Author Topic: power window trouble  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
power window trouble
« on: September 28, 2008, 04:35:03 PM »
Alright... my Mazda 6 is having issues again.

When I went out to the car today on lunch break, and pressed the unlock button on the remote, BOTH of my front windows went all the way down (No, I did not "pimp my ride" as a smart-ass co-worker asked!  :hammer: )

A more intelligent co-worker suggested that there might be some sort of "cross-routing" issue in the wiring, which makes sense, but I want others' opinions.

How long would it take something like this to be repaired, and how much? (on a budget here, obviously).

I'm taking the car to the dealer first thing in the morning, but I'd like to be prepared before they try to screw me over like they did before.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Re: power window trouble
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 05:34:11 PM »
Sounds like you're having the same problem as this person:
http://forums.mazdaworld.org/index.php?showtopic=26635
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 05:37:13 PM »
Sounds like you're having the same problem as this person:
http://forums.mazdaworld.org/index.php?showtopic=26635

Alright, I'm going to go try the suggestions posted in that thread and see what happens.  Thanks for finding that! :) 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 05:54:59 PM »
Okay, I followed the instructions and repeated the experiment 3 times and got the windows to go down after holding the unlock button on the remote down for a couple of seconds. However, when locking the vehicle, and holding the lock button, they do NOT go back up.  :confused:

Apparently this is a built-in feature/quirk of the vehicle, but how can that be, since it's not even mentioned in the owner's manual?

I'm having a chat with the dealer tomorrow.  Some 6 owners may like this feature, but I don't!   :hammer:

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:23:04 AM »
The windows of my son's Chrysler minivan just went down and wouldn't come up. Apprently there's a "gear", not sure if right term, that's common in most brands of cars. I talked to the BMW repairman and he said that there are only 2 sources of these window mechanisms. Neither are particularly good, so many cars are sharing these problems. He said the 3 series of BMW's were having particular problems.

My boss's son has a Jeep and sadly, all 4 windows eventually went out. He said it was exactly $375 each to have them fixed.

Hope yours is something that they can easily fix. The rear window on the driver's side in my car won't come back up easily after it's down. I just never open it as don't feel like paying for the repair.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 12:36:09 AM »
If folks would pull off the door panels and lube the tracks & gears every year or so, power windows wouldn't be such a PITA or so expensive to repair........

just sayin'..........

Y'all know the old adage, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline guest

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 12:45:24 AM »
Whoops, forgot to update.

Well, my power window "problem" isn't actually a problem as it turns out.  It actually IS something Mazda installed in ALL of its newer cars. :mental:  My visit to the car dealer took awhile (getting a back window replaced), but I told them about the other "problem,"  and the guy in the service bay snickered at me when I explained what was happening.   When he told me about this "surprise" feature Mazda put in, I wanted to  :hammer:  him. 

I finally found something last night in the  owner's manual that very briefly discusses how if you press the unlock button once, then hold it down again, both front windows drop immediately. 

I have never heard of such a feature before, and honestly, I don't like it all that much.

Also, according to a message board posting I discovered, that it can be reprogrammed to not do that.  If the car had a moon/sunroof, the remote would allow it to open too.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 12:47:40 AM by ACrazyConservative »

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 06:04:58 PM »
I finally found something last night in the  owner's manual that very briefly discusses how if you press the unlock button once, then hold it down again, both front windows drop immediately. 

I have never heard of such a feature before, and honestly, I don't like it all that much.

Also, according to a message board posting I discovered, that it can be reprogrammed to not do that.  If the car had a moon/sunroof, the remote would allow it to open too.

I suppose it helps if it's 120* in your car on a July afternoon.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.