Author Topic: car stereo  (Read 10302 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
car stereo
« on: October 20, 2008, 09:43:57 PM »
Since a particular car buff isn't answering his messages (I'll get him later for that!  :hammer: ), I guess I'll post my problem here.  :whatever:

My car's trying to break down on me.  At least the engine/transmission aren't screwing up *knocks on wood*

For the last couple of weeks, my Mazda 6's stereo has been acting very strange... the volume has been erratically changing on its own, whether it be the radio or a cd.  The radio has had excess static, even if the car is near a particular radio station that I'm tuned into. :(  Any ideas in regards to what is wrong?  I'm taking the car to the dealer at 8 am to have it checked out, but I am hoping that the problem isn't an expensive one (as in replacing the stereo altogether).

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: car stereo
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 09:51:20 PM »
It sounds like a loose connection between the radio and the speakers.
Hopefully it isn`t anything too involved.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:30:07 AM »
Well, I'm screwed.  The problem was much worse than a wiring issue.  A new stereo has been ordered.   :censored:

This is going to hurt me, unless I can get the warranty (I paid extra for a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty that covers most of the car) to pay for it.  The stereo problem was apparently a defect.  Only problem is, the warranty says I have to call FWS (the business through which the warranty was bought) and let them know the car is being repaired at a dealer other than the selling dealer. :(
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 03:01:17 PM »
You should have been wearing your tin-foil hat, it takes care of those pesky radio problems.  :fuelfire: ................................................. :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 09:19:01 PM »
You should have been wearing your tin-foil hat, it takes care of those pesky radio problems.  :fuelfire: ................................................. :-)

:asssmack:   :lmao:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 09:34:07 PM »
Damn -- if it wasn't for bad luck you would have no luck at all.

Just remember: That which does not kill you will hopefully kill someone else.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:34:36 PM »

:lmao:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 09:37:17 PM »
As long as the dealer it's at takes the Fidelity warranties there's no problem.  We have plenty of cars that come in that were bought at another dealership and JM&A still covers the claim. 

Give the info to the service advisor and they'll set up a claim with JM&A.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 09:45:26 PM »

:rotf:  Thanks for the laugh... I needed it.

Yes, I've had a bad streak... and it sucks!   :(

a friend of mine stated that I seem to be cursed,and I ought to return to my home state and see a voodoo priest about my problems.   :o  :p

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 09:47:59 PM »

a friend of mine stated that I seem to be cursed,and I ought to return to my home state and see a voodoo priest about my problems.   :o  :p

I had the same experience when I was in North Carolina.  I moved back home. 

Things still suck, but at least I'm comfortable here.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 09:48:18 PM »

My wife would say you need to go to Apodoca, Mexico and get a "cleaning."

Well, as long as you have friends you can at least know you have support and a repository of many years of experience.

When I was your age and hit the skids a bit I pretty much had myself. And sometimes that really didn't feel like enough.  I wish I would have had a CC to lean on.

Hang in there and remember you have vast resources here.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 09:49:34 PM »
As long as the dealer it's at takes the Fidelity warranties there's no problem.  We have plenty of cars that come in that were bought at another dealership and JM&A still covers the claim. 

Give the info to the service advisor and they'll set up a claim with JM&A.

I'm heading over to Fairway (not so fair to me, methinks) on Thursday and showing them the warranty.  It may take a few days for the parts to come in, so I'm going to try that before I allow the repairs to take place.

I'm just glad its not the engine or transmission (also covered, but it would be a bigger pain in the ass to deal with than what's going on with the stereo).

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 09:51:36 PM »
I would call the warranty co. and ask them if X dealership will accept the warranty first.  Have the name, address, and phone number of the dealership when you call.  At least they'll be able to tell you when the last time a particular dealership used their warranty. 

I have the same problem at work with drivers calling in not being able to find somewhere to buy fuel because some station decided to stop accepting our card a year ago.  It always pays to check.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
I'm heading over to Fairway (not so fair to me, methinks) on Thursday and showing them the warranty.  It may take a few days for the parts to come in, so I'm going to try that before I allow the repairs to take place.

I'm just glad its not the engine or transmission (also covered, but it would be a bigger pain in the ass to deal with than what's going on with the stereo).

Here's a phone number (800) 553-7146

As long as your dealer sells JM&A products they'll service them. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 01:13:10 AM »
How'd it work out with the warranty and the car stereo?
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 01:57:15 AM »
How'd it work out with the warranty and the car stereo?

No news.  :bawl: I haven't been able to get back to the dealer to discuss the warranty due to my work schedule changing this week (got busier :( ).  I have yet to hear back regarding when the new stereo is supposed to arrive at the dealer.  And since the service department is closed on weekends at Fairway Mazda, I'll have to wait until Monday.  What I may end up doing is, if my hours at work get cut for the next two weeks (that's what I was warned could happen), I may sneak back up to Atlanta and see about having the original dealer (Jim Ellis Mazda) provide a second opinion and see if I really do need a new stereo.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 02:32:42 AM »
No news.  :bawl: I haven't been able to get back to the dealer to discuss the warranty due to my work schedule changing this week (got busier :( ).  I have yet to hear back regarding when the new stereo is supposed to arrive at the dealer.  And since the service department is closed on weekends at Fairway Mazda, I'll have to wait until Monday.  What I may end up doing is, if my hours at work get cut for the next two weeks (that's what I was warned could happen), I may sneak back up to Atlanta and see about having the original dealer (Jim Ellis Mazda) provide a second opinion and see if I really do need a new stereo.

