Author Topic: I'm leaving you guys....  (Read 5954 times)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: I'm leaving you guys....
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 03:17:55 PM »
Made you look! :hammer: :rotf:

Seriously, I am going to Orlando with my family (leaving this Thursday 10/16).

Besides the theme parks...... Where to go? What to see? The kids are 16, 14, and 9.

You said "besides the theme parks," so I'll stick with restaurants.

If you've never been, go to the Rainforest Cafe for dinner one night.  That's a must see.  Make sure for dessert you order the "Volcano."

If you go to Universal, the Hard Rock Cafe is right there.  If you go early you can avoid the wait.  Also, the Margaritaville Cafe is on the other side of the park and has a really fun atmosphere.

House of Blues is pretty cool.

Your whole family would enjoy any of those I mentioned.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »
We had lunch at the Rainforest one day.  $12 hamburgers.  Most entrees were around $23.  I missed The Blues Brothers with Dan Ackroyd and JIM Belushi at the House of Blues while we were there.  Would have liked to have seen that.  Restaurants we liked were the Flying Fish at the Disney Boardwalk and Fultons at Downtown Disney.  The Cuban place (Bongos) at Downtown Disney was good too.  And Sosa's Cigar Bar was lots of fun.

Oh yeah, the Rainforest is definately pricey, but the atmosphere is great.  Besides it's vacation time; blow some dough and pay too much just to say you went there.  We went around 4 years ago and my kids still talk about it.  I, too, would recommend Downtown Disney one night just to see all the stuff.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 03:31:04 PM »
Here's another for you, Schade.  If you like Spanish (Cuban) food, go to the Columbia Restaurant.  It's originally out of Tampa, but I see there's one in Celebration, FL which is near Orlando.  You'll absolutely love the food there.

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/celebration.asp

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 03:33:16 PM »
We got stuck in "England" at Epcot because of rain.
Had a really good English Gin I had never tried.  It was really good.

It's called "Hendricks".

Ah yes, the Rose and Crown.  Half yards of beer.  I think I had about six one day, and then showed up at the last minute for the beer tasting.  You know how it is, 4-5 guys at a table with 4 different types of beer to "sample" during their talk.  Only problem is, they put me at a table by myself because I showed up just before they started, and figured other late arrivals would fill in my table.  But sadly, there were no others.

Did I mention there were FOUR beers--all for me?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 07:08:23 PM »
Oh yeah, the Rainforest is definately pricey, but the atmosphere is great.  Besides it's vacation time; blow some dough and pay too much just to say you went there.  We went around 4 years ago and my kids still talk about it.  I, too, would recommend Downtown Disney one night just to see all the stuff.

Have been to the Rainforest Cafe in Chicago and in Vegas (in MGM Grand). The food was pretty good, expensive for what it was, but definitely interesting, especially for kids. I'd recommend it, just don't take them there too hungry.

I've never been to Disney, but have been to the Cape and loved the tour. It was fascinating.

Have fun, Schade. Your "I'm leaving" title got me worried. Everyone would miss you if you really left.

Keep us posted on your trip and have a greyt time.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008, 07:14:43 PM »
Have been to the Rainforest Cafe in Chicago and in Vegas (in MGM Grand). The food was pretty good, expensive for what it was, but definitely interesting, especially for kids. I'd recommend it, just don't take them there too hungry.

We have one of those here.  Something got into the "rainforest" part of the cafe and made everyone sick.  They had to shut the place down.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 07:27:42 PM »
Well let's see, what to do in the hood that's cool but not boring.....hummmm  Well north of the Space Center is Playalynda Beach. If you're willing to hike a mile or so north of the last parking area you can work on that all over tan :-) I am available for tan line inspections.  :rotf:

Actually a day trip north up the east coast a couple of hours will get you to St Augustine. It's a cool place to spend a day.

If you do the east coast beach trip stop on by Camp Holly or Poinsett Lodge and take an Airboat ride. They'll take you on a trip on the river and through the swapms a bit. You'll see some natural Florida and they'll show you some of those there big ass lizards we're known for.

