Author Topic: Computer Nerds, Guidance Wanted  (Read 878 times)

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
Computer Nerds, Guidance Wanted
« on: June 01, 2018, 03:09:54 AM »
Situation:  Two nearly identical computers.  Both by HP, both running Win10 and religiously updated, one AMD the other Intel inside, both containing a lot of the same stuff...

Issue:
  ...a lot of the same stuff.

Desired endstate:
That whenever the computers are in proximity-- I'm willing to connect them with cabling if necessary, but I'd just as soon it worked over my home wifi net-- they seek each other out like a pair of newlyweds on a private island, enthusiastically linking up and sharing everything they have with each other.

So that if I make a change on a spreadsheet, the computer with the older version looks at dates and copies the newer version, discarding the older...

Or if I add new pictures to one computer, they automatically get sucked off into the other computer's "My Pictures" folder...

I'm sure you get the idea. At the end of the encounter, the computers would contain identical information.

Anyone have a solution?
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Re: Computer Nerds, Guidance Wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 05:31:22 AM »
OneDrive or Drop Box. You will use them as your data directory where you store your word docs, excel files, configs, etc. The applications on your computers will save files on either of these virtual drives (locally) and the software will copy the files to any other computers that you have set up these drives on. My laptop and desktop have Onedrive (free with Windows) and that is how I keep everything available to me. I point what every application that needs a config file to read and save to the OneDrive and the applications that I have that use the configs have the same configuration.

This is the poor man's, cheap way of doing what you ask.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:24:25 AM »
I'm lazy. I'd use a flash drive (and do, at work) or email for files I wanted on both computers.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 08:43:19 AM »
I'm lazy. I'd use a flash drive (and do, at work) or email for files I wanted on both computers.

I'm lazier.  That's what I'm doing now.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 10:18:11 AM »
The pictures and video I take with my phone save to onedrive and if the phone crashes I have copies.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 04:23:36 PM »
in control panel go to add a device, add both computers in there, or try doing it in the network sharing center.
Once both machines are connected  to the network you can set up file sharing eithere in network center or in explorer in the files tab.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!