Keep us, and by us I mean me, updated. :)
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 09:25:24 PM »
Update: parts are in, and the car goes in at 8 am Monday morning.

Warranty status: COVERED!  ;)

However, the stereo situation, like the power window one, was not all that it seemed.  Apparently, the volume WILL change according to the vehicle's speed.  WTF? I have two frickin' sets of volume controls...in-dash and on the steering wheel.  Why the HELL do I need my car stereo tied to the accelerator and brakes?!  :mental: WTF was Mazda (or Ford) thinking?

Besides, this never even occurred until a few weeks ago.  So the dealer is going to make some sort of adjustment to allow me to change the volume myself ONLY!

I was also having issues with another window, so that's being fixed too at no charge (motor issue, it seems).

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 09:31:26 PM »
Sounds like this dealership is treating you well.  :)

Glad the warranty is working out too!  Also the stereo increasing with speed is a pretty common feature these days.  Usually there's a way to turn that feature off, it would be in the manual.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:34:34 PM by Miss Mia »
Stink Eye

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 09:32:36 PM »

However, the stereo situation, like the power window one, was not all that it seemed.  Apparently, the volume WILL change according to the vehicle's speed.  WTF? I have two frickin' sets of volume controls...in-dash and on the steering wheel.  Why the HELL do I need my car stereo tied to the accelerator and brakes?!  :mental: WTF was Mazda (or Ford) thinking?

Besides, this never even occurred until a few weeks ago.  So the dealer is going to make some sort of adjustment to allow me to change the volume myself ONLY!

I was also having issues with another window, so that's being fixed too at no charge (motor issue, it seems).

My King Ranch stereo also increases volume with speed. It's a nice feature because I often drive with my windows down. As my speed increases, so does the road noise. I don't have to worry about the stereo as much because the stereo cranks itself up, all by itself  to overcome the road noise. I also have stereo controls on my steering wheel and on the dash.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 09:34:39 PM »
However, the stereo situation, like the power window one, was not all that it seemed.  Apparently, the volume WILL change according to the vehicle's speed.  WTF? I have two frickin' sets of volume controls...in-dash and on the steering wheel.  Why the HELL do I need my car stereo tied to the accelerator and brakes?!   WTF was Mazda (or Ford) thinking?

:rofl:  :-) maybe Ford was anticipating their usual build quality.  You know, noisy engine, noisy brakes, lets turn up the radio to cover it up.  :rotf:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 09:38:07 PM »
My King Ranch stereo also increases volume with speed. It's a nice feature because I often drive with my windows down. As my speed increases, so does the road noise. I don't have to worry about the stereo as much because the stereo cranks itself up, all by itself  to overcome the road noise. I also have stereo controls on my steering wheel and on the dash.

The way my volume increases, it's so abrupt and often increases a little too much, which is why I hate it.   I'll have it set at the volume I prefer it, and then when I speed up (especially in stop and go traffic) that's when it becomes entirely obnoxious.  If it were the interstate, which is where my car spends much of its time, it wouldn't be near as noticeable, I suppose. 

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to control the volume myself.  *shrugs*   I'm used to my car's other quirk, but this one just drives me nuts (especially since I have hypersensitive hearing).

Offline Chris_

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 09:40:04 PM »
ACC, my dear, my friend... I've since come to the realization, you're the stereo-typical girl whom poses problems for dealerships  :tongue:

BUT... WE STILL LOVE YOU... and WE FIND IT CUTE AND GOOD FOR A LAUGH  :cheersmate: HUGS!  :innocent:

:asssmack: I AM NOT! 

I hardly ever go to dealerships to get car repairs because I've had some bad experiences with them (an Atlanta Mazda dealer that shall remain anonymous)  I usually go to private mechanics (back in Atlanta, anyway).  Since I'm in Savannah, I have yet to find a good mechanic not affiliated with a dealership. 

Though I do like Fairway... a truly family-owned business.  :)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 09:41:43 PM »
The way my volume increases, it's so abrupt and often increases a little too much, which is why I hate it.   I'll have it set at the volume I prefer it, and then when I speed up (especially in stop and go traffic) that's when it becomes entirely obnoxious.  If it were the interstate, which is where my car spends much of its time, it wouldn't be near as noticeable, I suppose. 

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to control the volume myself.  *shrugs*   I'm used to my car's other quirk, but this one just drives me nuts (especially since I have hypersensitive hearing).

maybe it's a "feature" that can be turned off.  Some radios don't have regular controls, you have to punch a series of buttons and some other crap to get it to do what you want.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 09:44:42 PM »

For the love of God, never EVER play "Highway Star" or "Hollywood Nights."  We will never hear from you again!