Like's been mentioned Sea World is cool. They just opened a new Waterpark across the street, I haven't been but it looks fun.

Go west, Young woman and visit Busch Gardens. Awesome rides and free beer. They have bus rides from Orlando.

Kississme has some cool shit. It's been awhile since I was there but they had blimp rides. Medivel Times is a theme restaurant with a jousting match and stuff while you eat. Dolly Parton had a rodeo themed restaurant but it went.... ba-dump-bump tits up  :rotf: :rotf:

International Drive has all sorts of touristy crap do do, see and eat. Plus they have a Bass Pro shop :-) (BTW they also have a Ron Jons in the same mall)

Park Ave in Winter Park just barely north of Orlando is a nics place to stroll and shop.
Orange City a short piece up I-4 has Blue Springs St Park. Bring your thong and rent an innertube for a float downstream.

Pictures will be mandatory

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008, 07:42:33 PM »

I've never been to Disney, but have been to the Cape and loved the tour. It was fascinating.

Have fun, Schade. Your "I'm leaving" title got me worried. Everyone would miss you if you really left.

Keep us posted on your trip and have a greyt time.

If I left.... where would I go.... no really, WHERE would I go?  :-) The fact is, you all are stuck with me, warts and all.

Thanks SLW, we should have a pretty good time, life has been on hold for the last few years and I'm looking forward to just hanging with my peeps.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 07:46:42 PM »
Randy WOW!

I have read each and every post and certainly have 'noone' to blame but myself if we are bored... thanks again everyone!

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 07:49:39 PM »
It is blue marlin season...just sayin'.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 07:53:36 PM »
Randy WOW!

I have read each and every post and certainly have 'noone' to blame but myself if we are bored... thanks again everyone!

I mentioned on MA's thread that Swimming with the Manatees is a GREAT activity, but a little expensive...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »
Made you look! :hammer: :rotf:

dooooood! Not do that, I'm super cereal.  :tongue:
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2008, 10:35:19 PM »
dooooood! Not do that, I'm super cereal.  :tongue:

I'll always be your Squeaky.  :popcorn:

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 10:39:14 PM »
I'll always be your Squeaky.  :popcorn:

Thanks dude!  :-* :innocent:
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 12:09:23 AM »
I don't know if you reserved your hotel yet...but since your family has teens and older children, the best place would be at Universal Studios/ Islands of Adventure.  If you stay on-site, (Hard Rock Hotel, Portofino, Royal Pacific) your room key becomes an express pass...which means you don't have to wait in long lines...ever.  You won't have to worry about driving either as the parks are within walking distance of the hotels, but if you're feeling lazy, or drunk..they have a ferry that will take you to your hotel that runs every 10 minutes.  AT night, there is City Place which has dozens of restaurants, bars, dancing places.

I go there all the time, let me know if you have any questions....Oh, and the hotels are beautiful with great pools.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »
I don't know if you reserved your hotel yet...but since your family has teens and older children, the best place would be at Universal Studios/ Islands of Adventure.  If you stay on-site, (Hard Rock Hotel, Portofino, Royal Pacific) your room key becomes an express pass...which means you don't have to wait in long lines...ever.  You won't have to worry about driving either as the parks are within walking distance of the hotels, but if you're feeling lazy, or drunk..they have a ferry that will take you to your hotel that runs every 10 minutes.  AT night, there is City Place which has dozens of restaurants, bars, dancing places.

I go there all the time, let me know if you have any questions....Oh, and the hotels are beautiful with great pools.

WOW!  That is great information!

Would you be willing to put together a longer list of similar tips for "ask Mr. Flight?"
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2008, 12:19:22 AM »
WOW!  That is great information!

Would you be willing to put together a longer list of similar tips for "ask Mr. Flight?"

