Author Topic: motor vehicle repair charges  (Read 2142 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
motor vehicle repair charges
« on: October 24, 2008, 06:39:28 PM »
Because the regular mechanic's busy with mechanicizing farm equipment, I had to have another guy in town do some stuff on my motor vehicle.

This is stuff never done by the regular mechanic, whose charges are eminently reasonable, and so I have no comparison.

The second guy, the one who did this work, allowed me to purchase the parts, and charged only labor.

First repair: installation of new serpentine belt, front-end alignment, installation of new tie rod.

I paid $19 for the serpentine belt, $20 for the tie rod.

Labor charges: $75.

Second repair: installation of new brake shoes and fluid hose, plus machining of brake rotor.

I paid $18 for the brake shoes, and $16 for the fluid hose.

Labor charges: $50.

Someone said this is too much, but the guy has a sterling reputation, and I don't think so; in fact, it was less than I expected it to be.

How does all this compare with anybody else's experience?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: motor vehicle repair charges
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 06:42:04 PM »
The brake job seems reasonable.  It's a messy, dirty, nasty job and brake fluid is toxic.

The tie-rod/belt install seems a little pricey.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 06:43:17 PM »
The brake job seems reasonable.  It's a messy, dirty, nasty job and brake fluid is toxic.

You're getting hosed on the belt change.  Get a four-foot metal bar as a pry rod and do it yourself.

The "belt change" included new tie-rod installation and front-end alignment; all three for $75.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 06:44:30 PM »
I missed that the first time and edited my post.  Sorry.

edited to add:  I've never done an alignment, but they usually charge $30 for the time it takes.  Those prices look allright to me.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 06:47:17 PM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Flame

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 07:04:16 PM »
My in-laws own a shop, and that sound very reasonable to me.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 08:39:39 PM »
It sounds very fair especially without having any mark up on the parts.

In 12 years at the NAPA store I turned countless numbers of brake rotors and drums and it is one of the nastiest jobs you can imagine in a closed area.
Brake,rust and machining dust everywhere in the air and on your hands mixed with a certain amount of grease.
The junk iron used would rust badly in spots which would dull the cutting bits causing them to chatter against the surfaces or run out badly.
Fixing that once it happned was a very slow and painstaking process.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 08:47:05 PM »
Prices have gone up.  I remember when Howard's motorcycle shop used to charge $60 for an hour's labor.  Now they're $90.

The car dealership is up to $75.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 01:09:45 AM »
Because the regular mechanic's busy with mechanicizing farm equipment, I had to have another guy in town do some stuff on my motor vehicle.

This is stuff never done by the regular mechanic, whose charges are eminently reasonable, and so I have no comparison.

The second guy, the one who did this work, allowed me to purchase the parts, and charged only labor.

First repair: installation of new serpentine belt, front-end alignment, installation of new tie rod.

I paid $19 for the serpentine belt, $20 for the tie rod.

Labor charges: $75.

Second repair: installation of new brake shoes and fluid hose, plus machining of brake rotor.

I paid $18 for the brake shoes, and $16 for the fluid hose.

Labor charges: $50.

Someone said this is too much, but the guy has a sterling reputation, and I don't think so; in fact, it was less than I expected it to be.

How does all this compare with anybody else's experience?

At rates that low, I would of gave the guy a tip.

You got a very good deal.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 10:01:30 AM »
I concur with the rest of the folks. Dealerships in MN are charging $90+ per hour for labor. Then, they go by some book that says it should take "X" number of man-hours to do a particular job, even when it can be done more quickly. Here in Texas, the labor rates are a little lower. Frank, you're getting a good deal. I charged a friend of mine $60 to repair a starter. All in all, it took me about an hour and a half to pull it, get it repaired, and reinstall it. The repair, itself, cost $35. So, she had her starter fixed for under $100. A rebuilt starter from the local auto parts store was $175.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson