Our house was never pitch dark and I shared a bed with my younger brother, so I was never alone.  I just don't remember being scared.   I use to get a little creeped out when I was a teenager and my family would go out of town.  Being alone was always a time for an active imagination. 

There was the time I was home alone and our ancient family heirloom grandfather clock "walked" away from the wall.  I never did like that clock.  My dad left it to me and now it is in my living room. 

I should also mention when I was a teen and had a room of my own, the scuttle hole to the area below the house was in my closet.  That bugged me.  No particular reason.  It just did.   

When I was a kid, my friends had houses that had those little cubby hole closets. I hated those damn things.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 11:40:44 PM »
Our house was never pitch dark and I shared a bed with my younger brother, so I was never alone.  I just don't remember being scared.   I use to get a little creeped out when I was a teenager and my family would go out of town.  Being alone was always a time for an active imagination. 

There was the time I was home alone and our ancient family heirloom grandfather clock "walked" away from the wall.  I never did like that clock.  My dad left it to me and now it is in my living room. 

I should also mention when I was a teen and had a room of my own, the scuttle hole to the area below the house was in my closet.  That bugged me.  No particular reason.  It just did.   

I grew up in Garland... nuff said..  :bawl:

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 11:42:47 PM »

When I was a kid, my friends had houses that had those little cubby hole closets. I hated those damn things.

One night I was home alone and snooping into stuff I didn't have any business snooping in.  I found an old silverware chest in my mother's closet.  Inside, I found a large manila envelope and opened it.  There was a photograph inside.  It was a closeup photo of my cousin in his casket.  He had died at the age of 11 in a 4th of July boating accident about 12 years before I was born.  

I threw the damn thing across the room, ran out of my parent's bedroom and shut the door.  I was never the same after that.  I had accidentally stumbled across mortality that night.  I didn't like it.  I didn't like dead people either.

I went back in the room the next morning, in the safe light of day, and put everything back where it belonged.  

Offline Lauri

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 11:45:49 PM »

One night I was home alone and snooping into stuff I didn't have any business snooping in.  I found an old silverware chest in my mother's closet.  Inside, I found a large manila envelope and opened it.  There was a photograph inside.  It was a closeup photo of my cousin in his casket.  He had died at the age of 11 in a 4th of July boating accident about 12 years before I was born. 

I threw the damn thing across the room, ran out of my parent's bedroom and shut the door.  I was never the same after that.  I had accidentally stumbled across mortality that night.  I didn't like it.  I didn't like dead people either.

I went back in the room the next morning, in the safe light of day, and put everything back where it belonged. 

oh thats creepy! why do people take those pictures??

when my first husband passed away, my uncle took pictures of the entire funeral. i had no real memories of what all that looked like until my step mom gave me the pictures... i was sitting there thinking, "who does this???"

Offline Lauri

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 11:47:02 PM »

It didn't freak me out the first time I saw it.  But the second time, it was evening, probably 8 or 9 and my parents were doing something in the garage.  The scene where he's escaped and they go into the cell area and that guy is hanging there, FREAK OUT!

i saw that movie as an adult and it was scary as hell...

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 11:52:33 PM »

i saw that movie as an adult and it was scary as hell...

It's actually one of my favorite movies.  The acting is just terrific.  And just enough horror and thrill in it.  *shiver*
Stink Eye