Author Topic: April unemployment rises to 9.9%  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
April unemployment rises to 9.9%
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:56:39 PM »
The U.S. jobless rate rose to 9.9% in April, the first increase in three months, but the government’s broader measure of unemployment ticked up for the third month in a row, rising 0.2 percentage point to 17.1%.

The comprehensive gauge of labor underutilization, known as the “U-6″ for its data classification by the Labor Department, accounts for people who have stopped looking for work or who can’t find full-time jobs. Though the rate is still 0.3 percentage point below its high of 17.4% in October, its continuing divergence from the official number (the “U-3″ unemployment measure) indicates the job market has a long way to go before growth in the economy translates into relief for workers.[snip]

The U-6 figure includes everyone in the official rate plus “marginally attached workers” — those who are neither working nor looking for work, but say they want a job and have looked for work recently; and people who are employed part-time for economic reasons, meaning they want full-time work but took a part-time schedule instead because that’s all they could find.

A U-6 figure that converges toward the official rate could indicate improving confidence in the labor market and the overall economy. This month pushes convergence even further away.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2010/05/07/broader-u-6-unemployment-rate-increases-to-171-in-april/
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: April unemployment rises to 9.9%
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:15:36 PM »
Obama calls job numbers 'very encouraging'
Higher unemployment is a good thing.  This guy is a moron. :thatsright:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 02:36:49 PM »

The liberal spin on this is un-freaking-believable.  But of course, I'm not surprised.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 05:13:48 PM »
This is somehow good news.

A FReeper posted a 2003 article about how disappointing a 5.9% unemployment was.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 07:27:45 PM »
This is somehow good news.

A FReeper posted a 2003 article about how disappointing a 5.9% unemployment was.

Yeah back then an UE number of 5.9% was the second great depression.  :mental:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:38:07 PM by Freeper »
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 07:37:20 PM »
I figured him out. Of course it is encouraging to him, after all he wants to destroy the economy so he can get more Government involvement, therefore higher numbers Happy Obama!

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16