Islands of Adventure is the greatest...my first time there, I walked around with my mouth open looking around.  The rollercoasters are amazing. Great water rides. Universal is different, but equally as fun.  A great place to eat for Lunch at Islands of the Adventure, Mythos...the restaurant is in a cave (synthetic cave)  Food is great, deserts in shooters.City Place is also within walking distance to the hotels.  Royal Pacific is the least expensive, Portofino, the most expensive.  I usually stay at the Hard Rock, but have stayed at all three.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2008, 12:30:16 AM »
Islands of Adventure is the greatest...my first time there, I walked around with my mouth open looking around.  The rollercoasters are amazing. Great water rides. Universal is different, but equally as fun.  A great place to eat for Lunch at Islands of the Adventure, Mythos...the restaurant is in a cave (synthetic cave)  Food is great, deserts in shooters.City Place is also within walking distance to the hotels.  Royal Pacific is the least expensive, Portofino, the most expensive.  I usually stay at the Hard Rock, but have stayed at all three.

Any and all info would be great -- we are entering the winter travel time and O-land is a prized spot.  If you can bullet-point out your insights, the whole board would benefit.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2008, 11:37:55 AM »
I don't know how "great" it is.  Last week, it rained EVERY day in the afternoon and on several nights.  The humidity was 122% and everyone was sweating like pigs in a slaughterhouse.

Only fools go to Orlando during the summer months... :evillaugh:

Floridians go during our "winter" and we take advantage of our resident discounts (half or more of what everyone else pays).  Hey, living in Hurricane Valley does have it's perks... :-)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2008, 11:43:55 AM »
October is not a summer month.

It is in Florida...Spring starts November 1st, if we're lucky.
October is a hot month for hurricanes and daily afternoon showers. 
Best times to visit Florida are November through mid-May.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2008, 11:48:38 AM »
It is in Florida...Spring starts November 1st, if we're lucky.
October is a hot month for hurricanes and daily afternoon showers. 
Best times to visit Florida are November through mid-May.
Yeah, but for people with kids, those months get a little dicey with taking too much time off. I don't know about Schade, but October our kids get a LOT of time off for some reason so its ideal. Mine are off this Friday and then Monday so if you take  a vacation they might only have to miss 2 days. Unfortunately, my oldest will be spending Friday in the dentist's chair.  :thatsright:

BTW, Schade, have fun. Despite having lived in Florida for years and still having the bulk of my relatives there, I can't offer you much advice. I just kinda fly by the seat of my pants when I go to visit since we usually are visiting family and often I prefer to just haul our crew to the beach to just relax since like Hawkgirl said, the crowds 'in season' can be crazy at the parks. Enjoy!!! Oh and I know I may get bonked for saying this, but check at each park. They may have a pass if you bring minor documentation of Ronnie's autism that you can use to help get through the lines if they are long. We used it with Ryan when we went to King's Island. Made it a lot easier with the stims that came along if we waited too long. We also put a band on his arm with our phone numbers which came in handy since he actually did get lost.  :thatsright: :bawl:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:52:44 AM by jtyangel »

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2008, 11:53:03 AM »
Yeah, but for people with kids, those months get a little dicey with taking too much time off. I don't know about Schade, but October our kids get a LOT of time off for some reason so its ideal. Mine are off this Friday and then Monday so if you take  a vacation they might only have to miss 2 days. Unfortunately, my oldest will be spending Friday in the dentist's chair.  :thatsright:

What about Christmas break, winter break or spring break?  While it may be pricier...you'll get amazing weather down here.  You still can get lucky and get a few nice days in October..but it's a gamble. One pro for October is that floridian kids are in school and lines won't be as long and the parks won't be as busy.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2008, 02:23:43 PM »
Floridians go during our "winter" and we take advantage of our resident discounts (half or more of what everyone else pays).  Hey, living in Hurricane Valley does have it's perks... :-)

I grew up in Tampa and I remember going to DisneyWorld (Magic Kingdom) in the late 70's and early 80's during February when Disney did "Florida residents month" and paying only $8 to get into the park.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »
I grew up in Tampa and I remember going to DisneyWorld (Magic Kingdom) in the late 70's and early 80's during February when Disney did "Florida residents month" and paying only $8 to get into the park.

Yeah but that's back in the days when "E" Ticket rides existed.  :lmao:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2008, 04:04:49 PM »
Yeah but that's back in the days when "E" Ticket rides existed.  :lmao:

(All images are from Yesterdayland.com)