Author Topic: I have to say it... Cheers to Obama  (Read 4707 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
I have to say it... Cheers to Obama
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »
MONROE, Michigan (CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama said firmly that families are off-limits in the campaign for president, reacting to news that GOP running mate Sarah Palin's 17-year-old daughter is pregnant.

Sen. Barack Obama campaigns in Monroe, Michigan, on Monday.

"Let me be as clear as possible," Obama said. "I think people's families are off-limits, and people's children are especially off-limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as governor or her potential performance as a vice president."

Cheers
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: I have to say it... Cheers to Obama
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 06:10:31 PM »

what else is he going to do?  his mother was 17 and unmarried when he was conceived, of course he doesn't want to discuss it.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 06:14:52 PM »

what else is he going to do?  his mother was 17 and unmarried when he was conceived, of course he doesn't want to discuss it.

LOL I agree but I also give him props for actually coming out and saying it.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 06:15:46 PM »

Agreed, but he could have let it simmer in the press a bit longer.  Letting an overzealous press corp and democratic pundits run amok with it.  His future action on squashing this as an issue, for unofficial campaign staff, remains to be seen and will be an even better judge of character.   

Not really. His handlers know more about politics than the various dumbass bloggers out there. He HAD to denounce this as it would hurt his campaign. Genuine? My ass.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 06:19:49 PM »

Agreed, but he could have let it simmer in the press a bit longer.  Letting an overzealous press corp and democratic pundits run amok with it.  His future action on squashing this as an issue, for unofficial campaign staff, remains to be seen and will be an even better judge of character.   

Not really. His handlers know more about politics than the various dumbass bloggers out there. He HAD to denounce this as it would hurt his campaign. Genuine? My ass.

and also, his wife is a loose canon.  not wanting family members to be attacked is a pretty understandable desire in his position.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 06:22:53 PM »
Not only that, but the lefty bloggers will keep up the attacks anyway. This just gives Obama plausible deniability.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 06:24:56 PM »
and also, his wife is a loose canon.  not wanting family members to be attacked is a pretty understandable desire in his position.

To say the least!

I'm actually unsure though, if I believe a presidential candidate's wife should be completely off limits... I'm leaning to believing she should be scrutinized by the press.

If they are actively campaigning and giving speeches, they are fair game. If they just make appearances with the husband , then they should be left out of it.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 06:28:42 PM »

To say the least!

I'm actually unsure though, if I believe a presidential candidate's wife should be completely off limits... I'm leaning to believing she should be scrutinized by the press.

The MichelleStar! interjected herself into the campaign, and is therefore a fair target.  cindy mccain hasn't opened her mouth on the campaign trail,  and other than looking very good on stage and supporting her husband, she has taken no role in the campaign whatsoever.  so I would consider her off limits.  I know that sounds self serving, but if cindy mccain started speaking out, I would consider it open season on her.

kids should be completely off limits.  chelsea was granted immunity be the MSM.  I wish I could say the same thing about jenna and barbara.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 06:38:11 PM »
Who doesn't remember the pics of the drunken brawl pic of Jenna?  Ah to be young again.

On a side note, or back on topic.  There is another reason that Obama spoke up on this subject.  Had anyone heard from him since McCain named his VP choice?  He had to get his name back in the news.

Offline Jim

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 07:31:11 PM »

What her really doesn't want is any scrutiny over the particulars of his birth.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:38:53 PM »
Say what you will, and my opinion of him hasn't changed, but I have to say  :cheersmate: for so quickly making this statement.

You left out the *wink* *wink* to the 527s and KOS/DU/HU/etc.

Which was clearly there, since it took him so long to come out with his "condemnation."
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 07:49:17 PM »
Say what you will, and my opinion of him hasn't changed, but I have to say  :cheersmate: for so quickly making this statement.

Actually he waited 72 hours before making this statement.

He let the rumors run wild over the internet (supposedly a staffer started the rumor at Kos) before finally realizing this whole thing would make him look bad.

If he'd really wanted to act quickly he'd have squashed this sometime on Saturday afternoon.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Jim

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 07:52:28 PM »
Who doesn't remember the pics of the drunken brawl pic of Jenna?  Ah to be young again.

On a side note, or back on topic.  There is another reason that Obama spoke up on this subject.  Had anyone heard from him since McCain named his VP choice?  He had to get his name back in the news.

He had come out very early that she had zero experience in a hamhanded attempt to blunt the actual fact that he has no experience.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 07:55:50 PM »

He had come out very early that she had zero experience in a hamhanded attempt to blunt the actual fact that he has no experience.

he later claimed it was his campaign that released that statement, and he and joe bidet relased a joint statement that totally contradicted it . . . as though he had no control over his own campaign staff.

Offline Jim

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 07:58:48 PM »

he later claimed it was his campaign that released that statement, and he and joe bidet relased a joint statement that totally contradicted it . . . as though he had no control over his own campaign staff.

forgive me but that little game doesn't work for me as they've used far too often.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »

This pick has the messiah express reeling.  And since it is a long weekend and Gustav is so far a flop, it is all Palin all the time.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 08:01:38 PM »

forgive me but that little game doesn't work for me as they've used far too often.

no forgiveness necessary, my friend.  I think it was a huge load of crap, too.  :-)

Offline Jim

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 08:04:18 PM »

no forgiveness necessary, my friend.  I think it was a huge load of crap, too.  :-)

I just hope all of we the people are paying attention to this bullshit.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 10:48:31 AM »
Not only that, but the lefty bloggers will keep up the attacks anyway. This just gives Obama plausible deniability.

I was reading DU last night.. and they have no intention of letting it go. They agree Obama should stay away from it, but they will not let up. Apparently, for all their 'sex is just what animals/humans do' .. they dont really believe it at all.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 10:53:49 AM »

I was reading DU last night.. and they have no intention of letting it go. They agree Obama should stay away from it, but they will not let up. Apparently, for all their 'sex is just what animals/humans do' .. they dont really believe it at all.

DU isn't the campaign.  And there are plenty of DUers that aren't participating in this "babygate" bullshit either. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »

It will be interesting to see how his disciples at DU react though. I agree though that it was what had to be said on his part. Still he went so far to say that if anyone on his campaign staff brought this up that they would be fired. That part is a brave move since he's attached consequences to it and not just distanced himself from commenting on it.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 11:11:05 AM »

DU isn't the campaign.  And there are plenty of DUers that aren't participating in this "babygate" bullshit either. 

Obama's camp is fully participating in this BS ... he is just publically rapping their knuckles but privately, his campaign is pushing it to the hilt.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 11:35:56 AM »

DU isn't the campaign. 

Then why did they skip the DLC Convention in Chicago and feed the ego of the nut roots by going to the Kos Convention instead...the same week in the same town?

That as much says "we are with you and support you" to the kooks at DU as anything I've seen.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lauri

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 11:38:24 AM »

DU isn't the campaign. 

Then why did they skip the DLC Convention in Chicago and feed the ego of the nut roots by going to the Kos Convention instead...the same week in the same town?

That as much says "we are with you and support you" to the kooks at DU as anything I've seen.

this thing is unraveling quickly, and when Kos is forced to out who gave them the info .. the trail will lead back to Obama.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 12:35:41 PM »
^but he'll blame it on one of his 300 advisors. It will just be another troubling footnote to the list I posted in the thread called Obama vs. his staff.

And he wants be leader of the free world? For a man with big balls, he certainly has none*.

*that's totally nonsensical but it's all I can come up with.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle