Author Topic: Bush, Cheney Will Not Attend GOP Convention Due to Hurricane  (Read 1393 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Bush, Cheney Will Not Attend GOP Convention Due to Hurricane
« on: August 31, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »

DEVELOPING: President Bush will skip the Republican National Convention on Monday and instead travel to Texas to meet with emergency workers and people who evacuated the Gulf Coast as Hurricane Gustav bore down.

After a briefing Sunday from Federal Emergency Management Agency officials, Bush urged residents to heed local officials’ order to evacuate.

“Do not put yourselves in harm’s way or make rescue workers take unnecessary risks,” he said. “And know that the American people stand with you. We’ll face this emergency together.”

Bush said he had been assured that New Orleans’ levees are “stronger than they have ever been,” but that there is a “serious risk of significant flooding” across the Gulf Coast, especially in that city.

“The message to the people of the Gulf Coast is this storm is dangerous,” he said.

Vice President Dick Cheney will also not attend the convention on Monday as scheduled because of concerns over Hurricane Gustav, the White House announced Sunday.  First Lady Laura Bush, however, is still expected to address delegates on the opening day.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/08/31/bush-unlikely-to-attend-opening-of-gop-convention/

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Bush, Cheney Will Not Attend GOP Convention Due to Hurricane
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 02:08:48 PM »
So they are doing all the things they said they should have done when Katrina happened -- AND this time Gustav has a bead on NOLA.

Think the * response will get any positive play?

Anyone?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 04:02:16 PM »
^nope. But frankly I don't care. Another disaster is looming. Politics be damned. Bush and his administration made the right call.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »
Why do we even have DNC and RNC conventions? People have pretty much made up their minds on who they are going to vote. Anyways, I think Bush and Cheney did the right thing. Anyways, the moonbats cannot now repeat 1968.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 05:18:02 PM »
So they are doing all the things they said they should have done when Katrina happened -- AND this time Gustav has a bead on NOLA.

Think the * response will get any positive play?

Anyone?

the voters of LA took care of the biggest contributor to the miserable response to katrina by electing bobby jindal.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 05:19:02 PM »
Why do we even have DNC and RNC conventions? People have pretty much made up their minds on who they are going to vote. Anyways, I think Bush and Cheney did the right thing. Anyways, the moonbats cannot now repeat 1968.

conventional wisdom holds that the "average american" isn't paying attention until the conventions.  I think that is probably more or less correct.