Author Topic: Happy Birthday! Have some racism from Elmwood Cafe! MrScorpio  (Read 1972 times)

Offline CC27

MrScorpio (68,919 posts)

Happy Birthday! Have some racism from Elmwood Cafe!

You don’t know me. I know that for sure now. It’s not that I would expect you to know me, although many people in the Bay Area do, because of the work I’ve done as a stand-up comedian locally and on television. I’m known for something that The New Yorker called “intersectional progressivism.” That basically means I use jokes to fight for the people who don’t get a fair shake in the world. For the last several years, I have tried to learn as much as I can about oppression in all forms so that I can help make the world slightly more bearable with a few jokes. But that’s just my career.

In my life, I am a person who loves The Bay Area. LOVE IT! I lived in San Francisco for 13 years and in Oakland for two. And even though I lived in SF mostly, I spent A LOT of time in The East Bay. I have done my own headlining shows at The New Parish, La Pena, The East Bay JCC, and Marga Gomez’s comedy nights at The Marsh. I love these audiences. The Bay Area is a place where all sorts of different people live together, explore new ideas and strive to uphold the idea made famous by children singer Raffi, “The more we get together the happier we’ll be!”

To be honest though, my most fervent love is for Oakland. Which is why I was so excited recently when the people at Oaklandish gave me a hoodie. They just GAVE IT TO ME! I was walking past their pop-up shop at The Oakland Airport and one of their employees saw me, recognized me (I told you that people around here know me), and she awesomely and very generously gave me a hoodie. I love it. I wear it a lot. I was wearing it this past Monday, January 26, when I went to the Elmwood Cafe.

https://www.wkamaubell.com/blog/2015/01/happy-birthday-have-some-racism-from-elmwood-cafe

https://upload.democraticunderground.com/118764063

The bay area is a POS.

Offline SVPete

Re: Happy Birthday! Have some racism from Elmwood Cafe! MrScorpio
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 07:42:32 AM »
First, Mr Corpulent is an East Coaster. What's with him posting about something that supposedly happened on the West Coast?

Second, and more to the point:

http://www.dailycal.org/2015/01/30/elmwood-cafe-host-community-meeting-incident-described-local-comedian-racist/

Elmwood Cafe to host community meeting after incident described by local comedian as racist

BY CHLOEE WEINER | STAFFLAST UPDATED JANUARY 30, 2015

Berkeley’s Elmwood Cafe will hold a public conversation next week after a local comedian posted an open letter to the cafe on his blog Thursday about being the victim of racist treatment earlier that week.

On his blog, W. Kamau Bell, a black sociopolitical comedian and community activist from the Bay Area, and his wife recounted the incident. During a Monday visit to the cafe, an employee allegedly told Bell to “scram” as he was talking with his wife and her friends, who are white.

Bell wrote that after asking him to leave multiple times, the employee “realized that no one at the table was bothered by (his) presence” and told Bell she “thought (he) was selling something.”

The couple and their daughter left the restaurant soon after.

Although Bell stated in his post that he and his wife were “not calling for anyone to be fired” and “not asking for a boycott,” Elmwood Cafe dismissed the employee Friday, according to owner Michael Pearce.

“Our employee said it was a misunderstanding, but an understanding like this one is against who we are and what we do,” Pearce said. “Somebody came here and left feeling unwelcome and uncomfortable, and that’s just unacceptable.”

After seeing Bell’s post Thursday, Pearce said he was “appalled” by the incident and reached out to Bell and his wife to apologize and ask to meet in person to talk about the issue. After the conversation, Bell and Pearce agreed to hold an open discussion to address the matter in a group setting.

So ( :-) ),

* The incident happened 3 1/4 years ago.

* The cafe' apologized to Bell and his family.

* The cafe' fired the employee.

* The cafe' opened its doors for a community meeting to discuss how people feeeeeeeel about the incident (or something like that).

Did Mr. Corpulent not notice the date of the blog post he linked? Nor the month and year of the post in the url he posted? :thatsright:

Did Mr. Corpulent bother to see whether there might be more to the story? :thatsright: Another side? :thatsright: Follow-up? :thatsright: Will anyone on DU bother to factcheck the story and look for updates (only one response, but it was posted just an hour ago)? It's posted to DU's AfAm forum, so I doubt that will happen soon, if at all.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 08:37:38 AM »
BTW,his wife's PHD is in dance. She is obviously a genius because she managed to get a PHD in a field where a cockroach could qualify.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 09:35:24 AM »

Aha.

It looks as if you caught Lamond with his pants down.....again.

Good work!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »
11cents (1,523 posts)

4. This happened three years ago.

OneBro (43 posts)

5. This occurred in 2015.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 09:49:20 AM »

You know, sir, one of the Great Mysteries of Life, which I'll never know before I die.

What in the world possibly makes MrsCorpio think he's so smart?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »
Aha.

It looks as if you caught Lamond with his pants down.....again.

Good work!

Please! Append :spork: alerts at the front of word pictures like that!

The age of the linked blog post got called out with the 4th and 5th responses. I'd love take take credit on behalf of the Cave, but the date is right there in the url Mr. Corpulent posted.

You know, sir, one of the Great Mysteries of Life, which I'll never know before I die.

What in the world possibly makes MrsCorpio think he's so smart?

The fat is in Mr. Corpulent's head.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:25:30 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.